True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

danielle
wernersville pa
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  8:19:50 PM  Show Profile
Hello farm women,

I am sad to say that all of my chickens are dying and I have no idea why. I am suspecting that it has something to do with joining the older chickens (about 10 months old) and my younger chickens (about 4-5 months old). Tried combining them about a month ago and lost a couple, but moved them within a few days b/c of pecking. Then tried re-combining them last week, no pecking, but every day I've lost at least 2-3 and am now down to about 7 that are left. There are only two little ones left and they are alone again. I hate going out to check them b/c I know more will be dead. Tried adding sulfamethizine, thinking at first, it was another illness, and also gave electrolytes, but now think it's something else that I am missing. Had chickens for 3 years, but find them very complex in how quickly they die, and for no apparent reason.

Originally I was putting them together b/c the little guys were coming off the medicated feed and would be starting to lay soon.

Chicken experts, what are we doing wrong? I can't take the sad kids anymore when their favorite chickens die?

Homebirthing, home-schooling mama to 4 awesome kids, living an idyllic country life in Pennsylvania

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  8:29:28 PM  Show Profile
The dying could be so many differant things, most likely the adults are doing it, sometimes they will not even let the "strangers" eat or drink. Tip for the future, always add the "new" ones to the group at night, then they wake up together and are not so apt to try and get rid of them.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  9:10:10 PM  Show Profile
We have to be careful with ours too. The older ones try to pick on the younger ones. We let them all roam together during the day. My husband cut some tree limbs and left them on the ground so the little ones could run under them for protection and it helps. At night we put them in seperate places. They are doing better now, but its been a couple of months that we have be integrating them.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  07:46:57 AM  Show Profile
Danielle, how awful. What do the dead chickens look like? Are they all pecked or torn up? Is there any sign of a big animal attacking them maybe? And do you have them free-ranging where a dog could get to them? Alot of times a dog will be just playing with a chick and kill it. They'll just leave it when it stops moving. You should not be loosing that many every day to your older hens.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

hipmamato4
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

danielle
wernersville pa
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  2:15:46 PM  Show Profile
Hmm. It's a complete puzzle with everyone that I've talked to. the chickens were not free-roaming every day, but they were some days. they weren't pecked even a little bit. the strange thing is that it was both the older and younger chickens that died. They didn't look any different at all, just like normal dead chickens. The quest for a plausible answer continues...thanks ladies!

Homebirthing, home-schooling mama to 4 awesome kids, living an idyllic country life in Pennsylvania
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  2:30:45 PM  Show Profile
I would be checking your feed to see if its contaminated, or was there any spraying being done, anti-freeze leakage, mouse/rat poisen and or poisened mice/rats they could have aten neighbor with a pellet gun...........

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  6:31:28 PM  Show Profile
You might need to take one to get a necropsy(?) done on it. It could be something contageous. I don't know, but if mine were dropping like that every day, I'd be taking one to the vet just to see. Because if it's both the young ones and older ones something is wrong there. Especially if there are no signs of pecking or blood.

Have you actually sat out there and watched them for awhile, too? I am really curios now myself. Tersa has a point, too, about the feed. You could have gotten a bad bag of feed. It happens quite alot.

Keep us posted. I wanna know now. I don't know how much a necropsy costs but it might be worth it just to know.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  6:40:29 PM  Show Profile
I am with you Kris - I would spend the money and find out exactly what is going on. I also agree - set aside the time and spend the day with them - that is what I do with my animals and it is the best time spent because you can see exactly what they are doing and what might be the problem.

Another issue might be a virus and so a vet will be your only clue. Remember some viruses can spread to other animals and so it is really important to get a handle on this since it is not slowing down.

Please keep us informed because that is the only way we all learn and have a chance to help the next person. I will keep your farm in my prayers and hope that you are turning a corner.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hipmamato4
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

danielle
wernersville pa
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  05:30:26 AM  Show Profile
Update:

I moved the young chickens (2 left) out from the older chickens two nights ago and changed NOTHING else. Haven't lost any more since. I also visited my local ag store and asked around at the Farmers Market y-day and everyone seems puzzled, but I have a few leads on people to contact locally who raise chickens as a profession and another lady who is getting rid of some adult layers to possibly replace ours. I will figure this out!! BUT- the response that I have gotten from several people is that "you will never know with chickens". In the meantime I've had Lyme, treated it naturally successfully, but still feel a bit wiped out and unable to really pursue what is happening. Will update though. Thanks women!!

Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  11:01:22 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad you posted this so when we get new chicks next year, i know to be aware of this problem...

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  04:18:37 AM  Show Profile
My thought is, is something getting into the coop at night, and killing any that are on the ground. A skunk will just kill and leave them. Not sure what a mink does after it kills them. Do you have a roost for them to get up on at night?
Just a thought anyways.

Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My chickens are dying! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page