Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Maybe not quite what I wanted??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Maybe not quite what I wanted?? Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  04:24:34 AM  Show Profile
Can't quite believe my posting this but for so long we were OTR truck drivers and couldn't wait to have a house and stay home.

Okay, now I'm home with a house and wished I were back on the road a little too much. Hello??

When we were on the road, we just went, probably pushed ourselves too hard (I know we did) and wanted time to relax and regroup and could barely think of nothing else. Now, we've been home for quite a while and I'm honestly starting to get bored. The house is done, the lawn is done, I can ride my horse all I want, cooking, cleaning once a week (there is only 2 of us humans and 2 mini-doxies), sit on the front porch and watch the world go by and wave at all the cars...

We joined the bowling league thinking that we'd meet some friends but they show up, do the three games and leave without much social interaction. I've had a couple of garage sales. Since I've traveled so much during my life, I have a hard time relating to the locals who haven't ever really done anything and don't keep up with the state of the U.S.

I think I'm getting slightly depressed. I think I have a job with a local trucking company but the more I think about it, I'd rather be winging away across at least the western half of the US without much to worry about.

We thought we'd get local jobs of any sort and stay home but nothing has come through. It's been pretty hard to find something locally that's why I'm falling back on truck driving. Then I think about 8-9 hrs a day with people I don't relate to, that would be torture almost for me. I've thought of even buying my own truck but I don't want the truck to own me, which it would.

This is just a vent (this site is so great for that!) but I feel like I'm kind of falling into a hole and won't be able to see daylight for a while. I'm not sure what hubby thinks but he's acting a little odd too and just knowing him, I'm thinking he's probably on the same thought wave.

I thought this was what I truly wanted...maybe not?? Can't believe I'm saying this!! Maybe reading this and then rereading later, something will hit from the blue and make me realize I-don't-know-what.

Winona

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  05:08:45 AM  Show Profile
Winona, I think it gets in the blood. My hubby drives and has been OTR for 18 yaers now. He is ready to go after a week at the most. Back in Jan. when he got sick and had to be out of work over 3 months it was torture for him. When he was well enuf after a few months he was ready to go. I was ready for him to go by then, too! I did enjoy having him around and doing all the house wifey things again, but yeah, I was ready to boot him out the door ASAP! But he gets lonely out there. He enjoys his time at home but then gets antsy after too long. So it does get in the blood. I know what you mean.

I hope you can find some middle ground before you do go bonkers with too much time on your hands. You can only do so much. It will all work out and you'll be ok soon. It will take some time to get used to all this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  07:12:21 AM  Show Profile
I definitely understand the appeal of travel. And many people find it hard to get used to being at home after they retire from a career. I hope you find something local soon that gives you the fun parts of the job without the stress.

My grandpa drove local food delivery routes all his working life, and he couldn't stand being retired. He went out and got a part time job driving for a science supply company...always had a good story about the crazy things he had to pick up. There was a shipment of live frogs that got loose in the back of the truck once.

Just a thought...have you checked out the USPS? Seems like they are always looking for delivery people and the catch is that it's on an "as-needed" basis, like a substitute teacher. You might enjoy driving a mail jeep around, and maybe you could do it all over your region. I'm guessing most people are looking for full-time, every day, close to home work, so you might have an edge there.
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  10:12:50 AM  Show Profile
Well, here's a surprise!! Hubby and I were sitting out on the front porch and just sort of talking and hubby said he's getting a little antsy too. Maybe drive 7 western?? So, starting Monday, we're going to really start checking out some companies. We're not giving up the house, we still need a place to live and I don't want to do 5th wheels anymore. So, we'll see what happens! I'm kinda little bit excited about it. Moreso than I've been in quite a bit.

Winona ;-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  10:37:58 AM  Show Profile
Winona, you remind me of the old song, "Torn between two lovers, feeling like a fool". Remember that one? I feel the same way except I don't want to go to work. We have a motorhome that pretty much sits there. I love my chickens and their eggs, my garden and especially now that we are in canning season and it's county fair time. I've had a grandkid or two over several times teaching them to can. Friends of ours just got home from a 25 day tour of just 2 states in their motorhome. Just saw and did everything. I want to do that. On the otherhand, I want a couple of pigs to feed out and maybe a couple of lambs. My-O-My, what to do??

Belle
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Maybe not quite what I wanted?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page