farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  7:31:04 PM  Show Profile
When I was a little girl, mother always used to bring home homemeade potato candy that one of her older clients (she is a hairstylist) would make for me. It was my FAVORITE candy ever. It was real sweet with peanut butter in the middle. As I grew up and moved out, I asked my mother what that candy was called. When she replied potato candy, I couldn't believe it was made from potato. I make it all the time now and my son goes bonkerz over it too. Anyone heard of this or tried it? If so what do you think of it?

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Instead of telling God how big your problem is....tell your problem how big God is.

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  7:35:30 PM  Show Profile
Angela,

I have never had it. Do you have a recipe to share? :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  7:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
PEANUT BUTTER - IRISH POTATO CANDY

2 (1 lb.) boxes powdered sugar
1/2 c. hot mashed potatoes, drained
1 sm. jar crunchy peanut butter

Mix sifted sugar into potatoes a little at a time by hand. (Don't panic when potatoes liquify as the first sugar is added. This is what it's supposed to do. Just keep adding sugar until it is pastry consistency.) Sprinkle wax paper with additional powdered sugar. Take baseball-sized ball of mixture and roll out like pastry. Spread with peanut butter and roll like a jelly roll. Wrap rolls in plastic wrap; chill and slice.
Makes 2 rolls.

I have never tried this candy before! Now I am curious!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  9:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Sounds intresting!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

GrammyGoose
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Sue
Liverpool PA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  11:51:03 PM  Show Profile
My daughter just made this today (Thursday) with her boys. She didn't have a recipe, so it got really ugly. She managed to salvage it in the end by stirring the peanut butter into the potato mixture, rolling that into balls and then dredging them in various sprinkles and decorations she normally uses for cupcakes. My grandson said it was the best fudge he ever ate! LOL!

If you haven't tried it, it really is good. It was one of my favorites when I was a kid.

Sue
Farmgirl #656

"This is the day that God made, let us drink juice and enjoy it!" - Reece Stutts, age 3
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  06:12:30 AM  Show Profile
I have a friend who makes potato candy for all of our Linger-Longers at church. If you aren't one of the first in line at the dessert table, you don't get any. I can only eat one piece because it's so sweet, but it is very tasty!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  06:39:09 AM  Show Profile
Angela I've never even heard of it. But I would love your recipe. We are having pancakes this morning with your homemade blueberry syrup. I juiced berry's yesterday to make some more today with your recipe. You have spoiled my guys, they will never want just plain ol blueberry pancakes again. LOL My mom used to make potato pancakes all the time. Sounded different but really good so I'm game for potato candy.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  07:16:16 AM  Show Profile
Potato candy has been a long standing Christmas tradition in my family. Around September, my dd starts asking me to make some for her, but I make her wait just like my mama would make me wait!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  07:25:18 AM  Show Profile
I don't really use a recipe, I just mash a 1/4 of a potato, add powdered sugar until it forms a dough. Sprinkle powdered sugar on countertop and roll outunti dough is 1/4'' thick, spresd with peanut butter (I prefer creamy, my mom likes crunchy..your choice) roll like a jelly roll, chill. Slice to the thickness desired. Don't slice too thick, it is VERY sweet:)

Yes Cherry, I always had to wait for this lady to bring it to my mom, my mom would never make it, actually she didn't cook hardly at all. I only was able to have it a christmas time also:)

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Instead of telling God how big your problem is....tell your problem how big God is.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  08:11:24 AM  Show Profile
potato candy is very popular here as P.E.I is known for 2 things, Anne of Green Gables and Potatoes. Another popular potato sweet treat is called a "spud nut" it is a yeast donut made with mashed potatoes!!YUM!YUM!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Potato Candy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page