Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Tablecloths Next Topic  

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  3:16:49 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone use tablecloths? I have some that belonged to my Grandma and Mom that I am using. I just love it and the old ones are so pretty, just adds to this farm girls kitchen
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  3:51:06 PM  Show Profile
i like using tablecloths....i have some old ones, too. but i do admit, i use them more when we are having company and on holidays then i do for normal, everyday. we eat at our dining room table and it has a marble top so we use place mats more during the week. they are fun to collect!
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  3:57:34 PM  Show Profile
Use the ones I inherited from my G/ma, but only on the holidays. they are too pretty to use everyday, and I don't want to wear them out.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  4:19:34 PM  Show Profile
I use to use a plastic one with a backing on it.
I don't now.
I just like the wood table better
I think that cloth ones are pretty though
One day
I am going to crochet me one.
Use it now and then. hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativewritings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  4:27:58 PM  Show Profile
I have a tablecloth on the dining room table, but I need another one. I just don't know how to order the size I want. I measured the width and length of the table, but do I have to measure the drop on the length and the drop on the width also? If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  4:29:02 PM  Show Profile
I used to save them but then thought why, I am the one who enjoys them so may as well
They add some color too as we haven't painted our walls yet. We are making our garage into house.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  5:12:33 PM  Show Profile
I love vintage tablecloths, especially the ones with fruit on them.

Right now, there is a blue one with pears on my kitchen table. My Grandma embroidered me one for my Hope Chest, I think it's called Blue Willow. Love it!

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  5:26:58 PM  Show Profile
Marly, measure width and length, then add the drop, so if you want a six inch drop appox, add 12 ins, this goes for both length and width. There are standard sizes for tableclothes, so depending on your table size , is what size to get with the drop you want. I hope I just didn't completly confuse you, lol.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  5:32:04 PM  Show Profile
I love tableclothes, pretty cup towels,dish cloths, placemats, runners etc, When I go to a store I head straight for the dept. that carries these items. I have to feel them all and talk myself out of buying too many. Yes, I love the vintage ones and have a few. I don't use them on the dining table too often because I have lots of kiddos and messy people in my house and I don't want to ruin mine either. I do use them on tables in the bathroom, bedroom and for special occasions. They can make the mood of the room all by themselves. I like to set an outside table with one and just enjoy the evening with non messy people. If the messies (which I love dearly) are here I just bring out the plastic.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  5:38:06 PM  Show Profile
Sharlet, are "messies" kinda like fairys, brownies or other little tiny people form the other world?

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1676 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1676 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  5:44:44 PM  Show Profile
I just love tableclothes, runners and placemats also. I do have some very old vintage tableclothes that I use during the holidays. I also made several table runners for my differnt themes that I do. Summer, fall, winter,spring. It just makes the room cheery.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  5:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Check out the new MaryJane line of table clothes!! They are so adorable!
http://shopping.maryjanesfarm.org/s.nl/sc.2/category.18/.f#Linens

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  5:54:29 PM  Show Profile
Messies could be those you described Teresa. When I find a mess and ask who is responsible all I get is "not me , I wasn't even over there".
I have eleven grandchildren that come and go here and to be honest I'm sure if its the little ones or the big ones that make the most messes. Hubby wears his coffee as well as drinking it. He says he has a hole in his lip. If we are in the truck with a to go coffee, I think he hits all the pot holes just see if he can keep the liquid in his cup. Its a little game in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  07:55:38 AM  Show Profile
I love to use tablecloths. Unfortunately my kitchen table is this enormous old ovqal table and it is hard to get the right fit, so sometimes I use two tablecloths, usually the old yaha ones with flowers or fruit on them. I love fabric, so I have plenty of tablecloths I have collected and use them on all the tables when I have them cleared for a bit. i do have a coupple really gigantic ones I use for holiday dinners and my cats always like that because it creates a makeshift tent for them.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  08:14:27 AM  Show Profile
I don't use them anymore. But I still have one or two from my mom. y grandparents brought a souvenir type when they went to Canada in the 60's NEVER used, still in mint condition. I am happy to have it. I would like to use it someday...

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2309 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2309 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  07:56:30 AM  Show Profile
I love to change them as the seasons and flowers change in my garden. The grandkids like them to make tents out of under the table!

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  10:53:29 AM  Show Profile
I use antique table cloths only when no one is going to eat at that table. I use the plastic ones with flannel backing for holidays. I have all the holidays covered. Our family ranges from 1 month to 70+. There are 27 of us. And more on the way. 5 of the grandkids arn't married YET. No way am I going use a cloth table cloth when the gang is all here. In fact, I try to make the family get togathers in the spring or fall so we can eat outside. Thanksgiving is always up for grabs and our grown kids like to have their dinner with their kids and grandkids. Ole Ron and I float from one to the other. Christmas eve is Our dinner. Chili. They can't all come at one time because of other family stuff going on so they are in and out from noon till 8-9:00 pm. Believe me, the plastic tablecloth gets a work out.
Go to Top of Page

gentlewoman farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Judy
Bakersfield Ca
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  3:28:17 PM  Show Profile
I like to make tablecloths from lengths of yardage. I like heming them on the sewing machine. I also like to embroidry on them. I put them on the tables, inside and outside, but I remove them when we eat. I don't iron them, I just shake them, fold them and smooth with my hand. It seems to work.

Be good to yourself and be good to this earth.
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  3:41:43 PM  Show Profile
I just love table cloth's!! I have a few special one's that I hide away for something really special but other wise I always have something on the table. Now I love wood but there is something about a table cloth that just says home to me. I look for vintage, lace and crochet ones whenever I'm out. I to have a larger table but that doesn't stop me from throwing a smaller cloth diagonal in the middle of the table to highlite my pink depression center piece or the oil lamp with shade that I love to eat by.

Anyone ever thought of doing a table cloth exchange? Not a huge table cloth but maybe something for a picnic or porch table.

Heather

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  5:14:08 PM  Show Profile
I have a nice crocheted tablecloth that lets the wooden table show through. I keep it covered with a large clear plastic tablecloth. Much easier to wipe clean especially when my grandson is over. But truth is my table is covered with a lot of stuff. Books, writing paper, S&P shakers, butterdish, napkin holder, a few pens, sunscreen, water, ect.ect.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  6:37:11 PM  Show Profile
I love wood too but just enjoying my tablecloths and they really add color in a place that only has sheet rock on walls
MMM table cloth exchange is a thought.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

EllynAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

EllynAnne
Pueblo CO
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  8:58:30 PM  Show Profile
Hey! I love this thread... funny choice of word there...but what I mean is to touch the old cloths is like connecting to the women (related or not) or owned the coverings before us, and in using their goods within our modern settings, we honor what was important to them. Chills.

xxea

Tie One On...an apron, of course!
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  04:07:42 AM  Show Profile
EllynAnne well put. My Grandmothers always had tablecloths and I have such admiration for both that is nice to carry on!!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Tablecloths Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page