Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Tombstone Stitcheries
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Tombstone Stitcheries Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  08:46:16 AM  Show Profile
here t'is gurlfrenz ....

www.mulberryfolkart.com

i had the 'wrong berry' .. it's MULBERRY Folk Art who put out the tombstone stitchery book ... above is their web-site!

i haven't been able to get into the site yet .. but hopefully you will .. and hopefully it is still in print!

xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  11:42:55 AM  Show Profile
I get Gateway Timeout on that address.

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  4:57:03 PM  Show Profile
I have obsessed over this topic every since Frannie mentioned it on a previous post. Here is what I have found:

http://www.traditionalstitches.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TS&Product_Code=CHSCHTA&Category_Code=NP

The site above has two on the page, they are wonderful. I loved them so much I sent an email attachment to my hubby so he could check out the framing. He said, "Are you trying to tell me something, like you want me to croke or something?" Funny guy!

http://www.cameoroze.com/101/soc_mourn.htm

This is an article on mourning stitcheries...

Enjoy!
I did not have success with the Mulberry site or phone number.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  4:59:59 PM  Show Profile
Here is another one:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/365777873/1365778134030108827skfGuL

Pamela

Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  5:08:07 PM  Show Profile
This is another one from the Traditional Stitches:
It resembles the fist one I put on here.

http://www.traditionalstitches.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TS&Product_Code=CHSPWTA

Aren't these cool? I want to so some personal ones from my actual family members sho have passed and put them on a wall together.

Pamela

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  9:27:50 PM  Show Profile
thanks for all those websites .. i'm gonna' go check them all out. that mulberry folk art one bummed out for me too! i'm determined to find more on this booklet! will report back soon! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  10:42:11 PM  Show Profile
the plot thickens!!! my friend, melanie looked at her tombstone stitchery pattern .. and gave me the address and phone number on it ... at 1:40 a.m. ... i called the number thinking i would get a recording. a young man answered and said that mulberry folk art was no longer in business. he didn't say whether or not he was connected to the company at one time .. (i didn't ask) .. but he did know they were out of business.

sooooooooo .. i'll keep looking for my booklet which i just know is here somewhere!

hmmmmmmmmmm .. why don't we all visit olde cemetaries and draw up a book of our own!!!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  11:02:22 PM  Show Profile
Ima likin that idea a lot!

Off to sleep for now...I'll dream on it!
Pamela

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

fairview tx
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  06:31:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Miss Frannie! Maybe this is the book?? www.homespun-peddler.com Click on Mulberry Folk Art - then book #5. Called Love is Over All - or Love is All Over - they list it both ways. It's stitcheries of angels from 18th Century N.E. tombstones. Looks to be available at $14.95. Hope this works for ya! sandi
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  07:50:41 AM  Show Profile

YEP! YEP! YEP! THAT IS IT!!!!! AND IT IS WONDERFUL!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh .. and be sure to visit Maria Pahls page .. SEED POD ... Maria is a very early 'primtive' style friend of mine ... she lives in Cincinnati .. and i was part of that wonderful GATHERING she held (see below) .. i met the girls from Kindred Spirit .. the boys from Fried Green Tomatoes, Sharon Andrews and Gloria Bowlin (Crow and the Weasel) on that trip and we had much fun together. Sharon and the Fried Green Tomatoes guys visited my home when Dee Faust and Nicol Sayres came to teach a class to our doll club. AHHHHHHH .. MEMORIES!

AND .. be sure to check out Shari Lutz' patterns .. she is a PHENOMENAL dollmaker and i invited her over and over again to teach classes to our club (she is from Pennsylvania) .. she even taught a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeely BEAUTIFUL dolly that she after 'moi' .. Frances Catherine. Several of the dolls you see pictured .. she taught us to make!

AND .. oh my goodness .. check out Sonya Sandell of Hickety Pickety .. another good friend who came to teach at Crooked Tree Hollow (my Maryland home) .. you MUST get her newsletter .. it is a HOOT!

THIS IS A GREAT SITE! THANKS SANDI for finding it for us!!!!!!!!

Homespun Peddler is pleased to present the "seed pod" line of patterns designed by our good friend Maria Pahls.

If her name sounds familiar, it should; Maria is the founder of the "Primitive Pals" club and creator of the popular Seed Pod Newsletter. Everyone in the "primitive folkart" community seems to know Maria.

Inspired by her prose and drawings (which are seen throughout the Homespun Peddler web site), Maria has brought to life a fantastic line of doll and stitchery patterns.

The seed pod pattern line is a treaure trove of unique and innovative techniques. This as well as Maria's close attention to detail in her instructions allows the first-time crafter to feel as comfortable as an experienced doll maker when working the design.

Her latest additions to the growing pattern line are all "glue gun free". Maria feels this will allow your creations to last a lifetime. "You'd be surprised how you can work around things like glue if you put your mind to it. I find it a challenge that keeps me on the creative edge. I'm always trying to test my limits and see what results."

