Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Well I Started Reading War And Peace.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Well I Started Reading War And Peace. Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  11:41:58 AM  Show Profile
Hey already I'm on page 41. the total number of pages is 1361. You know I'm liking this book so far. I got it at the thrift a while back, its a 1942 edition, which upon looking it up has some value. I paid 99 cents for it. Anyway this is my living room book for daytime reading . I have other books for nightime reading. I wouldn't be able to hold this book up in bed, and if I fell alseep reading it who knows what kind of damage it could do. So it will probably be by my chair in the living room for some time to come.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  1:08:02 PM  Show Profile
So what made you decide to tackle such a monster? What do you think of it so far?

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  2:49:34 PM  Show Profile
Good for you!

I loved it. I will admit, it took years. Such vivid descriptions, just loved the style of it. I can see why it is a classic. Those "thinker" books I like to take my time with and really get all I can from them. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :) Pretty neat to get such a bargain! What is special about your edition?

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  3:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
What is it about?
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  3:46:05 PM  Show Profile
I'm surprised that I'm liking it so far. Its been sitting here on my book shelf and everytime I looked at it I thought I really should give it a try. I will have to look up again as to why I think its worth a little something. Not going to buy a new house or car or anything, but it seems to me it was worth like $65.00 or something. More then .99 cents anyway. Wow Michelle,nice to know you read it too. I don't think I know anyone that has read it.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  4:00:15 PM  Show Profile
Nancy. I read War and Peace for an English assignment over Christmas break many years ago.... All those characters!!! But it's well worth it. I loved it!

I feel a little embarassed....I am reading Wind in the Willows with illustrations by Tasha Tudor HA!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  4:15:04 PM  Show Profile
You must be bored. I have to get into a reading mode, I'm just not there yet, especially for War & Peace. Do they have a dvd?

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  8:36:08 PM  Show Profile
I feel for ya. I'm reading Atlas Shrugged. Wow, it's long, but good.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  08:29:26 AM  Show Profile
Diane, that is so funny! There is a movie of it, I think several, but one done by PBS. But like so many really great books, there is so much that is wonderful in the actual writing that is missed by going to film. What is it about...hmm, complex to answer. War, and peace...:) seriously though, :) how people navigate the paths of life through all that is thrown at them/ they bring upon themselves through their choices, in the midst of Russia in...gosh, the early 1800's? There is no simple way to describe what it is like, it is to be experienced though.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Well I Started Reading War And Peace. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page