AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  8:37:02 PM  Show Profile
This year we didn't plant a large garden because Roger wanted to do some grading of the old, slanted garden space. But God must want us to be farmers, because He made sure we had several things "volunteer" in that space. So far this summer we've had many dozens of cucumbers (enough that I haven't run out of cucumber salad since June!). This afternoon we were walking at the very back of the property and noticed a vigorous vine along the ground with lots of flowers. I think it's a watermelon - we must have missed one last year and it just seeded itself and decided to grow! I love surprises like this!

Anybody else have a "volunteer" army?

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  07:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is great, Holly!

I don't have any volunteers this year since this is the first year of our garden. However when I used to garden at my parent's home I only had to plant tomatoes one year. I guess enough got ripe and fell each year that they re-seeded themselves! It was great!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  10:27:20 AM  Show Profile
Last year we had a giant pumpkin patch out in our field. This year the goats reside in that field. And my garden in the yard is kinda limited on space so we decided we could live without pumpkins this year. Low and behold there is pumpkins growing along side the barn. Four huge pumpkins. One for each of my kids. It's like it was meant to be!! ;)

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  8:03:38 PM  Show Profile
How great is that! Sometimes for all the fussing we do over our plants, we just need to be reminded that basically, they really WANT to grow! I actually have about a dozen little, tiny watermelons on my vine. Guess we'll have to have a party when they all come ripe!

Margie
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  8:37:56 PM  Show Profile
I love bird planted veggys, you never know where they are going to pop up. Its almost always a wonderful surprise to find pumpkins in the pasture, tomatos next to the butcher shop, peppers in the laying hen yard, etc. I love my veggys, and if they pop up in enough places, I can eat my lunch as I'm working, cause its fresh and good.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Volunteers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page