kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  6:11:21 PM  Show Profile
There was a thread here not too long ago that talked about all the bad stuff in most of our beauty products. I think we talked about how bad this stuff is for us.

The other day at the farmer's market I bought some moisturizer from a girl that makes all her lotions and I just now looked again at the ingredients and it's in there. I love this, too. It's so smooth and creamy and non irritating. It does have olive oil in it. She said it's taken her 2 years to get it right.

So now I'm thinking I shouldn't use it. I hope someone knows more about it now and can help me out here.

Thanks, Kris

Happiness is simple.

Jennifer Mulkey
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jennifer
Arkansas City KS
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  8:31:10 PM  Show Profile
Methylparabens have been linked to breast cancer. Can't find the link at the moment but will try to find it for you. I've had breast cancer. I no longer use any product with any parabens in it. Methyl parabens are the only parabens either.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  9:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My understanding is that anything with "paraben" in it is dangerous!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  01:26:53 AM  Show Profile
There has been a lot of press about parabens. I personally use preservatives that don't contain them. The amount of preservative containing parabens that you use in a formula is very small - 0.5% to 1%. The nasties that would grow in a product would be much worse for you than the preservative or the parabens. If bacteria grows and you have an open place on your skin you could get a serious infection and people have even died. The thing that I would be concerned about is whether this person had the product tested by a lab to make sure that the preservative is working properly before selling to the public.

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Jul 30 2009 01:27:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  06:46:08 AM  Show Profile
I knew there was something about this. So do you think this is ok to use then? It's the very last thing listed in the ingredients. I am going to e-mail het and see if she has had her products tested. I have ordered some of her lotions, too.

Thanks, ya'll.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Mulkey
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jennifer
Arkansas City KS
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  08:20:54 AM  Show Profile
The problem with parabens is that they mimic estrogen when applied to the body. If you already have an overgrowth (so to speak ) of estrogen in your body, from using soy, or from birth control, or from HRT, then they can add to the estrogen load in your body. Some cancers feed on estrogen, especially breast cancers. For myself, I know that we get estrogen from milk products of all kinds and also from any product that would have milk in it, that includes baking products, mixes like mac and cheese, potato mixes ect. Then add in all the estrogen that your body produces from things like paraben being put on the skin daily in everything you use, deodorant, hair products like shampoo, gels, conditioners, colorants, most make up, body lotions, hand lotions, face lotions of all types, cleansers, soaps, the list goes on and on and on.....and eventually you get estrogen overload.

Since my cancer was estrogen positive, I avoid anything with estrogen in it, and do not use any product that can mimic estrogen in my system.

Just an FYI before you decide to use something with parabens, no matter how small the amount, look at everything else you use on your body, shampoo, soap, conditioner, make up, etc and see how many of them have some type of parabens in them, see if your milk products are free of hormones, find out if your meat products are free of hormones, find out how many products you use in cooking daily have hidden milk products in them that probably have hormones, then decide if you want to continue using something with parabens in them.

If you decide at that point that you are ok using them, then by all means, go ahead and use them, millions of women do, I'm sure and are ok. But some of us aren't.

Only you can make that decision for yourself :)

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  01:23:41 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer - this is exactly why I stopped using anything with parabens. I have been working on a lotion and salve for breast cancer patients to help with their skin during chemo and radiation. I wanted it to be paraben free.

Kristin - I'm sure that the product is totally safe. I would express your concern to her about the preservative. Maybe she can change in the future to paraben free.

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Jul 31 2009 01:25:02 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Methylparaben? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page