Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 PNW Washington Harvest begins!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic PNW Washington Harvest begins! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  09:52:24 AM  Show Profile
My husband is a wheat farmer in the extreme part of eastern Washington. We farm 2700 acres of wheat, barely, lentils, and peas. He does this all with the assistance of one hired hand and part-time help from his father and myself.

My husband has often commented about how much he misses the days of old when the women cooked and brought meals to the field and everyone took a couple of hours off to sup together. Since I have five kids and a job of my own, he has never expected that of me. So, this year, I surprised him by taking time off from my normal job to be the real-deal old-fashioned farm wife for harvest. I will drive truck part-time, go on parts runs, flag the combines, cook all of the meals, make the crew lunches, and on Sundays (only) I will even take hot meals of fried chicken or pulled pork sandwiches, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, pie and iced tea or cold lemonade to the field where my five children and I will set up "dinner" for the whole crew. Since I won't be able to work outside of the farm I thought I would blog about my farm wife experiences for anyone interested in the trails and tribulations of life on a northwest wheat farm.

We started last night by flagging three combines out to our pea field and first off I missed the most fantastic pictures. My husband cut into the field as the lead combine with the other two following suit, and then they all stopped to step out on the deck of the combine. On deck number 1 was my husband and 11 year old son, on deck 2 was my hired man and my 4-yr old son, and directly behind them on deck 3 was my father-in-law and my daughter all standing colorfully in a row. They were all staring at the job ahead of them with excitement and unity, clapping and overjoyed that we were finally in the field. I WILL remember my camera today and post some photos of our harvest for anyone who is interested.

Amy

For information on SUMMER SNOW please visit www.amywarwick.com

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it ~Aristotle

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  10:01:47 AM  Show Profile
Oh Amy, what a wonderful experience for you and your folks! I DO hope that you get photos! harvest is underway here in moscow and the wheat field across from my dirt drive has all been "shorn" of its beautiful golden locks =) Harvest is everywhere as everyone is taking in the bounty of summer. Enjoy your old fashioned experience! What fun!

I wish you and all a beautiful harvest!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  10:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Amy~ having grown up in the wheat farming world too I get it... There is nothing like the itch from the barley, mixed with a little heat rash and sweat.... Ugh! Hopefully you guys are getting some of the cooler weather... we have had the 105 degrees and my poor hubby is in harvest as well.. comes home and is just dead...today is suppose to be a bit cooler here, so I am thrilled about that...Driving wheat truck is one of my favorite chores...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

www.ruralandraw.blogspot.com

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  3:43:54 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, Amy, the clouds out here just before and during sunset were heartbreakingly beautiful. I wished I had my camera to snap a shot of a combine and truck parked on a hilltop for the night, with the clouds just so and the light. Awesome light yesterday evening. The sky was dark and the wheat was glowing. Really glowing. Fields of sunshine beaming up at the clouds, defying them, and the farmers scrabling to start before rain. Yesterday was magic.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  4:50:09 PM  Show Profile
It all sound so wonderful!!! I can't wait to see pictures.

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  5:48:35 PM  Show Profile
We would milk the cows then the girls came into make breakfast while the men finished with the cows. Then we all ate together,I loved it I also remember making lunches and riding the horses out to the field to feed the men, Then Milk again, girls started supper while men finished cows. Over and over and over again, Dinner always turned out right no matter what the men dared not complain.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  9:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amy- I am looking forward to reading about it! I wish my husband was more farmy! I would love to experience that family unity- getting the harvet in- getting back to roots feeling, but alas any farming/ranching we end up doing will be done by my own two hands!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  9:15:13 PM  Show Profile
My heart told me I had to reply to this one!! As a teenager, living on the west side of Wa., my brother and I would spend 2-3 weeks in eastern Wa. with my aunt and uncle.My brother would be right in the middle of harvest, my aunt and I did the lunch for the whole crew, and then would do dinner for the family. As soon as breakfast was over with we started on lunch, and so on and so on it went. My hubby and I now live on the east side, and in visiting with long time friends who live here also, the husband was telling us about his harvest experience for the last 2 weeks (he took vacation from his long haul job), and told of the wonderful lunches the boss' wife brought out to the fields everyday......I think there are very few wives that do this anymore in this busy day.....but hopefully all of you will enjoy the tales of "harvest in the palouse"!!!!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  9:20:04 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Lots of hard work ahead but it all sounds so romantic too. I hope everyone captures lots of pictures that you can share with all the farmgirls who don't have farms or are just not in the fields. We appreciate it. I think it is just wonderful that you have taken the time from your job to be with your family during this experience and to work yourself to death to help!!!!!

