Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 wanting to become an herbalist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic wanting to become an herbalist Next Topic  

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  1:25:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. i would like to know if anyone knows where I could go in the South east to become an herbalist? I have heard of some places that you can go for a few days of weeks and learn as you do. does anyone know of any of these places.
thanks
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  2:52:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi Deborah, I don't have any personal experience I'm sorry to say. I, too, would like to learn. Hope you can find the right place for you. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  6:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Phyllis, I was chatting with a student of mine today. I am a Cosmetology Instructor. And she said that there is a man in Chattanooga that has several liceneses in the herbal fields. She said he would know where and what some of these schools are. So I am going to be getting his name this week. When I do I will let you know.
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

mrs. graham
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Marqueta
Shelley ID
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  09:10:16 AM  Show Profile
I think you could do pretty well if you checked out some books and videos at the library on herbal identification and usage, and started with whatever's growing around your yard. There's lots of medicine in dandelions!

"Organic farmers are in touch with their roots!"
My blog http://sweetefelicity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  1:17:39 PM  Show Profile
Dandelions are the best Shelley!

Deborah,

I would start with books too. Try some hands on stuff. I especially love Rosemary Gladstar's "Family Herbal" as a place to start. Rosemary also offers a distance course that is very hands on and lots of fun. http://www.sagemountain.com/science-art-of-herbalism.html

This site has lots of free information and herbal recipes: http://herbmentor.com/ Like I said very hands on.

Have fun on your herbal journey!

Tanna
Farmgirl #644
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  3:31:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey Deborah, thanks I appreciate that.I know there is a lady in Gatlinburg or Knoxville area that does classes, but can't remember her name at the moment.

I have a Rosemary Gladstar good Herbal Recipes for vibrant Health that I love. I just would like to take a class and go out to learn how to identify wild plants. I'm afraid that I will pick the wrong things.

Tanna, thanks for the info, going to check that out.

blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

mustanggrl0526
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Becky
Cottonwood Heights UT
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  8:52:50 PM  Show Profile  Send mustanggrl0526 a Yahoo! Message
Hi girls,
I'm currently going to school to become a Master Herbalist, also to get my associates in Complementary Alternative Medicine majoring in Aromatherapy. I'm doing a distance education course through two different schools (even though one of the schools is an hour from me). They're the School of Natural Healing and the American College of Healthcare Sciences. They both have excellent curriculums. They're websites are:
http://online.snh.cc/ and http://www.achs.edu/. I hope that helps.

-Becky

You can't be a smart cookie if you have a crumby attitude.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  06:32:23 AM  Show Profile
Becky, Thanks for the info. But I really wanted to do hands-on. I need to see and do so I can learn. And I need something close to me...I live in North West Georgia. Near Rome Georgia.

Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  06:48:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Rosemary Gladstar is based in Vermont and Susan Weed is in MA. Both are excellent teachers with amazing books. In addition there is the New England Womens Herbal Conference every summer with teachers from around the country...I would check out the website for the festival and read the bios on the teachers (just google for the web address I cant remember it) Perhaps you will find a teacher in your area that way. Last resort is to contact Susan Weed or Rosemary Gladstar and ask them if they can refer anyone in your area. Both women also have websites...

Im on the same path so perhaps we will cross at some point in the future...best of luck

www.sundariyoga.com
http://yogifarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://jlogosso.etsy.com

Farmgirl Sister # 285
Sister on the Fly #1002
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  08:11:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi ya'll, thanks for the suggestions. I do have books by Rosemary Gladstar and Susan Weed, both ladies are brilliant. I have found lots of goodies in my on yard. I just was reading about the medicinal uses of kudzu. I do believe I can find some of that around here. LOL.

there is a lady in Gatlinburg area that offers classes, due to a limited budget I can't do it right now, but maybe in future. I'm going to check out some field guides for now and go for a walk. good luck in your studies everyone. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  12:19:26 PM  Show Profile
The family herblist course at Dr. Crisophers site is a $400 or 500 course and it is being offered for $100 this year in honor of his 100 birthday. He died long ago but it was his belief to have an herbalist in every home.
I do agree and I think it is both helpful and informative to recognize the herbs around you. But plants grow best in certain areas. In the wilder days of my youth we KNEW that pot grew so strong in Hawaii and other such places. Same is true with any plant. Certain enviroments it grows stronger and more medicinal. Good herb companies buy herbs from the areas they grow best in. I think if you are really working with herbs you should use trusted brands. But the knowledge comes to you at the same time. In the event of terrorist events we know what we could use. We know what we can grow. Mountain Rose Herbs actually has a Herbal Survival Package.
I have been using herbs as my choice for preventative health siince the late 1970s. I mostly choose Natures Sunshine as they test all of their herbs for power and purity. I use from a few other places and I grow some of what grows best here. I always turn to herbs first. I know others on here feel the same.
I teach classes but I am in Texas.

www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Windsong on Oct 04 2009 12:20:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  03:34:29 AM  Show Profile
Yea wish I coulddo the same thing. Kind of like being an apprentice and learing and seeing w/the actual hands on.

It's so interesting.

I have scads of books too and use dried herbs purchased from Mt. Rose Herbs, but to actually be taken under someone's tutelage would be really cool!
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlermom
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Melissa
Logan AL
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  4:20:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Deborah! I read your question and just had to reply. When I "retire" from homeschooling my kids, I want to be an herbalist too! A good friend of mine has a brother who takes classes once a month. I don't know a lot about it personally but, I know he has learned a lot. The website is: The southern herbalist.com. The man who is over the classes is Darryl Patton. He helped write the book, Mountain Medicine (which I want badly, but its out of print and can't find one under $200). It's about the herbal remedies of Tommie Bass.I believe he offers a year long class that meets once a month. Last year the cost was $1250. I went to the website, and its very good. He offers hikes to the public which sound great! I'm going to do at least one of the hikes next summer! The hikes are all over the south, so one may come near enough to you in Rome. It's something you may want to look into.
I enjoy reading Rosmary Gladstar. She's quite good with her herbal information. I also like The Green Pharmacy by James Duke. I'm like you, I need to have hands on training! I want to be able to go into the "wild" and know what every herb is!
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  6:20:04 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, Thanks for the reply. I will go on the site and read a bit tonight. I would love to go on one of the hikes it sounds like a really good learning adventure. I have The Green Pharmacy, and a couple more. Ditto on being alike.
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  6:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
CCNH, Clayton College of Natural Health is an online college, they have graduates that may have some type of "in the field" programs available. www.ccnh.edu

http://www.ccnh.edu/about/admissions/programs/consulting_herbalist_certificate.aspx

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

Go to Top of Page

Peace2u2
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Debi
Hudson NY
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  6:59:38 PM  Show Profile
I buy all my books at ABE.com. Most times I only pay $1.00. It is a used book site. The description of the books I find is very accurate. Have never been disappointed. My daughter got all her college text books there. What a huge savings! Try looking for Mountain Medicine there. Best of luck!

All things good are possible with a bit of sun, soil, and love.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  8:26:05 PM  Show Profile
I went to many different websites, copied and pasted what they listed as their curriculum and then started to fill in the blanks. As I went along, I had a list of questions that I would have to search answers for, and I also started typing up my information. I cannot believe how much I learned, but at the same time, how much more I wanted to know, so I made lists of what else I wanted to learn.
Yes, you can pay for a Master Herbalist diploma, and the convenience of the one stop information but, I believe that if you use your capability to learn and devote a time to study each day, you will learn well.

www.muckingbootsandmagic.blogspot.com

www.meadowcrone.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic wanting to become an herbalist Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page