Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I have Jury Duty in the morning.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I have Jury Duty in the morning. Next Topic  

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  3:51:29 PM  Show Profile
In my village I have had jury dudy 3 maybe 4 times and usually was out in under 2 hours, and I was picked to serve. Tomorrow I have jury duty in the city. I hope I don't get picked. I heard they can last for days or longer. Any nice jury duty stories or scaty ones out there?

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  5:26:21 PM  Show Profile
I was called for jury duty a couple of months ago. Before serving, I was sent a juror number and phone number to call daily to see if I was called for that day. I had to go in one late morning....was there for 1 hour then sent home. The case was settled. Usually, I never have to go in. I hope your jury duty will be as easy!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  5:27:43 PM  Show Profile
I was called in once about 12 years or so ago. I didn't have to serve but had to be there just in case for several days.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  7:57:38 PM  Show Profile
Oh no Diane, Now you can't take your get away trip and escape for a few days. Phooey!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  9:11:26 PM  Show Profile
I sat on a jury for a civil trial about 10 years ago. It lasted 4 days and was fascinating! I really enjoyed being part of the process. So, when I got called about 3 years ago, I was excited (yeah, my DH thinks I'm crazy too!). I got picked for that jury too, but it was criminal trial...let's just say that I could go the rest of my life and be happy if I don't have to sit on another criminal jury! This guy is now doing 2 life sentences for kidnapping his exgirlfriend and dropping her off literally in the middle of nowhere in the Rocky Mtns, and attempting to kill her present boyfriend! After all was said and done and we could know about this guy, we found out that he was part of a conspiracy group on the east coast and they liked to blow up utilities. He was sent to a prison in the south (TN, maybe?) where he murdered his cell mate. I'm not sure why he was ever let out, but he was and made a bee-line for Montana...I didn't sleep for a week after the trial and we, the jury, got to find all this out about him. There are nights still that I'll have a nightmare about him and worry he'll escape and come for me and/or my family. Ok, so I know I have an overactive imagination, but just the same, he still interrupts my sleep sometimes.

Don't want to freak you out, Diane, but you asked for jury stories! LOL

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  06:19:38 AM  Show Profile
When I lived in Norfolk, I had jury duty. It was pretty boring..just battled all the rush hour traffic, to go sit in a room, and wait to see if my name would be called to sit in the jury box. Some of the stories people in the room told me, was that some of them had been in jury duty like 4 or 5 times, in less than 5 years!! One lady said that it seemed that the city picked the same people over and over again. Yikes!!

I was fortunate to only have to sit an' watch a horrible tv channel for the 4 hours I was in the courthouse. The people around me were ready to go to a bar or something by the time it was over. The case was settled out of court, so we all went home.

An' I guess tha's better than hearing what the guy did that the trial was about...ugh...

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  06:57:43 AM  Show Profile
When they interview you, tell them you can spot a murderer/rapist/ or whatever a mile away. They'll let you out for sure! HA! (had a lawyer tell me that one)
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  09:08:15 AM  Show Profile
I've always wanted to get called but never do. I am a paralegal and probably wouldn't get to actually sit, but I love the selection process! Have done it many times with my boss! It's fun to see who gets "weeded out"!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  11:18:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- I would love to sit on the attorney side of jury selection to see the mindset of who gets chosen and why! Facinating!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  11:35:53 AM  Show Profile
It is really interesting, Alee. You are given a huge pool of people, and first, on the law firm side, each person in the firm goes through the names to see if there is any affiliation. You mark it down. Once you reach the actual trial, each counsel asks a series of questions and you go through and strike or keep the jurors that respond in kind to the questions asked. Pretty interesting!!! For example, for a slip and fall case in which the Plaintiff lost wages due to a preventable accident and ultimate injury, but is suing the Defendant for damages, (you represent the Defendant), you wouldn't want someone who had filed a workman's comp claim, or someone who suffered an injury while working and was temporarily disabled due to that injury because they can identify emotionally.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  11:48:31 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I have done jury duty twice and both times it was fascinating...I really liked it.
As a patriotic person I firmly feel that it is one of the greatest privileges we have as Americans.

I'd like to tell ya the stories....later today when I can type.

Linda in Scranton, PA

"I dare you to scare yourself with how beautiful you are."

Rob Brezsny from http://freewillastrology.com/home.shtml
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  12:05:15 PM  Show Profile
I got out of it when I showed them my license I'm from a different county. So my DH & I took our grandson to the zoo. Which is always nice to go to.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I have Jury Duty in the morning. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page