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  06:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Amy!
Hearing your description makes me miss something I've never experienced! Please do post or start a blog. I would love following your harvest.
My brother used to do pea and wheat harvest in Walla Walla and he still talks about how much he loved his summers in Eastern Washington. We're from Western Washington.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"

www.mylusciousjourney.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  07:27:27 AM  Show Profile
It was hot and muggy yesterday and it seemed that we were racing against a rain that never actually came. That kind of bipolar feeling sometimes rules the month of August for us. Excitement mingled with fear as what first goes in the header comes out into the back of the combine as something we hope will be profitable, the push to move quickly only to be stalled in your tracks with a major breakdown or a tire falling off, normal day cooking lunch for tomorrow cracked open by the words, "I gotta fire," being calmly spoken by my husband or one of the crew through the radio to myself at home base who must now decide without being on the scene whether I should call 911. Alas, none of that has happened yet, but we know something will happen and with it all of us will have to take on that calm demeanor that we, as farmers, who have sworn our oath to the crops we must bring in for the rest of the world to enjoy at their tables, will take it in stride and make it all come to pass.

Today, it still looks like rain. A 50% chance as always. I was up at six o'clock making strong coffee and lunches for the crew. I made homemade huckleberry/raspberry mini pies (that we harvested last week) and two dozen coconut chocolate chip cookies yesterday, so the guys will have a nice treat today. They will dine on tuna fish sandwiches with brine pickles, carrots, iced tea, cheese and crackers all looking forward to Sunday when the kids and I will bring them a hot meal in the field. Our main truck driver starts at 10:00 so that means WE HAVE ARRIVED! The kids had their last sleep over of the summer last night, much to their chagrin, but my mother-in-law has called to take them until Sunday, so that will be a relief to them. Because I will have all of that alone time I offered to learn to drive swather to cut the lentils. I have never driven anything other than the harvest truck, but I am a little excited to be out there alone. I have never been without the children for so long. We shall see how I do...

I brought my camera yesterday, but UGGH, the memory card was full. No worries, I emptied the card this morning and will get pictures as soon as I drop my son and his friend off to drive combine with Dad and I will add them as soon as I am back on line.

Best,

Amy

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it ~Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  09:13:42 AM  Show Profile
Amy My husbands a professional photographer and would love to come out there and capture your harvest on film, well memory card. The whole experience would be so cool to see in person. I could give you a hand in the kitchen too.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  09:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Perhaps this is fodder for your next book Amy! I'd read it!
I look foward to your posts and pictures. Do you have a blog started?
Best,
Linder

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"

www.mylusciousjourney.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  09:46:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amy,,,,
I read your post to my DH and said, see if we had 2700ac. I would bring you out a nice hot meal,,,,but w/only 5ac. all your gonna get is a holler & a PB&J sandwich buckerroo! lollololol!
Hubby & I took a "Sunday Drive" last week out and about up through Reardon, Davenport, Odessa & then back down and around to come back out by Deep Creek....it was awesome to see the hundreds of thousands of acres of farmland.
Oh and as for the rain...yea, we got it,,,all of 5min woth over here.lol!
hugz

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  11:41:31 AM  Show Profile
Kathy,

My mom lives in Moses Lake! What fun. You are not far from us. 2.5 hours.

And Grace, thanks for the update on the rain. We can handle five minutes of it.

I had five minutes to come back in before I am off to deliver the kiddies to various houses before I learn to swath. I have never been a good employee, so it should be fun to see how my husband handles me as "my boss." I took a lot of pictures, but dropped the camera in the field somewhere while exchanging kids. At least is was a harvested pea field. Should be easy to find. Well, back at it. I will post on the swathing and get you some pics as soon as I locate the camera.

As for the blog question, I am writing on facebook and on here, but that is about it. My website is for my other "job," so I will not be posting this on there. The farming diary is just for Mj's farmgirls who will appreciate it the most!

