Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My horse photo Next Topic  

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  1:14:32 PM  Show Profile

Here's the "golden boy" or rather, the golden boys. [:) Q was a bit irritated at being asked to pose and just knew there was something better to do with his time. I'd just hosed him off and wanted to get this shot before the wheat harvest. He is growing nicely. 14 months old. The dapples were a nice surprise when he shed out his winter woolies.

We make a difference.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  1:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
He is growing up beautifully, Michelle! I love how soft his eye is! I see you are using a cotton lead rope like me. Be careful- it looks like the tail end of yours is starting to fray. Mine did that and actually completely fell apart as I was walking Tala- in the middle of the river with my water-phobic horse of all places! I am going to switch to nylon leads next month with my next "horse" paycheck.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  3:33:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee! I'll be sure to inspect the rope and repair/replace it. He's always mouthing it, so I really hate to go nylon. It's actually much longer than we need, so a repair just might be in order. I look at that face (the eye, ear, and top lip) and hear "Why? Seriously, we're doing This? I'm so outta here."

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  5:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yes, he definitly has the "teenager" look. LOL! I hope you can repair the cotton rope- the ends are supposed to be super tightly bound with the same strong string that the rope is made out of.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  6:14:09 PM  Show Profile
He is a beautiful horse, Michelle. He does have that look like he'd rather be elsewhere. But what a beauty. And the view is great. How lucky you are to live in such a beautiful place.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  8:09:08 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much! We do love it here Kristin. I told DH it's like we won the lottery to live here. Just gorgeous. I've done a fair bit of traveling, but I'm not looking for my bit of heaven any more. It's right here. :)

And Alee, you are so right. When I went to move the horses this evening, I took a close look at that lead and unraveled it just like that. Tied a knot to get through the evening move, and I'll see what I can do tomorrow to repair it. Hmm. Sailing knots may come in handy after all, even here in the Palouse. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  8:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well that was serendipity that you used that lead in the picture and that I had had a similar problem! Glad yours wasn't when it was actually attached to the horse like mine was! LOL (Luckily Tala stayed right with me!). My lead rope was only a month old, so I exchanged it at the store. I noticed the new one was "Tighter" from top to bottom, so I am wondering if mine was just a dud or something. How old is your rope?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  9:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
He's beautiful! Wish I had a horse.....
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  08:21:18 AM  Show Profile
Maggie, you can come love on my horses any time. :)

Alee, the rope is about a year old. When I looked at it last night, the strands were just sort of braided back into the main rope, and had just reached the last few braided loops. I guess like a bungee jumper, I just need to be sure to check my equipment more often. It looked like any pulling force would tighten the strands and keep holding together (for a time). But better not to chance it. I'm so thankful for the heads-up. Q has gotten loose before, but bless his horsey heart, he doesn't like it and is easily talked into going where I want him. Horses are such characters. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  08:31:51 AM  Show Profile
Getting loose stories:

This winter, I went down to feed, and the gate was wide open. No sense wondering who/how/why, it just was. The horses were standing at their feeding stations, waiting. I fed them, closed the gate, and snooped around. There was snow on the ground, and I could easily see two tracks running out the gate and into the field, and those same tracks coming right back. I guess they were just curious, but felt safer "at home". I also credit Scout, the senior horse, for doing the right thing and knowing "out" was probably a bit of fun, but not normal and probably not safe. Whew!

Another time this spring, Q was so excited, that while I was putting the halter on his buddy getting ready to move them for evening feed, Q rushed past me and out the gate. Head up, "I'm free...ha ha ha!" a few bites of contraband grass from the other side of the fence and then head down, nose sniffing, ears on the alert. He was nervous. I latched the rope on Scout, lead him quietly out, and called to Q. He looked defiantly around, and walked in that odd hound-dog sniffing for a trail posture a few steps ahead of us the whole way back to the other secure pasture. He knew the route. He was just being a teenager, I guess. I stayed calm instead of listening to the panicked voice and I think that helped both horses keep from reacting badly. They pick up on emotions so fast.

No matter how careful, these things happen. I'm glad Tala stayed with you in the water and listened to you when her lead came loose. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  12:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle- the strands braid up to the metal ling, then back down and then are supposed to be wrapped with the thread. If they aren't wrapped with the thread (which I can see from the photo) I would tie a knot right under the clasp. On my lead roap there is a good 4 inches of braid and then a good 2-3 inches of machine bound wrap.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  4:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Wish I could Michelle! (smiles)
Maggie
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My horse photo Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page