Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 one more reason to subscribe to Maryjanes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic one more reason to subscribe to Maryjanes Next Topic  

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  06:53:51 AM  Show Profile
I got to talking with a magazine distributor the other day while searching for SOMETHING to read (I had already devoured my latest issue of Maryjane) and as he took magazines off the rack and replaced them with the latest issue, I asked him what they do with the magazines not sold. "You want me to tell you they donate them to the library or the old folks home, don't you?" he said. Well, of course that is what the green in me wanted to hear. "I am sorry to say but they shred them and throw them in the dumpster," he said. Ugh! Not what I wanted to hear. He explained that the company he works for does not donate their unwanted and unsold magazines because it would discourage libraries, and old folks homes, etc to not buy these issues. Why not send them to impoverished countries who have no chance of subscribing? "Too much money to ship", was his answer. Poor guy, he was very sad to report this news to me. Here I thought that if I trucked up to my local Barnes and Nobel and lovingly bought my Maryjane magazine each time that I was voting with my dollar-- keeping Maryjane in stock! Well, I have learned what happens to all of the Maryjanes and other magazines that are NOT bought-- ick! Needless to say, my birthday is coming up and my husband already knows what to buy-- a year's worth of Maryjane magazines that will never be shredded! (unless an art project requires it!)

rachael

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  08:42:52 AM  Show Profile
On the same line...I recently worked for one of the major US card companies as a merchandiser. I went to five stores in my town and took down and restocked greeting cards. Guess what they do with the unsold cards...yep, toss them in the trash. In one store alone there were so many left over "Halloween" cards that I could just barely lift the bag to get them in the dumpster. When the area manager came around I asked him why they didn't have a recycling policy. He agreed that it would be wise but the people further up the corporate ladder didn't think it was cost effective to have a merchandiser pack and ship the cards back for recycling. I explained there are paper recyclers in our area who would pick up the cards for a fee. He said he would check into it, however, I didn't hear anything more about it.

Debbie

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  09:12:53 AM  Show Profile
I was at a Walmart a few years ago when I saw a huge cart of flowers headed to the dumpster. I asked if I could buy them and was told no, so I went to ask the store manager if I couldn't buy them can they donate htem to me and I would take them to a retirement area for the residents. Not only did the manager say no, he said they would poor bleach on them to prevent people from going into the dumpster to get them. He also said that was common practice with everything they threw out that was useful. That was the last straw, no more Walmart for me. It is so wasteful and unnecessary. And I know they are not the only ones doing that, but they could set a better example.

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page
  **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic one more reason to subscribe to Maryjanes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page