Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Water in my basement - think it's a sign
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Water in my basement - think it's a sign Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  11:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Six feet of water, to be exact. Last Tuesday. Six and a half inches of rain fell in just over an hour and a half. And the dh was in AZ all week on business. I left work and drove for over an hour trying to get out of the business district downtown(usually takes me 10 minutes to get home). So I left my car and set out on foot. Walked for 3 hours(I've done this walk before-1 hr., 15 min.) and when I finally got a block from home, there was only what appeared to be a lake. All I could think of was the animals in the house. But the water stopped an inch short of the kitchen and first floor. The furnace, water heater, washer,dryer,freezer are toast(words of the insurance adjustor). I rented a huge dumpster and hauled buckets of oozy wet junk(including, but not limited to: nearly all our clothes, my children's book collection, food, and just stuff of 25 years and threw it in the dumpster. The dh finally got home late Sunday. I'm sick and tired of sewage(not rainwater, but sewer backup).. Think I'm going to downsize now. I realized that I don't need so many clothes(wet clothes and wet books weigh a ton). I think it's time to move to the farm and leave the city behind(this is SO not the first time for water in the basement-just not six feet). 323 days and counting(quitting the end of June 2010). The day I leave work, I'm driving to the farm and not looking back!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  12:07:41 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry. It is such a mess to deal with. Thankfully all of your animals are ok. I don't blame you one bit for counting the days down. We have plenty of disasters here on our farm , but if I have to deal with them its better here. I heard about the flooking in your area. Hope this is the end of it.
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  12:12:52 PM  Show Profile
Janice, I am SOOOO Sorry to hear this! Your plan sounds like a good one! I had a tree fall through my house back in 2001..completely caved in the roof, and filled the house with water (poured 16 inches in 24 hours)...(this was the storm that started the flooding of the entire city of Houston, if ya'll remember) Had to do exactly what you did...but My animals and I survived....just had to live in a hotel suite for 4 months and Board my animals at the Vet Clinic I worked at, but sure did "rid myself of some serious clutter" I know it's hard now, but things like this make us realize how important the Non-materialistc things are and how not important the materialistic things are. I trully hope that you didn't lose anything that can not be replaced, and so glad to hear of your plan to move to the farm!!

If you need anything...blankets, sheets, towels....someone to vent and scream to...lol....just shout at me...even if you don't need me to send something...maybe someone else in your neighborhood needs something...just let me know! Glad that You are OK!! FarmGirl Hugs and Smiles, Kelley

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  12:40:13 PM  Show Profile
What a mess! Sounds like you lost some things of great value - your childrens books and I'm sure other treasured belongings.
I'm sorry you have suffered this. My BIL and nephews went through this very thing last September. He's just now getting to the point of having everything replaced and redone.

Hope things are looking brighter for you now. And, keep counting.....the time will go by fast and you will be living your dream.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  12:41:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh Janice, I feel so sorry for you! Yuckkkk! What a nightmare, and I hope the farmhouse fared okay. No water there right? Boy, will it be a great day when you go there to stay. This really helped you clean out (literally) the stuff you may not really need, and now you can get new appliances!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  1:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Janice, I'm counting the days with you. How nice that will be. So sorry for the big wet mess. What a big job that must be cleaning that all up. At least that takes a lot of the decision making out of your hands for down sizing. We got your weather here the last few days. We are ok, but several towns near by have a big mess. Well, good luck, if I lived nearby I would come help you.
Nancy JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  2:23:04 PM  Show Profile
Janice, was this in your new old house? The one you've been working on all this time? I had no idea ya'll were getting so much rain up there. I have not had the tv on in a week or even listened to radio. I am so sorry this happened to you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  2:28:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh Janice, I am so sorry to hear all this! That is just awful! Thank heavens you have a farm to go to in 323 days!

Hugs!
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44

http://sweetsassysadielee.blogspot.com
http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com
http://beehivecottage.etsy.com
http://sassysadielee.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  4:16:50 PM  Show Profile
Janice:
My DH and I have been through two floods; 2005 & 2008, I can relate to what you are saying and what you mean. I am so sorry it happened to you. I am also more than ready to downsize. Too much junk! The floods got rid of more than half of the junk! LOL I wish I were there to help you. Take care.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  4:34:47 PM  Show Profile
Janice-
That's awful-so sorry to hear about the house. I can't imagine what it must be like-haven't been in a flood yet but have been in some good quakes. My thoughts are with you & your animals....

http://www.mandochicks.com
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
@MandolinChick on Twitter
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  5:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Janice! What a horrible ordeal! Especially after over 4 hours just to get home! Yikes! I bet all you wanted to do is sit down and get dry and then you found that mess!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  10:36:14 PM  Show Profile
Janice,
first of all I am very glad to see you girl!!!!! I am so sorry you have had to deal with sludge, sewage, damaged household goods, and waaahhhhhhh about your childrens books. 323 days girl I am sure is sounding like heaven to you. Wish I was there to help ya girl!!!!!

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:35:18 AM  Show Profile
I'm just glad you and your animals are okay. The rest is just 'stuff' and can be replaced but you can't be!! Nor your precious animals! I think the sewage thing would be the breaking point for me...

What I have found is you move to a new place and try to keep it clutter-free...no such thing. The moment you move in, you start collecting!

Winona ;-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  09:53:01 AM  Show Profile
Water is the messiest to clean, My husband helped his friend throw out a lot of his stuff last week when his basement flooded. I don't have a basement, that may be a good thing. I live on the top of a big hill and my side yard is full of water. About 10 years ago we lost 2 people from a flood. They went to try to get the aniamals out of the basement and a window broke. The animals made it out but Jason & Rachael didn't. Flood waters are the worst, I am glad you have a place to move to.
I put everything in the big plastic bins and before they go in there I put most things in the bags that you vaccume shut. That may be something you want to look into. Best of luck to you now and in your new home. (((Hugs)))

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  5:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for all the good wishes! And the offers to help. Wish you were all here! LOL! We finally got all the junk out today and paid to have the basement 'sanitized' and the appliances moved out(475.00). Bought a new water heater we'll put in this weekend(hate cold showers!) New furnace coming tomorrow. It just seems never ending. I've still got some pottery and a few other things that survived I need to clean. Put a big washtub in the driveway and just keep scrubbing away. The good news is that the basement never smelled so good! :) And it has never been so completely empty! HAHAHA I feel worse for my neighbors all around. One of them had no insurance.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  9:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh no! No insurance! That is scary!! Note to self- always have homeowner insurance!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Water in my basement - think it's a sign Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page