Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  4:55:39 PM  Show Profile
We have a kitten, about six months old, that had been lurking around the house. We tried to ignore her since we had recently taken in two strays on top of the two cats already residing in the house. But after about a month we couldnt keep doing it. she was skin and bones, her hips were sticking out. it broke my heart. so we started feeding her. and now shes ours. temporirly anyways. i've been looking for a home her and have one lined up. its on a trail basis though. she can't move in for another week though. in the mean time shes put on weight and is horribly sweet, but the other night something attacked her. the next day she showed up limping. her paw has swollen pretty bad and it goes up and down. some days she can put weight on it others not. we can't find any reason for this and we can't exactly afford to take her to the vet. i feel bad for her and for her possible new owners not knwoing what is wrong. i was wondering if any one had any ideas what could have caused this or what we might try to help her out. when we touch it she doesnt pull it away but it feels tender and soft.

please help

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  6:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
she could have just stoved it pretty well. Cats are strong animals. We have at least 40 barn cats (thats the highest i've counted but i'm pretty sure we have more) one got its one paw pretty messed up and it has healed beautifully and its just fine now. It took about 4 weeks for it to stop limping around on it but its all fine now. We just put bag balm on it and it seemed to work. I dont know if your kitten has any broken skin, but that stuff works wonders on almost anything.

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  6:30:18 PM  Show Profile
My cat got in a fight once and a tiny puncture wound got infected. Her leg was swollen up, very much like you describe. She needed a course of antibiotics. If you can't afford to take her to the vet, there might be a "no-kill" shelter in your area that would take her in. I found a stray cat this past winter who needed medical care, and I found a place that guaranteed to find her a home rather than euthanize her.
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  6:46:05 PM  Show Profile
My cat did that and I couldn't see any puncture wounds. After about a week or ten days it all went away. I think she sprained it really bad.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  7:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Check for alot of heat in the swollen area, that is a sign of infection, she could have a tiny pucture that has healed over or is hard to find due to the swelling. If you find one, scratch it open, soak in warm water with epson salt to help draw the infection out and treat with neosporin or a generic form.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  8:40:24 PM  Show Profile
I hope and pray the little cat heals up fine. I'm happy to hear that you took her in. People who love and care for animals, to me, are sent from Heaven.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  9:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I will say a prayer that the kitten gets better!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  6:47:07 PM  Show Profile
I might add that you can give the kitten a very low dosage of baby asprin which will help with the swelling and also relieve some of the pain. I have had a couple of kittens who also had a minor tear to a claw which is under the skin and will not show. I use a spray for wounds even on myself which is called "Wound Care" It will do wonders and is not very expensive. You can find it at any feed store.

I am with Monica - I will be sending prayers your way and please let us know how your sweet one is doing - bless you for caring for one who has no one.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  9:45:44 PM  Show Profile
thanks so much for all the prayers and advice.

after her paw swelled to three times it size it finally popped. there apears to be a puncture wound on the top and bottom of her paw. we are keeping her sperate from any other animal right now and are keeping it cleaned. you all have been a life saver!!!!! thanks so much!

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  4:31:41 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like an abcess...it fills with pus and then pops open (or has to be lanced open). Keep it clean and it should heal up good.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2009 :  8:28:16 PM  Show Profile
We had a cat get bitten once in the joint of her elbow. We never saw the puncture wound but her whole leg got swollen up. It looked like a sausage. She just needed some antibiotics and she was fine. However, 13 years later she started to limp on the leg and there is nothing visible wrong with it. The vet says the abcess damaged her joint. Cat bits are really bad because they get contaminated easily.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Hurt Kitten Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page