Amy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  12:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh, Amy!! I hope you find the camera!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  09:37:59 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday was great. Grandma took the kiddies for the weekend and she brought me lots of zucchini and potatoes, so chocolate zucchini bread here I come! I am going to try and make a bunch of loaves with wheat flour so that I can freeze them for as a treat for the rest of harvest.

Ahh, harvest yesterday. What a treat. With the kiddies gone and the house whipped into shape I was able to ride in the combine with my husband (he didn't need me to swath after all). It was so surreal sitting atop the pea field with the whole crew together - three combines, a truck driver, myself ,and my nephew Ty - looking out at Steptoe Butte and watching our friends and neighbors working in the adjoining fields. Think of how most people work in cubicals: they start in the morning, meeting up with friends and co-workers, all in an attempt to get the job done before the five o'clock "bell" rings. Four years ago, I worked like that, and I always thought of my "crew" as a big family who lived together for eight hours a day. In farming there seems to be some similarity to that kind of work. We watched and talked about our neighbor Kenny K. as he and his sister Karen harvested wheat to the south. We listened on the radio to some other friends from Tekoa monitoring the incoming storm, knowing full well that they would get the first drops of rain and would inform us all to get the peas to the elevator. We also listened to our neighbor and friend to the north laughing and cajoling about the Cougars upcoming season and we had such a pleasure listening to my grandfather = so proper and respectful on the radio. Oky-doke! That is what he says when Don calls for the truck! He is such a light in this world. We could all learn a thing or two from him.

Then, it happened. Snake grass of all things plugged up Wave's combine. And I mean plugged. We were laughing so hard by the time he had me shoving my little arm up into the gut of the monster (kids do not try this at home) that we ended up with the whole crew there laughing. Thankfully, that was the end of the day. And then it rained. It rained so hard that we got over an inch of rain before morning and it is still going strong right now. That will sprout the wheat for sure, but I cannot help but say how beautiful it is sitting her in my kitchen, drinking coffee (in peace and quiet) with the window open, smelling the wonderful scent of wet earth and grass. Without the kids, Wave as offered to go Costco shopping with me to get my kitchen prepped for the remainder of harvest. With that I should have no need to head to the city for the rest of the month. Thank goodness for that.

As for the camera, I found it safe and sound. Now the problem is that I do not know how to add pictures on here. Any suggestions on MJ's site? I know my dear friend Julia (Aria's mom) knows how. If you are out there Julia, help.... For now I will add them to my facebook sight and await the suggestions from the farmgirls who, let's face it, can solve any problem, right?

Best to you all!

Amy

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  10:10:43 AM  Show Profile
Amy!! I'm going to FB you this info too!!

I have posting pictures here really rather easy once you learn the process.
* Download photos from your camera to your computer.
* you'll need to use a some kind of photo uploading program in order to get them to mj's site. I've not been able to figure out how to do it directly from my computer's photolab. In other words, my photos are downloaded from my camera to my computer photolab called Iphoto. This is where I can do cropping, shading, editing etc. Then I go into a general photo sharing program. I use PHOTOBUCKET. (www.photobucket.com) I created an account there, which is super easy and straightforward to do. Then, using their program I upload the photos I want to post on MJ's site. After they are successfully uploaded, you can go to the photo itself and underneath the photo will appear different codes and links. You want the "IMG code" You can highlight that and copy it. Then come over to MJ's site and paste it into your post. That's it.

It sounds like a big process perhaps but once you get the photobucket established it really is rather simple.

If anyone else out there has an easier way let me know.

Hope this helps. ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  09:02:54 AM  Show Profile
Julia,

Many thanks. I will try that.

Amy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  09:10:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Glad you found the camera!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  07:57:59 AM  Show Profile
Okay, trying the photos. Thanks Julia. We shall see how this turns out...

Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  08:04:57 AM  Show Profile
Wow, that was easy! I thought the caption would move too, but it didn't so I will tell you this is my son showing off his Daddy and his combine to his friend. Can you tell which kid has been around too much loud equipment? Maybe some earplugs are in order!

