CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  2:46:40 PM  Show Profile
has anyone heard of using borax to watch your dishes , in the sink of course . I have used it for laundry but not for anything else.

Cathy

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  3:48:50 PM  Show Profile
I've not used it for that - I don't know how it would work. I use Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds or Dr. Bronner's regular soap (unscented) OR "Seventh Generation" dish soap - all used with baking soda when things are really dirty or yucky.

Borax would be pretty interesting to try - I was just looking at the "20 Mule Team" box, and it says that you can use 1/2 C. borax and warm water in the kitchen sink to wash china - just give it a thorough rinse. I've never done this, but that's what the box says!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  7:16:40 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmm,

I've heard of recipes for dishwasher detergent that were half borax and half washing (I think) soda. I suppose for hand washing it would work, too. And your china probably would prefer to be hand washed rather than machine washed.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  7:37:52 PM  Show Profile
I had heard about the dishwasher mix too, and plan to make some soon ...hmmmm handwashing with it too? worth a try I guess.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  05:19:57 AM  Show Profile
I dont see why you couldnt use it for that. Im looking at my box now. Just rinse well. Try to go online if you are nervous. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  08:03:54 AM  Show Profile
I was watching the Queen of Clean show on DIY last week and she mentioned using Borax for washing china, too. I have been experiementing with adding a sprinkling of borax to my dishwashing water. I hand wash as I have no machine that can do it for me. I have noticed that the bubbles are lasting longer and the water feels softer. We have very hard water here.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  10:24:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like to use borax in just about everything around the house. It really does a good job and helps "extend" other soaps. I would say- Go for it! :)
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  9:53:19 PM  Show Profile
I added borax to my dish-soapy water tonight after cooking a particularly dish-intensive meal. I think it was helpful - I have white stoneware dishes, and they came out sparkly and clean - it's just so darn hard to tell if they would have been just as sparkling without the borax. I kind of think that it helped - and I'll use it again. What a good idea!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  9:01:43 PM  Show Profile
It does seem like my dishes are a bit cleaner when I add borax. They don't have a hard water film.
Go to Top of Page

HollyDee
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Holly
Coburg Oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  2:00:03 PM  Show Profile
Does any one have a favorite place they like to buy Borax? i like to be able to buy a large quantity so I don't run out any time soon.
HollyDee
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  11:29:36 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to know where to buy Borax in quantity, too. The largest box I have found is at Wally World - it weighs 4 lbs.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  08:58:45 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
I used Borax in the dishwater when we had an iron problem (before our treatment system was installed) and it helped keep things from being stained, and helped the sink be easier to clean too. I haven't used it lately, but it did a good job.

I buy mine at Wal-Mart in the box mentioned above. I think I've seen it at Tractor Supply Company in bigger bulk, but I haven't been to TSC in months. I may need to go and see for myself!

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  9:35:42 PM  Show Profile
i tried Borax as a detergent booster for my dishwasher after reading this post. i have to say that the Borax works every bit as well as the expensive Glass Magic i had been using. When i run out of detergent i'm going to try the homemade dishwasher soap.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  8:31:17 PM  Show Profile
I've been using Borax to wash my dishes for a while now and it works great. I had a pan that was hard to clean one night, I filled it with hot hot water and some borax after a few hours it was much easier to clean. We now keep an old powdered sugar shaker on the sink filled with borax. I have even used it to clean the stove it works great and of course I still use it for the laundry lol

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  5:59:29 PM  Show Profile
I have been using borax in my washing machine forever, but I would like to try the homemade dishwasher soap....who has the recipe?
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  10:57:44 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
I've never used Borax, either in or out of the dishwasher, but I know it would work well.

My favorite use is for fleas in the house. We take a quart mason jar, fill it with borax, poke holes in the lid and liberally sprinkle all over the carpet. Let stand for four hours with no one in the house then vaccum. Fleas are gone for up to three months. Fleas, the joys of living in the south.

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!

Edited by - santa_gertrudis_gal on Jun 26 2006 10:58:35 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Borax Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page