FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  05:49:13 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, honestly, I hate to say this but I would simple tell them you can't attend and then see what happens. At that point, I'm pretty sure your brother will speak up! Unfortunately, it's not your parents place to say it's "alright"--and that stinks. I know people get really adamant about the "no kids" rule, but I still don't comprehend it. Look, I didn't even KNOW I wanted children until I found out I was pregnant with Violet last July...but I've never been so full of myself that I thought they would "ruin" any sort of celebration. It's a wedding, not a knighting by the Queen of England!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  7:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Back in 1973,at our wedding, my husbands 6 yr. old neice suddenly said out loud for the whole congregation to hear, " Mommy he kissed her!" just as my husband "kissed the bride". We and everyone else thought it was so sweet! I don't remember much from our wedding but I remember that very fondly.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  10:52:34 PM  Show Profile
My best friend is getting married soon (as if y'all didn't know yet, lol) and her bridesmaids are a 2 yr old and a 12 year old . One is HER sister's girl and the other HIS sister's girl. There will be more babies attending during the civil AND church service. I can't imagine ANYONE being opposed to having babies at such a happy occasion. I mean in many marriages babies WILL be born someday, what do they do then? Throw them in the trunk of a car when they go someplace?? YIKES I don't even like to go to a wedding when there are no babies around, LOVE babies

On a side note: When there is a friends baby attending a regular Sunday service, he often starts to whimper or cry during the Pastor's sermon lol. The pastor told the parents to PLEASE bring the baby as often as they wished because then : people would stay awake during the sermon
Funny, because when the congregation sings, the baby is quiet and as soon as the sermon starts, he starts to whimper But then again, our pastor is the best!!

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  10:55:14 PM  Show Profile
OH a second thing I just remember: Mt friend will take playthings to church. So the littlest bridesmaid can play if she gets fidgety. BUT it will be IN the church itself, so mom and dad can always watch both the ceremony AND the girl. And more kids can/will play with them, so there will BOUND to be noises heard

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  06:02:55 AM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by MagnoliaWhisper

I've always thought it was stupid to not have children at such events. I can't imagine having a childless wedding........

Who wouldn't want children to coem to their wedding?!? That would be pretty boring with children!

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  09:07:00 AM  Show Profile
Well Belle, my brother and his new wife wouldn't allow my son to come to their wedding yesterday. I couldn't get a sitter, so I didn't go to the reception. My husband and I attended the church ceremony and then left to pick our son up from school. I am still shocked and hurt that my brother allowed this to occur. My brother is 16 years younger then I am and I was his sister, godmother, and surrogate mother. I have dropped everything to run and help him when he needed it and two years ago he was in serious need after having a breakdown. My new sister-in-law and her mother stuck to the "no kids" rule and said they wouldn't bend it for anyone. I think starting a new life with lots of hard feelings all around you isn't a good way to go, but they got their way.

My husband and I took our little guy out to dinner after we picked him up to a fancy Italian restaurant. Dinner took nearly 2 hours and my little boy behaved perfectly. No one sitting around us would not have been able to tell a "kid" was in the room unless they looked at our table.

I will never able to forget or forgive how the happy couple treated my son and us. I can only hope they have the same treatment done to them sometime in the future. Not nice to say, but that's how I feel.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  5:26:34 PM  Show Profile
I can not imagine one of my brothers doing that. They just wouldn't! Our parents once we are adults aren't much for telling us what to do.....but with all the children they have, I can't imagine they would sit back with that. I'm sure my step mother would raise a stink to my brothers about no children. However, like I said, I can't imagine them doing that any way. They all love children.

UHG, who would want to start a life with bridezilla! yuck! I hope she can get over herself enough so that your brother doesn't have another break down.

I believe some day you will be able to forgive him......but may never forget. I've had some pretty hard things in my family to forgive and eventually did (not being invited to a wedding, where I thought I should of......well to be quite honest, I will just say it! My dad did not invite me to his wedding to his second wife. I was very very upset about it for about 30 years. Especially since her family was in it-children my same age at the time, and he had told me the reason I couldn't come was because children weren't allowed. I was fine with that (I was 5) till I seen the pics, and seen lots of children there. all her family!) Any way........my dad finally apologized to me a few years ago about it.....but I had finally let it go. Also I had held a grudge against my step mother all that time, and come to find out, she had begged my dad to have me in the wedding and there, and he was the one who had said no. I thought he had been side lined by her about it all those years. Any way, live and learn.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  06:11:05 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry to hear that you've been through this too Heather. I'm glad you were able to finally work it out with your father in the end.

I don't wish my brother bad luck in his new marriage, but bridezilla has really put him through the mills this year. I hope she is worth all the pain and trouble she has caused, but I doubt it.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Babies and Wedding Etiquette Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page