Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 A good reminder for us all.........New stuff!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic A good reminder for us all.........New stuff! Next Topic  

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  10:44:15 AM  Show Profile
I've got the bittersweet task this morning of going through my moms cedar chest. I have been putting this off for 2 years, ever since I cleaned out my mom's house when we took her to the adult family home. I knew there were a lot of memories inside and I didn't think I was ready to go through them. Well, I started in on this morning and I was right - a lot of cards - every card my dad ever gave my mom I think, now I don't know what to do with them - I hate to throw them out, but what will I do with them? Anyway, the big issues is old photos - lots of old photos with no names on the back, so I have no idea who these people are. One in particular says, Mom, Sarah, Dad, and Jacob on the back in the positions of the people pictured, but I don't know WHO'S mom and dad they are. I love these old pictures and I will keep them, but they would be so much more enjoyable if I knew who they were!! A reminder to all of us to label and organize before we leave all of those memories and pictures to our kids!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

Edited by - mikesgirl on Jul 30 2009 9:31:15 PM

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  10:45:16 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful reminder, especially in this age of "digital" media. I have tons of pics of Vi on the computer, and only a handful in my albums...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  11:03:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
That's a good reminder, Sherri. My nearly 89 year old dad is forever asking me who the people are in very old photos my mother had saved.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  2:25:24 PM  Show Profile
Sherri, I have tons of pictures still in the envelpoes. It is so hard to do that. But id we would just label that one roll when we get it, that would help alot.

My father has been gone now for over 30 years and my aunt sent me a cd of him singing way back in the late 50's and early 70's. I could not listen to it for the longest. I thought I would just boo hoo the whole time. It sat here on my desk and I saw it every day but could just not bring myself to listen to it. Finally a few weeks ago while my mom was here we listened together. And it was so beautiful. I listen to it all the time now.

I am glad I have that and I'm sure you are glad to have your memories, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  3:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
I am kind of in the same boat, my grandmother passed and there is this shoebox filled with old black and white pictures from the 30's and 40's. Some of the even from before that. I dont have a clue who some of these people are. But i'm sure they ment something because she had kept them for that long of a time.

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  06:35:34 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sherri, my heart feels for you. My mom passed in 2000 and I still have things of her's I've not gone through yet. I may be doing it just so I have special moments to just sit and remember her fondly when I finally do.
For a fun time mom would drag out her huge box of old photoes and we would get in the center of her bed and go through them and she would name everyone off. By the time I grew up I had them all memorized. She started doing the same thing with my boys and I remember when Sean was 7 he looked up from a picture of me when I was about seven and asked "Mom, when did God paint everything?" It caught me off guard and I really did not know what he was asking. What do you mean I asked. He held the picture up to show me the black and white of it and said "well look, when you were little He had not painted anything yet, so you must remember when He did"! My mom and I almost fell off the bed laughing and I had to give a lesson on the history of camera's and film.
It's like when they grew up and found our box of albums in the shed. They hooked up our old record player and had a hay day listening to everything for Janis Joplin to the Bee Jee's. LOL They could not believe how old we were (in our 40's mind you).
I am just glad I've made it through the point that I don't cry so hard anymore. I can look and have sweet fond memories, it just takes time.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  07:10:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherri- Thank you for that reminder. I am the queen of disorganization. Maybe I need to make a stronger effort!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  10:39:42 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Sherri for such a great reminder we all seem to get so busy we dont take the time to leave important little notes behind. I know its hard to go through your moms things but I also know it hold alot of great memories! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  1:56:19 PM  Show Profile
I wish that I had sat down with my dad while he was still here to ask about photos. My family labels almost nothing...myself included. I need to get better.
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  4:37:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! Does this bring up a lot of memories!!! When my grandmother passed away, I became the recipient of the beloved cards. I was able to find an big,old wooden box on wheels at a garage sale. I painted it chocolate brown inside and out. Then I sorted the cards into categories such as birthday, Christmas, anniversary, etc. I creatively cut out the signatures and put them in another pile. The rest I tore into wonderful shapes and decopauged (sp) them all over inside and out by category. Now when it's Christmas I just face the Christmas side out, spring - the anniversary side turns out, the top is all the thinking of you, thanks, friendship things. This was a great way to keep my grandma's memory alive. Then I scrounged CHEAP wooden pictures frames from all sources, took the signatures and decoupaged them on the frames and gave them to my sibllings with an 8x10 pic of my grandma and grandpa on their wedding day.
Success! Guilt free

[quote]Originally posted by mikesgirl

I've got the bittersweet task this morning of going through my moms cedar chest. I have been putting this off for 2 years, ever since I cleaned out my mom's house when we took her to the adult family home. I love these old pictures and I will keep them, but they would be so much more enjoyable if I knew who they were!! A reminder to all of us to label and organize before we leave all of those memories and pictures to our kids!

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  5:38:06 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea! If I had siblings, I'd do that!

Farmgirl Sister #98
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  8:44:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sherry:
Thanks for the good idea. I have pictures with no names on the back. I still wonder who they are. My parents passed away when I was young. No one knows who the people in the pictures are. I keep thinking that one day I'll meet someone who knew my parents and I can ask them.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  9:30:41 PM  Show Profile
Wow - when getting ready for the garage sale today, I got into a box from my mom's house that I hadn't looked through before. I found some family treasures (documents) from my dad's side of the family. My great grandfather immigrated from Norway and I had no idea about him before - even what his name was. I found his "Declaration of Citizenship" issued in Great Falls Montana - awesome for me as my dh is from Montana and we have a cabin there. I have always felt drawn to the area and it's really special to know that I have a history there. I also found documents of his of an invention of his - some machinery that he ended up manufacturing and selling all over the world. There are handwritten letters to him from companies that had purchased his product, and even a bank draft from the "Bank of Nicoragua" for $600. Very, very interesting stuff - most of it dated in the mid 1800s.

A couple of days ago I found a Deed of Warranty which outlined the entire history of the property which my maternal grandparents bought, and on which I was raised, from the mid 1800s. I don't even know why my mom had that as my grandparents never moved to the area until around 1930. The area is called Fords Prairie and the documents start when Sidney Ford and his wife were granted the property from the US Government and shows all the buyers and mortgages which they held through 1922. It's really interesting because a lot of the names of people who purchased property from the Fords are well known names in the area - they have other prairies and areas named for them. If any of you know the Centralia area at all, you know the story of the Borsts and Borst Park. Well, the Borsts are one of the people who purchased part of this land from the Fords and this big sheaf of documents I found in my mom's cedar chest outlines all these transactions. I feel like I should pass this along to the historical society or someone!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  9:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherri- passing them on to the historical societies of the areas is a Fantastic idea! Ask them to make you archival quality copies if you would like to have them too, but I think that would be fantastic to donate them!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  07:48:44 AM  Show Profile
Good idea! I'm going to contact them as soon as this garage sale is over!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic A good reminder for us all.........New stuff! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page