Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Best price at Farmers' Markets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Best price at Farmers' Markets Next Topic  

Tidy Aprons
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Oney Farmgirl #638
Colorado
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  07:29:30 AM  Show Profile
What is the best price you've seen at farmer's markets/roadside produce stands for

green beans?

carrots?

corn?

tomatoes?

peaches?

pears?

and other vegetables and fruits?

I'm going to have to supplement my garden's produce with purchases from other farmers/gardeners and while I want to support them I also need to get the best price in order to work within my budget.

Help.

~Oney~
"There's something a little holy in taking care of the places we inhabit, in summoning sheen. And there's a power in watching over our spaces, the rooms we move within, the sets where our life stories unfold." ~Lori Hall Steele

Tidy Aprons
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Oney Farmgirl #638
Colorado
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  08:55:55 AM  Show Profile
bump..... ?

~Oney~
"There's something a little holy in taking care of the places we inhabit, in summoning sheen. And there's a power in watching over our spaces, the rooms we move within, the sets where our life stories unfold." ~Lori Hall Steele
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  09:04:23 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure, I'm pretty lucky with my garden feeding us now and setting by. I haven't gone into the farmers market lately but I suspect prices may vary from place to place.

U-pick prices here
Strawberries 1.10/lb
Cherries 1.98/lb

I did offer some things recently at a shared farm market booth
Cilantro bunches .75
Swiss chard bunches .75

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  09:34:22 AM  Show Profile
I'm sure the prices differ everywhere, supply and demand. Sometimes at my local farmers market, I can trade what I have alot of, for something I need. I also do that with neighbors every year.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  11:28:16 AM  Show Profile
At my FM everyone is pretty much the same. I sell my beans and peas $4 a lb. $35 a bushel. Corn is anywhere from $3,50-5.00 a dozen and sells out fast. Tomatoes are $4 for about 5, then it goes up from there. Peaches start at $8 on up. The girl this morning sold out in a few hours.

People seem to want zuchinni this year. I sell mine $2 for a small basket.

I sold out this morning!! Everything I brought, GONE!! I love days like this. I sold out Wed, too.

Teresa, I traded a shopping bag I had made for a bag of peaches. I love doing that, too. But I am in need of money right now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jul 25 2009 11:29:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  2:34:49 PM  Show Profile
I don't buy, but do sell.

For most items it's something like 3.00 for 2-3 pounds of beans, 10.00 for a 5 gallon bucket of potatoes, 2-3 $$ for a handful of medium zucchini 10 cents an ear of corn or 3 $$ for a farmer's dozen. I sell any excesses of frozen wild blackberries/raspberries 5.00 for a gallon Small bucket of okra for 2.00 (2 pounds or so)

5 bulbs of garlic: 2.00

4-5 onions 3.00

We sell "meals to go" that includes many of these items in a box. the items depend on the requester. The boxes go for 6-9.00

And eggs 2.00 for free range

Keep in mind the places where you shop. My prices are way low due to the depressed area and saturated marekt for farm veggies.

Hopes this helps.

And of course, those farms that tout themselves as organic may naturally be higher due to the extra effort for soil enhancers (blood/bone meal) and weed control.

We do organic except for beans, and even then its only while the seedlings are small and tender and before blossoms are formed and set
Go to Top of Page

Tidy Aprons
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Oney Farmgirl #638
Colorado
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:17:34 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls....that gives me some ideas about what's doable.

~Oney~
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Best price at Farmers' Markets Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page