Maria has numerous credits to her hame. She's designed patterns for the well known Sharon Andrews and Company. She hosted the first "primitive gathering" at her home in Ohio bringing together a wonderful group of friends & folk artists from as far as Maryland. Maria spread the word of "primitives" in an article highlighting some of her fellow artists in the popular "The Cloth Doll" magazine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maria is well known for her wonderful primitive style artwork. You'll find her pictures, sketches and other art throughout the Seed Pod newsletters and Seed Pod gallery here on the Homespun Peddler web site.

Click here to view Seed Pod patterns page 1.

#MFA-BK5
BOOK 5 - 26 pages, 12 patterns.

"Love is Over All"

Mulberry has researched historical records and uncovered a wonderful form of folk "angel art" carved into 18th century New England tombstones. These authentic angels have now been adapted to primitive embroidery.

© 1999 Mulberry Folk Art $14.25
Includes S&H

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  06:14:07 AM  Show Profile
OK........I know this is gonna sound real funny...but I have NEVER seen these before!!! They are SO different...and so interesting!!!!! Are these making a comeback now.....??
Thanks for sharing this.....I must learn more about these!!!!!!
Sweet Blessins',
Paula :o)

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  06:47:04 AM  Show Profile
I've never seen them before, either, but I am SO intrigued by the "tombstone" stitchery that I ordered the book this morning - I absolutely can't wait for it to arrive!!! Thanks for the introduction to this beautiful and strange art form...

We have many old cemeteries in the valley in which I live - every small community seems to have its own. I have walked through many of them, and the designs on the headstones really are unique and lovely - especially the REALLY old ones. Soooo interesting...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  07:09:53 AM  Show Profile
hey miz paula .. if this style of stitchery is making a 'comeback' .. i think it's starting right here on 'the farm'. i know i have the book somewhere .. and i'm determined to find it .. and i want to do some of my own drawings and stitcheries adapted from designs on olde kentucky tombstones too! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  08:38:09 AM  Show Profile
I've been lurking around. Never knew you could get stitcheries like these before. Truth be told, I love to hang around cemetaries and have a book on doing headstone rubbings and often thought how wonderful they would look as stitcheries. (I do a lot of geneolgy work and often find interesting headstones, though not as old as what is depicted in the stitcheries).
Oh! and I had to laugh at Frannies second post on Feb 27, above... "The PLOT thickens...." ????? LOL!!!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  4:39:27 PM  Show Profile
I bet they get a run on these pattern books. I plan to get one too. Waitin' to get my pay out check from my booth in a shop in town. Then it is a go.

I emailed them a question a couple of days ago and the guy emailed back and someone had ordered the book. He thought maybe it was me, but nope someone else did it. I hope they have lots of 'em in stock.

I am definently designing my own as well, using the names of my kinfolk.

My upcoming trip to Arkansas and Oklahoma will be inspiration for these fine stitcheries.

Think I'll get me some knee pads for all of the bending down to do the rubbings
on those headstones.

Pamela

Go to Top of Page

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  09:21:38 AM  Show Profile
Well miss franny girl....when you do......PLEASE share... I so want to see more of these!!!! I'm not much into stitchin' myself.but I LOVE other gals work!!!
My daughter...who's into this 'Gothic' phase right now.thinks they are so 'Cool'!!!!!!!LOL
Bet the people that made these long ago never dreamed that we'd be so interested in them now!!!LOL

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  12:48:39 PM  Show Profile
Hey gals I found a fun place to learn what the carvings on headstones means. It is on the Arkansas Cemetery site, Here's the link:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~txcoryel/insc.htm?o_xid=0040654954&o_lid=0040654954&o_xt=40654954

Pamela

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  2:52:13 PM  Show Profile
wowzer .. thanks pamela .. i'm gonna' share those with all my 'true friends' gurlfrenz .. and keep a copy for me for when i go roaming olde graveyards. xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  2:27:08 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering if you gals thought this might be a tombstone stitchery? I has angels in red work and the saying is certainly appropriate for a head stone.
I got this last summer at a yard sale. I am not crazy about the frame, so I will be changing to a black one or I might paint this one black.
There is a tag on the back that has this message typed on a piece of paper.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"ANGELS SING THEE TO THY REST"
This was taken from my Grandmothers pillow sham in the early part of her married life when my own Mother was a child, possibly in the early 1870's.
Grandmother: Julia Power Richards Vincent--1853-1889.
Mother: Sarah Ellen (Nellie) Vincent Farrald 1876-1964
Myself: Nell Farrald Miller 1904-

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The lady I bought it from said it did not fit in with the way anyone in the family decorated, which is so sad. She was about 55 years old, so I think it had been her mothers (Nell, above). It was an estate sale with lots of old goodies. So it now graces my home and I do love it. I love that they took the time to put their names on the tag on the back.

Pamela

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  08:33:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Pamela - what a treasure!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  4:04:08 PM  Show Profile
pamela .. it's lovely .. i've had several like that and similar ones .. they were usually 'pillow shams'. there is a pattern for it somewhere around here! your framed one is very nice. p.s. don't think it was a tombstone picture though. xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  8:06:54 PM  Show Profile
Yeah the back note said it was a pillow sham. I just thought since it looked so similar that maybe??? I also have some patterns somewhere that look like this and they are pillow shams.
Thanks for the input girls
Pamela

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Tombstone Stitcheries Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page