City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  04:36:41 AM  Show Profile
There is this house on my daughters newspaper route that has a bee's nest inside the tree. Someone has sprayed that foam stuff used to seal windows in the winter into the hollowed out part of the tree. BUT! The bees are still gaining access to the tree. Honey bee's.

I don't know the people - don't know if they even care. Would it be possible to contact a bee keeper and have them come out and remove the bee's? I would just hate to see them go to other drastic measures to keep the bee's out or worse fumigate them.

How would you handle this?

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  05:45:12 AM  Show Profile
I know nothing about bee's except they sting. My boys were out playing when they were young and came in yelling that hundreds of bee's were in the oak tree. I went out and there was a HUGE ball of them up there. I called our County Extension office and he gave me numbers of local bee people. The first one I called was in need of them and came right out and removed them. I was afraid (I'm alergic to bee stings) so the boys and I went to town till it was over. So I don't know how he did it but he did take them all away.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  11:37:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Deb -

My boyfriend is a beekeeper and has done this for several people in our area. If you can contact a local beekeeper they will probably be more than happy to come and collect the swarm.

beekeepersgirl
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  1:57:29 PM  Show Profile
Deb -- There's an urban bee group at http://www.chicagohoneycoop.com/

Maybe they can assist.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  04:02:37 AM  Show Profile
Thank you. I wonder - since it's not my property...

I have been seeing lots of honey bee's in my garden this year!

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  04:45:39 AM  Show Profile
Hey Deb, you can call a beekeeper to come and get them, BUT, once the bees have settled into a tree (or any other place they'd like to call home), it becomes a sticky situation (no pun intended!) to get them out, depending on how much they have settled the tree. It is much easier to remove a swarm BEFORE they have settled into a tree or other area...

If the tree contains an extreme hollow or several crevices within, the bees will overrun these and start setting up comb.This makes it hard to easily remove the bees, as there is goo and wax, and possibly several bees crushed in the effort.

Plus, since they are hard wired to set up where their queen sets up, he only efficient way to remove them is to remove the queen, and it's not always easy to find a queen in a group of 10,ooo, or more bees! So what I am saying here is that a beekeeper may not be able to successfully remove the bees without killing many of them or damaging the tree. Hopefully your local bee folk have an answer and a solution to the problem.

My thoughts are to try to leave them where they are, if they are in your garden, then you are lucky to have great pollinators and the world could use more bees. Obviously, though, if people seem to be doing crazy things about them (such as spraying their entrance shut), there might be a humane alternative.

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
Plan to save America the old fashioned way!
http://wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com/2009/05/big-project.html

Edited by - Farmtopia on Aug 05 2009 04:49:14 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Bee question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page