Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  7:38:55 PM  Show Profile
I just returned from the vet. He determined that Howie's back had been fractured, without a doubt from being shaken by that woman's dog. He had no feeling in his legs at all, which I could have dealt with, but he would have had no control over his bladder or bowels as that part of him was paralyzed as well. After asking the vet what he would do, I went with his recommendation and had Howie euthanized. It is such a cruel end for a kitten that did nothing but be small and innocent. We are all heartbroken.

Our cat, Meredith, had kittens six weeks ago and my mom found a home for the two males with a friend of hers. Well, yesterday Howie, a little orange and white sweetheart, and Tobais, his cute-as-pie brother left to begin a great adventure. Or so I thought. They came home today.
Apparently the woman's dog had Howie in his mouth within 20 minutes and she had to command him to drop the kitten. After that, who knows what happened, but this morning I got a phone call from her telling me that Howie began dragging his legs behind him last night and she had no explanation as to why. She said that she was going to have to return both kittens because she cannot afford a vet visit. I am so heartsick. This poor baby cannot move his back legs and has to fling himself to get on his side. It took most of the morning to get his mother to nurse him, probably because he now smelled like somone else's house. My sister is visiting and she called the woman, who promptly called our mother to tell her that she just received a phone call from her rude daughter. All she asked was for an explanation as to what happened and this woman changed her story at every turn.
Now it is me who will have to take the kitten to the vet on Monday (their appointment schedule is full until then), which I cannot really afford to do myself. My fear is that they will have to euthanize Howie and the thought makes me ill.
I am so mad I could spit and, more so, disappointed that this "friend" of my mother's had no problem returning an injured cat and shifting the burden of care to someone else.
Some friend, huh?

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com

Edited by - Mumof3 on Aug 17 2009 1:18:40 PM

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  8:30:57 PM  Show Profile
That is not any kind of friend, period! People like that should NEVER be allowed to have pets, cause as you have seen, they don't really care. When you bring that poor baby to the vet, get a written report of his injuries and what was recommended, then I would go straight to the humane society and file a report. This is a case of cruelty, and she should answer for it, because if she doesn't, she will do it again down the line to other babies.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  8:57:35 PM  Show Profile
Karin, I would be giving her a piece of my mind! If my dog got a hold of the cat I would have immediately called to return them because of incompatibility before there were any injuries! That is so wrong to return an animal after it gets hurt in your care because you can't afford vet bills! she should have thought of that before and should have NEVER taken the cats! As Teresa said I would file a report!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  10:46:24 PM  Show Profile
Teresa said it all!!!! That is exactly what I was going to say. Evidently these people are NOT animal-loving people. I would report them ASAP. I am madder than mad just reading this. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  08:01:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh that is so sad! Poor kitten!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  08:12:04 AM  Show Profile
Years ago we had a friend that had a cat that couldn't move his hind legs, that goofy cat lived a very long healthy life as an indoor cat.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  09:04:22 AM  Show Profile
What an awful thing, poor little mite. People who are so rotten about their animals shouldn't have any. I am so sorry to hear about this, I don't wonder that you are so upset....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  3:06:51 PM  Show Profile
Sick!! Some people are just plain SICK!!!

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  3:49:28 PM  Show Profile
Actually, reading the situation, it could very well be that the DOG INJURED this kitten to the point it couldn't walk--and NOW she wants to return it?? Oh dear heavens that would make me mad. I don't think she should have animals, period. Some nerve!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
Plan to save America the old fashioned way!
http://wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com/2009/05/big-project.html
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  05:57:32 AM  Show Profile
That is UNbelieveable. Some people are really twisted. If they can't afford a vet visit, they had NO business accepting the kittens in the first place. OMG!!!!

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  08:46:32 AM  Show Profile
No, the lady shouldn't have taken them but, I'm looking at the silver lining here, at least she is returning them so they can get help. She's offloading a problem, sure, but the kittens are better off with Karin than with her. It's a no-win situ but at least the blessed little kitties may have a better chance.

No way would I ever let this lady take another animal of mine!

Winona ;-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  10:12:02 AM  Show Profile
You have all so eloquently expressed the same sadness I feel about our poor kitten. Howie is trying to hitch himself up upon his back legs today. He is a very determined to get where he needs to be. He will pull himself along on his front legs and raise his back legs under him- he looks like a caterpillar inching across the floor. I am taking this as a good sign. The back right leg is still limp but the left appears to have a bit of strength to it. Tomorrow I take him to the vet to be checked. He does not have bladder control so I have to clean him frequently during the day. A quick spritz with the spray at the sink and he is good to go! He hates it.
I will let you know what the vet says. Please pray for a positive visit.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  10:47:02 AM  Show Profile
Here's hoping the vet will have good news for you. Howie sounds like a sweetheart.

another Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  8:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Awwww this is so sad :( Why in the world did this woman offer to take the kittens if she had dogs who weren't used to cats? This sounds like the poor wee kitten might have spinal cord injuries. Maybe if he's lucky it's just bruising and once the trauma heals he'll be okay. I'd definitely file a report and file a lawsuit in small claims for the amount it costs you for the vet services. This woman should be made to pay for this situation she allowed to happen.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://www.Tapestry2u.Etsy.com

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  1:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Karin, that is sad. But he's not suffering anymore and you did all you could do to make the last few days better for him. I am so sorry this has happened. The dog probably didn't mean to do that but that lady should not have put small kittens in with big dogs. And she should have been more responsible. Most people are. Sorry you had to deal with her problem but the poor kitten was better off with you for sure. You did the right thing.

Hugs, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  2:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thats so sad. But I'm glad he's no longer suffering.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  2:24:53 PM  Show Profile
Well that is just so heartbreaking, I have had to put a kitty down and it is just so sad. You did the best thing, the hardest thing.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  2:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
That is very sad. I'm so sorry for you all. I truly believe there's a special place in Dante's inferno for people like her.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  3:30:48 PM  Show Profile
That women should be horse whipped, I just DO NOT understand how a human being can be so cold , and cruel to some of Gods littlest creatures. I really hope you have filed a report against her, and will let the humane dept prosecute to the fullest extent of the law!

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  5:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so sorry! *hugs* That is such a sad end to a sad story.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  7:17:43 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry. God bless poor little Howie and may He do something to shake that woman up.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  05:44:25 AM  Show Profile
Poor baby! I'm sorry it ended this way, and I agree with everything you all are saying about the woman with the dog. I hope she's not somebody you have to deal with on a regular basis, I'd have a hard time speaking to her again.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  06:01:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Karin, I am so sad and so sorry for the situation. Poor little man. I can NEVER understand why these little ones suffer. I commend you for being strong and doing what is right for Howie..it is never easy, but he will no longer suffer. Ugh. I'm at work and my mascara is all over my face. I will say a prayer for his little soul...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  07:24:58 AM  Show Profile
That is just awful. If this woman had any sort of conscious at all she would pay your vet bill. You should mail it to her!

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  11:32:17 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for your kitty. You did the right thing. I don't know how that woman can sleep at night. You were a blessing to that kitty.

how sweet it is to love some one, how right itis to care
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  1:14:53 PM  Show Profile
This is so sad. You all are in my prayers. I don't understand people like that at all.

(((Hug)))

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How? Why? Sad news. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page