Baking lots of Zucchini bread for lunches today. We are hoping to be back in the field by tomorrow afternoon. I hope so for Wave's sake! My motto: when a farmer should be in the field, a farmer should be in the field! Simple, but farm wives know that it is in that simplicity that peace and sanity are brought to your home. We got over an inch and a half of rain overnight on Thursday. Generally, that is a rarity around here, but not the first time this year, so our soil is pretty weak. Our road has flooded out numerous times in the same area and I have never seen that happen since I moved here. Can't complain about the water this year, so the farmers will have to find something else to worry about. Kids all come home today as well. Peace and quiet will be gone....

The picture if pretty big, but if you want me to post more, I will.

Best,
Amy

Edited by - Amy Warwick on Aug 09 2009 08:05:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  09:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Thanks, for the pic! It is just super to see the harvest in progress! At the top of the page when you download the pics into Photobucket you can change the size if you like. It took me forever to figure that out. I don't mind them big so do as you like. I should make some zuccini bread, that sounds so yummy right now!

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  12:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! That is awesome!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  3:02:26 PM  Show Profile
Today is slow, but we are back in the field. I am exhausted. I have canned the apricots that Wave helped me harvest while his combine sat idle, picked raspberries, tended to the garden, harvested my own peas, and spent some much needed time with the children. Today, I had to make a parts run for our very old swather. It just won't start. I suggested that maybe it just died after so many years and that we should stop shocking its heart back into service, but the farmers don't agree with me, so here they go again. They will shock it back awake this afternoon and force it round and round the field like an old work horse. Poor old thing! We are expecting more rain tomorrow and the following days. From my canning diary I can tell you that for the past three or four years, harvest has ended on Aug. 24 and 25th. I can tell you that it will not happen this year. Our daughter's birthday is the 27th. We might have to plan a dinner/party in the field for her, because we certainly won't be going to Silverwood!

Here is the photo of the old swather and my very frustrated father-in-law. Some of you know him. He's the guy who makes and sells Spoonfoolery through MJ's Store. I think he would rather be fiddling with the silverware rather than the Hesston.

Best Regards,

Amy

Edited by - Amy Warwick on Aug 11 2009 3:03:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  8:15:27 PM  Show Profile
Dear Diary,

I'm exhausted....We are back at it today and for me that started with a 7:00am run to the parts store and Wave saying, "Do I have any more shirts, Amy?" Umm, no I guess I didn't get to those last night. Off I went to the store for bearings, bushings, nuts, levers, bolts, greek stuff I have no idea about. I got back here at 9:30 if that tells you anything. I have no idea what in the world I am talking about, and let me tell you ladies, the gentlemen at the parts store just love that. I finally talked with one man who was helpful - not sexist or sympathetic - just "what do you need and how fast can I get it for you." He is my hero today. I raced home to put the lunches together amid other requests from my son, a phone call from a reporter, and the squawk of the radio call "30, do you copy?" NO, I DON'T. Okay, the husband calling isn't that bad, but I did end up getting the wrong part and then leaving the broken part at the store. Oops on that one! I did run into an old friend at the parts counter, so that was nice, and Jack conned me into a toy header cart that he just had to have - and after as long as we waited, I caved in.

After that, I spent a lot of the day doing a major overhaul on the house before moving combines and racing back home to continue to clean my house when all of a sudden - I was called out on another parts run. UGGH! And, let me tell you, it is not just over the hill, past the cemetery, and around the corner by the red barn on the left - it is at least 40 minutes to anywhere from here. So I ran, Jack in tow begging for a new header to put on the header cart (which I told him he did not own at the last store when he insisted on the cart) and raced the parts counter before it closed. After a half hour telling Jack no and talking with another old friend who was trying to help decipher a parts book that swore this was the part Wave needed, I raced back only to learn that it was not right and got the comment, "I (my husband and the farmer himself) will go to the parts counter tomorrow and get the right one - because I am broke down again anyway." Strike two for Amy today.

The only saving grace ladies: I did have time to cook dinner and wash Wave's shirts for tomorrow. My house now smells like my great-grandmothers home, scented by cajun pork chops and gravy, corn and sour dough bread. I am off now to fold those shirts I washed and maybe, just maybe, sit down for a few minutes of quiet time before someone yells, "30, do you copy?"

Until tomorrow...

Amy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic PNW Washington Harvest begins! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page