Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Freegans? Anyone heard of this site or folks?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Freegans? Anyone heard of this site or folks? Next Topic  

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  01:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
My hubby sent me a link to a site he found online called Freegans. The article tells what a Freegan is and how they try to live "off the grid". Some things I find smart, some funny, some a bit over the top and thought I'd share the site with all of you and get your thoughts. So, what do you think?
http://freegan.info/?page_id=2

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Tapestry on Jul 30 2009 01:18:43 AM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  07:31:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have seen shows about people going to grocery store and restraunt garbages and getting food that is basically still good, but has been tossed for one reason or another. I can't quite stomach that, but I do do Freecycle (got a great wrought Iron bed!)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  07:43:25 AM  Show Profile
Freecycle or the free section on Craigslist is about as brave as I get.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  07:58:55 AM  Show Profile
Oprah featured Freegans on her show a while back. It was very interesting to see what businesses and individuals were throwing away. The Freegans were literally shopping in a dumpster at the back of a grocery store. Most of the food was perfectly fine and still in packages. At the same time, it was a little gross to watch people getting food from a dumpster. I think, I would be concerned about contamination.

The concept certainly is intriguing,
Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  08:15:16 AM  Show Profile
I agree that the concept is intriguing but I can't say I like the dumpster diving for food. With all the contamination scares we have with food before it gets to the trash I can't even begin to imagine whats possible after it hits the trash bin.
We have a few places that if you get on thier list they give out stuff that is "day old" if you come get it, it's your free. I'm a bit more at ease with that.
I like the green concepts and the recycling......I guess more power to them if it works for them!

Heather

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  09:40:31 AM  Show Profile
I like the concept - all except eating from a dumpster. I think it's pretty easy to find free food in other places besides the dumpster - especially this time of year.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  10:37:05 AM  Show Profile
Here is LA county, the grocery stores keep their dumpsters padlocked to keep people from taking thrown away food, they will not give it to you either, it is against the health codes here, due to contamination possibilitys.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  11:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I too would be grossed out and worried about contamination. Around here, the stores donate all their two day old (they try to sell the day old at discount) items, soon to expire milk, ding and dent and missing label cans etc to the food bank. I think that is the best.

On the opera show a lot of the people highlighted said that they could afford to shop, it was an environmental decision etc. I guess I think that the food should be rerouted to food banks for the people who can't afford to shop and the energy that people who can shop but dumpster dive would maybe be better used changing city policy and campaigning for store policy to change so that the extra food still wasn't wasted but routed to a better demographic.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  1:41:54 PM  Show Profile
I saw that Oprah show as well. Some of it I found indeed a little gross, The food was all still wrapped, but I don't see myself eating out of a dumpster, how well it may be wrapped, sealed and packaged. EEWW.
BUT free sites, and recycling etc., yes those are things i do applaud. TOO much is wasted and why throw it away when it can be recycled or given away to someone who can still use it. But I personally draw the line at the dumpster.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  7:34:38 PM  Show Profile
I am not above recycling a useful item I find in the trash, but I draw the line at food.

A retired friend of mine makes a nice extra income collecting usables at the dumpsters. He takes metal to the recyclers and yard sales new things stores throw away. He makes really good moeny, but you have to be willing to get cut and dirty!
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  12:41:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
You gals all pretty much covered what I was thinking. The image of the gal "shopping" her veggies outta the dumpster grossed me out but much else they talk about doing is pretty responsible recycling and sharing. Not sure I agree with feeling it's okay to take over someone's property without their permission because they feel they have the right to do that, ie: squatter's rights. There might be a good reason some of those properties are vacant. Lead contamination or radon are a couple I can think of. I agree freecycle is a super site and hubby has picked us up some great stuff on there. Craig's list too is great. I've got a big round oak table listed for sale on our local Craig's site now. It is amazing to me how ingenious folks can be when truly pressed to make a change in their life, whether by choice or circumstance.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  11:14:11 AM  Show Profile
"shopping" out of a dumpster for food is .. I don't have the right words for it. But I don't understand why grocery stores, restaurants and the like don't donate that stuff to food pantries/kitchens. There are so many people out of work and hungry that would appreciate it. It just seems wrong to through it away and then put a padlock on the dumpster for fear someone that needs it might get it. It clogs up the landfills and just goes to waste when it could feed families. Although I am not above dumpster diving for furniture and the like. I too use freecycle and craigs list.

"Not all who wander are lost"
JRR Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

cajungrammie
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

tina
dry prong la.
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  1:33:11 PM  Show Profile  Send cajungrammie a Yahoo! Message
I agree,however i was told when i worked for a deli that if they give it away and someone gets sick they can be sued,so they throw it away instead.it is sad but true,people will jump at anything to press a lawsuit.it is awful that we as a nation are so wasteful,when we have so many people who would be greatful for any help they could get.as far as the freegans,i do not think i could eat out of a dumpster for fear of getting sick,but some people seem to be okay with it.whatever works for you i guess.i prefer to reuse,recycle and repurpose.

Sometimes I think I know Everything!!Then I wake Up!!
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  06:44:33 AM  Show Profile
Yep Ive heard of them I saw a program on tv cant remember what channel but it was a good program on the Freegan lifestyle, dont know that I could agree to all but it does make you rink twice at all we throw away

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Freegans? Anyone heard of this site or folks? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page