txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  08:32:25 AM  Show Profile
I am looking for a recommendation for ONE great book about cleaning - using home and natural methods instead of purchased items, etc. This can be an old book, new book, whatever. Just trying to get back to basics and save some funds so want to stop buying all of my cleaning products.

I have been perusing all the forums, and appreciate all the advice, but I am thinking I would like one book as a resource to use when I don't have the time for the internet, etc... or to take with me to look at when I want.

I am enjoying all of the natural and "green" house cleaning methods and am grateful to you all.

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- Hodgson Mill Organic unbleached flour
- well water w/ reverse osmosis filter
- feeding twice a day to eliminate excess hooch
- first sourdough loaf 7/25/09 - GREAT!
- using KA bread flour for loafs

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  8:09:09 PM  Show Profile
Cindy:
Give the farmgirl Alee a few minutes to come in and see this post. She'll give you all sort of advice you are looking for.
I can say that I use vinegar and water to mop the floors, and to clean windows. But Alee has a library of ways one can clean.
Welcome to the MJF forum. Hope you are enjoying your time with all of us.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Bevb
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Bev
Moscow ID
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  05:57:56 AM  Show Profile
Check out "the Naturally Clean Home" by Karyn Siegel-Maier. I first found it at our local library, and then bought my own copy on-line. It's great!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  06:21:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Marly! You are so sweet!

Green Clean: The Environmentally Sound Guide to Cleaning Your Home by Linda Mason Hunter and Mikki Halpin contains a wealth of information, tips, and steps to green cleaning your home. The book includes a brief history of cleaning, introduction to toxic elements in some cleaning supplies, tool lists for green cleaning, and a room by room, stain by stain guide to cleaning your home. This book is also on thick stain and water resistant pages, perfect for keeping around while you're cleaning.

Or

The Naturally Clean Home: 101 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Non-Toxic Cleansers by Karyn Siegel-Maier is a cookbook for cleaning products that are non-toxic, inexpensive, and healthy for your home. Learn how to use herbs and essential oils in combination with baking soda, vinegar, borax, and lemon juice to create effective cleaning products that are safe for you and your family.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2009 :  5:52:24 PM  Show Profile
thanks to allee and bevb for the recommendations. they have been added to my paperbackswap wish list.

much appreciated!

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- Hodgson Mill Organic unbleached flour
- well water w/ reverse osmosis filter
- feeding twice a day to eliminate excess hooch
- first sourdough loaf 7/25/09 - GREAT!
- using KA bread flour for loafs
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic cleaning book recommendations?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly