Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Looking for Stories, Farms, and Such.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Looking for Stories, Farms, and Such. Next Topic  

GallivantingGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Julia
Worthington Indiana
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  1:24:03 PM  Show Profile
I'm an entrepreneur--I currently run my own business called The Gallivanting Girl in which I mostly sell my art (photography mostly), and I'm hoping to someday say I'm a writer. One of my biggest dreams is to write about farm women. Present day as well as historical. Women who run, own, and help tend farms. What I am looking for is biographies--funny stories, descriptions of your (or your friend or family's) farm, trials and tribulations--you name it. My idea for the book is to combine photographs that I take of farms and people combined with their stories and blips of biographies and turn it into a neat, fun-reading, coffee-table/art book (probably bigger than a typical art book, but hey). So please don't hesitate to write me and tell me a story, describe your farm, talk about your great-grandma and her farm-life--anything and everything is greatly appreciated. Eventually I'd love to travel the country meeting with those of you who respond and take on location photographs of you and your place. Any takers? Please don't be shy--this is a HUGE dream of mine. Thanks so much.
Send me a message and I'll give you my contact info.

Edited by - GallivantingGirl on Jul 30 2009 12:50:13 PM

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  1:42:35 PM  Show Profile
Hey Julia! You hit the jackpot on this site. But I would encourage you to remove your mailing address and e-mail address from your post, just to be safe. :) Welcome to the Farmgirl Connection! I look forward to one day reading your book.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  1:54:03 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Julia!!! What an awesome Idea!!! I had a similar idea about 6 years ago, but not of farm life, of mountain man life..(since i was raised doing pre- 1840 reenactments) I thought it would be neat to write about all the good times at these rendezvous, the stories told around the camp fires, the brain tanning of deer hides, the quill work, the muzzleloaders, etc, etc, written as a fiction (modern day happenings of the reenactors of the past)...but got married, had babies...got too busy....lol.....but I think you have an awesome idea!!!! Good luck with it...I could work on something for ya maybe over the winter when I get swttled into the "off season"....lol

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  08:00:52 AM  Show Profile
Julia,

So sweet. I am a farmgirl turned author. I just published my first book. It is a fiction book about small town women. That is a little different than what you are aiming for, but I thought we might have a lot to talk about. Especially when it comes to publishing/editors/etc. Here is the link about what the farmgirls think of my book. http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33583. I hope I can help you anyway that I can to reach your dream. We are going into harvest right now, so I have to take time off of being an "writer" to be a "farmer." I would love to stay in touch and send you stories about my attempts to drive our old farm trucks for my husband. What a hoot that is...

Amy

For information on SUMMER SNOW please visit www.amywarwick.com

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it ~Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

GallivantingGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Julia
Worthington Indiana
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  12:56:58 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much. Amy--how exciting! I'm sure we would have a lot to talk about. I'm just hoping for lots of input from everybody. I've got lots of stories, but the biggest part of this dream is seeing how everybody else has handled farm life. I love reading about women from the early days starting a house from scratch. I'd love to get my hands on some journals from the late nineteenth or early twentieth century. I figured checking with some historical societies and looking into some libraries for old newspapers that might have some good stories to tell. I just don't want to lose my drive--I've wanted to do this since I was a kid.
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  12:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
I sent you an e-mail ;)

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  02:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi Julia and welcome to the forum! You should have a wealth of stories from the farm girls on this site. The very best of luck to you in your writing endeavor!

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  06:54:06 AM  Show Profile
Julia,

Would you be interested in journals only from Indiana, or other states as well?

Amy

For information on SUMMER SNOW please visit www.amywarwick.com

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it ~Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

GallivantingGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Julia
Worthington Indiana
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  11:58:53 AM  Show Profile
Claudia the email was GREAT--it's amazing how strong those little calves can be. And Amy, I'd be interested in journals from anywhere. I'm definitely not limiting myself to Indiana farmwomen--I am eager to hear about anybody and everybody.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  2:32:42 PM  Show Profile
Julia, I love this idea and would definitely be interested in your book. Let me know if I can relate some stories any time. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

GallivantingGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Julia
Worthington Indiana
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  06:08:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh most definitely--I'm extremely pregnant at the moment--so travel is out of the question for me, but soon I'd love to go out west and talk to people whose families have been there for generations. That'd be amazing. Michelle, how about any stories about mishaps, close calls, or accidents? I'll write more to you next week--I've got to focus on cleaning the house for weekend company. I'm so excited by how wonderful of a response I'm getting! Thank you everyone!!

Julia
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  08:04:18 AM  Show Profile
You got it. Great granny was a tough farmgirl who did like the boys, and usually got into a tough scrape or two. Farm medicine was not kind. But she lived well into her 90's, so it must have worked for her. Talk about a survivor, explorer, fearless, big hearted, can-do farmgirl! She inspires me. Right down to her name... Matt. Not short for anything frilly, just named Matt after her father.

I'll look up the particulars on a lot of her stories.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  08:12:29 AM  Show Profile
She loved racing horses locally. Just pictured it. What a rebel! When she had a family, she'd pop the little one on the saddle in front of her and off they'd go (not in a race, but at home), to the delight of my grandmother (who went on to raise fine horses) and her siblings, and the horror of the neighbors. She raised strong can-do characters too. Two sets of children about 20 years apart. I guess that's one way to tackle the empty-nest. Whew!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  08:59:21 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Oh, Michele, you always crack me up! I too would love to hear these stories, maybe we could do a story time at a chapter meeting soon! I miss you! Hope your crown is still on straight! lol
Welcome to MJ's Julia and congrats on the little farmer thats coming. Keep us posted with all your endeviours (sp). My speller isn't working today! :D

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  4:01:54 PM  Show Profile
Karen! We really ought to do that. Maybe make some sort of momento/collage with a family photo and a handwritten story. Something to frame or scrapbook. Great granny thought those folks were just silly for getting so uppity for her taking her kids around with her. From just tiny toddlers. She had work to do! On a ranch, if the cows need tending, and so do the tots, well, you just have to find a way. She was an excellent horsewoman and never put anyone at risk, but I guess it "just wasn't propper". Phooey to that!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Looking for Stories, Farms, and Such. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page