Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Does anyone have an outdoor boiler
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Does anyone have an outdoor boiler Next Topic  

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  07:20:24 AM  Show Profile
I have a 160 year old big brick farm house. It is made from 3 layers of brick with plaster inside. NO ISULATION. Well we replaced the old indoor boiler with a new super efficent model and only saw a small inprovement on the gas bill. Then I got a wood burning firplace insert but it can only warm the room it is in(warm not hot like the brochure said) because of the heat loss from the house. Well now we are looking into an outdoor wood boiler but at the cost of $10,000 to $15,000 installed (we would do the work) I am wondering if this is the way to go. It would be free heat but i have heard some bad things about them like rusting out. And so far we have no EPA regulations in Pennsylvania but I know this is a concern. I am tired of spending all this money and my bedroom still is 62 degrees in the winter. Anyone know anything about them?

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  09:06:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't know anything about them, but is there anyway to put some insulation in the attic? My mom also has been painting her interior walls with insulation beads added to the paint. http://www.hytechsales.com/

Do you use insulated curtains on your windows in the winter? That might help as well.

Hope you find some solutions to help warm up your house!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  09:17:22 AM  Show Profile
Jane, my sis in No. Missouri had a similar problem. She and her hubby got the spray on expanding insulation foam done under their drywall, they did a room at a time, it seals all cracks and gaps, it acts as a dry barrior between the outer layer, ( yours being brick) and the drywall. They also did a double layer in their attic space, i.e., attic floor and ceiling, and of course any wallspace. Good luck

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  2:58:03 PM  Show Profile
We have one and love it! Of course, my husband has all the free wood he could possibly want, with the farm here. He has to put some sort of conditioner in the water. We have had no issues (yet) with it rusting out. The only thing that has happened was after a few years, the piping that went from the furnace to the house, it is encased in larger piping, and the joints separated (we noticed spots in the backyard where the snow was melting in a specific pattern!). He had to dig down and patch the joints, and it's been fine since.

We've had it for about 7 years now; you can store your wood outside, too, and it can be larger chunks. He's just been cleaning up fallen wood from the property, hasn't had to cut anything yet.

The expense was large, initially, but it does pay itself off. It heats our hot water, too.

We have no issues with the smoke regulations here, but we made sure it would not be blowing at the neighbour's home.

Hope this helps!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Does anyone have an outdoor boiler Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page