aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  05:38:42 AM  Show Profile
I need some input Ladies! I had been using Splenda in my coffee and my iced tea. I recently read that it is worse than using the pink or blue packets. I tried using a Stevia product but I thought it had an aweful after taste. So now I am back to pouring an ungodly amount of sugar into everything. I have been putting honey in my tea once in awhile but it is not so good in the coffee. Any suggestions?

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  08:39:07 AM  Show Profile
My personal opinion is to use what God created but in moderation. I have major issues with "fake" sweeteners that I wont get into now. My best advice would be to cut back on the amount you use. The more sugar you use the more you crave. If you are using "ungodly amounts" start cutting back until you just need a little. I dont even put sugar in my coffee or tea andymore!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  08:48:05 AM  Show Profile
I have used Stevia and if necessary that the one I go back to . I personally think all of the substitutes have an after taste and one can get used to almost anything in time. But I would try to cut back on the sugar also unless you are having serious problems with diabetes or something like that. I know the Stevia doen't have side effects because it is natural and the other I refuse to even use at all. My mother
used to drink diet coke and diet shasta and she did so long she craved it. In my personal opinion that's just not a food God put here for us, but it just goes to show we can adapt to just about anything even if its bad for us.
Go to Top of Page

Greyhound Mom
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

57 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  10:49:32 AM  Show Profile
I have used Stevia for about 5 years now and got used to the taste over time. I also have stevia plants and dry my own leaves. Much better!

B ~

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth, and we have a sacred duty to protect her and return thanks for the gifts of life."
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  12:33:43 PM  Show Profile
Barbara I have one stevia plant , but haven't dried the leaves yet. I don't think its really big enough yet. Do you really taste a big difference in the ones you dry? Do you just use a strainer on the leaves?
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  05:52:45 AM  Show Profile
I use Somersweet. It is on the Suzanne Somers website. It tastes just like sugar and has no aftertaste. She is very big into natural products and has developed this. I think it is made from ming beans but not for sure.

Patsy

I think that if a mortal ever heard the voice of God, it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. (F. Moore)
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  05:57:44 AM  Show Profile
I have never heard of Somersweet. Thanks Patsy.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  09:17:55 AM  Show Profile
Have you tried agave syrup? Its lower on the glycemic index and its sweeter than sugar. If you have a Whole Foods near you they usually have some in their coffee dept that you can taste before you buy. I love it and use in place of fakey maple syrup on pancakes.

There is a light and a amber. It also comes in flavors if you want to add that to cofee. I use the light and the amber. The amber has a nice caramelly taste for pancakes.
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  11:15:45 AM  Show Profile
Toby, I have the same problem. I like sugar WAYY too much, but hate using the synthetic sweetners. What's a girl with a sweet tooth to do? LOL!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  11:19:35 AM  Show Profile
I was also going to suggest Agave nectar. A little goes a long way just a drizzle instead of a spoonful and it is lower on the glycemic index. I have a friend who loves it, even when using honey she would still crash hard but she doesn't with this. I also have friends who are diabetic and their nutritionist suggested it.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  12:24:31 PM  Show Profile
I use agave nectar as well. I'm not a fan of honey or the little packets, but the agave nectar really is quite good.

Farmgirl #242
http://vintage-moxie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  2:35:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the input. I'm going shopping this weekend and will be on the lookout for Agave nectar. If I can't find it, I could always try the stevia again and possibly get used to the after taste. Coffee with sugar is my only vice and then I'm full of guilt at how frequent I'm filling up my sugar bowl :(

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  3:06:29 PM  Show Profile
I have nasty reactions to fake sugar (both aspartame and sucralose), so avoid them at all costs! It's getting more difficult too, since more manufacturers are putting sucralose into EVERTHING without changing the packaging. I have to read labels of everything, even products I've used for years...you'd be surprised. I've tried the stevia, and I don't like the taste of it. I use real sugar and real fat (no margerine in this house) and real eggs...but everything in moderation! Good luck.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  6:09:51 PM  Show Profile
I agree that you get used to stevia, and to recommend the use of agave. I like to use it in making granola. There is also sucanant or Rapadura which is an unprocessed sugar, date sugar, barley malt powder, maple syrup sugar. They each have there own flavor. I get mine from a natural food company. I have used the sommersweet, and I thought it had a terrible after taste, I never really got used to it. I do like Suzanne Sommers program, I think she is right on track with the unprocessed and such. I did loose weight on her program.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  3:24:48 PM  Show Profile
i also don't believe in fake anything... but lately, i've been using just sweetened condensed milk. i don't know if it's "bad" for you, but i don't have to use sugar in my coffee if i use it because it's sweet enough. and i use less of it. it depends if you like cream in your coffee with your sugar...

i've also heard of using brown sugar instead of white... i thought i heard somewhere brown isn't as bad for you?

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  3:41:39 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I use honey in my tea,and agave nectar in my coffee. Works great for me!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  5:37:06 PM  Show Profile
Check the ingrediants on your brown sugar, it might just be white sugar and molasses.

Psalm 121:1-2 "I lift my eyes up, unto the mountains, where does my help come from? My help comes from You, Maker of heaven, Creator of the earth."
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  7:30:36 PM  Show Profile
This discussion is very interesting, but what if you are a diabetic and need sugar for rhubarb and cranberries? My husband has been type one for 43 years and I have been type 2 for ten. We have tried them all and try not to use too much of anything, but food doesn't taste the same. Any diabetics out there with their input?

bonnie ellis farmgirl 298 Minnesota

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  12:52:22 PM  Show Profile
I personally use: local honey, agave syrup, stevia and raw cane sugar.
Be careful with those colored packets.
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  1:54:25 PM  Show Profile
I can't use any of the packets except for sweet 'n' low, it's the only one that doesn't give me a migraine headache. It's still very bad for me I know, I only use it in a pinch like when I am out and I need some tea. I am using agave syrup in my iced tea. you can purchase it at your local super Walmart or Walmart neighborhood market. it's about the same price as whole foods. you should also be able to get it at any organic or natural food stores you have close to you.

"Not all who wander are lost"
JRR Tolkien
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sugar Substitute Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page