Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  10:55:46 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone want to share a favorite meal idea for those days when it is just too hot and humid to turn on a stove.

One of our favorites is pizza on the grill. I roll out the dough, and brush one side with a little olive oil. Then we grill that side and bring it back it. Oil the other side and flip it over. Top the already grilled side with your choice of toppings. One of our favorite combos is: BBQ sauce, smoked mozzarella, chopped red onion, and chopped chicken breast (also cooked on the grill). Then put it back on the grill for a bit, add a salad from the garden, and you've got dinner with no inside cooking!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  11:05:23 AM  Show Profile
We almost never cook outside in the summer heat. When it is still 100 degrees outside at 8:00, you stay in the house. We crank down the thermometer and cook inside. We eat a lot of bacon and tomato sammies and tomato and cottage cheese salad. We will do a big roast beef in the crock pot and make sandwiches for several days. Same with turkey breast and ham. We usually have the stove going full blast canning something anyway.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  11:09:08 AM  Show Profile
One of my favorite sandwiches is bacon, avacado, mayo, and fresh garden tomato on toasted bread. I know from reading the what you hate in the veggie dept thread that this won't appeal to everyone. We have smoked a couple of briskets and divided the meat up and put in the freezer, then take out as needed for good bbq sandwiches.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  11:25:33 AM  Show Profile
Sharlet, we have a lot of ABC (already been cooked) meat in the freezer. Like brisket, and sloppy joe meat along with the roast beef, pork, ham, turkey and chicken. When we do cook out, we always cook up a couple of pounds of hamburger patties. We love the flavor of charcoal but don't fire up the grill very often.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  11:31:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
that sounds like a great idea! I will have to try that!

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  11:57:50 AM  Show Profile
I use my crockpot alot when its hot, I throw a chuck roast in there, add a bunch of barbeque sauce and cook it til it falls apart, beef barbeque sandwichs, also use pork shoulder roasts, this is also a easy meal when you are feeding a hired crew for some of the real big jobs, as it works as a hardy luch also

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

MrsDirtDoctor
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Hallowell Maine
USA
165 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  12:09:21 PM  Show Profile
We use our meat smoker and then cook our corn on the cobb or whatever veggies fancy you and a garden salad, hardly no dishes or mess :)
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  8:44:03 PM  Show Profile
We cook pizza on the grill all the time. We use pita bread made at a bakery near our house so we dont even have to do the dough. I brush it with olive oil and sprinkle it with oregano. Very yummy. Sometimes I use pizza sauce. I have topped it with just about anything you can think of!

We also grill corn a lot this time of year. Its one of the few veggies DS will eat.

I also use my crockpot a lot as it doesnt seem to heat up the whole kitchen.
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2307 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2307 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  11:02:51 AM  Show Profile
We do alot of salads topped with meat. I will grill a couple of chicken breasts, a small steak atc. all at one time, than slice them thin, put in fridge and put salads together at meal time. There is nothing aas good as a salad made out of what is ready in the garden, topped with cheese, chopped egg and by adding the meat my husband will eat it too!

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Meals for those "Dog Days" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page