Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Nature Based Preschool Next Topic  

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  05:34:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,

I'm a writer who has been scrambling for work for some time. Now that I have a 3-month old, I'm looking for an alternate source of income, that will allow me to stay at home with him.

I've been thinking about having an in-home, nature-based preschool or daycare for some time.

If I decide to go forward with the preschool, I will have to scramble to get things ready for September. Here's my question--where do I find all that I need? I'm mostly stuck on the small tables/chairs. I've found some online but they are rather pricey and my budget is small. Ideas for outdoor games and play things? We don't have a swingset, but do have a very large, open backyard. I think I have enough ideas for the inside activity stations, though would welcome any ideas for inexpensive and creative activities for the kids.

This is all in the pre-pre-pre planning stage. I have no idea what the state regs are for doing this and am waiting for calls back about all of that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though! I have a great, big enclosed porch which is currently the dining room/office which would be perfect for a school room.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
-Joy

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  07:44:31 AM  Show Profile
I think every working mom is looking for a great place to be able to place their kiddos I think in this day and age the Regulations would be you biggest problem. I know that my Grand daughters both go to school one is all day 5 days a week and one is 3 days a week mornings only. The bottom line is that there kids are well taken care of and are liked by there school mates and teachers. And are in a happy and safe invironment.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

Edited by - gramadinah on Jul 24 2009 07:57:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  07:54:50 AM  Show Profile
Sure wish you lived closer to me! Do you have any thrifts or children's consignment in your area? We have a place called Once Upon A Child, and we have another called "Hand Me Downs" that are larger, but there are many "types" of these childrens' consignments all over with furnishings to sell.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  10:12:22 AM  Show Profile
Oooh, thanks for the idea, February Violet--I didn't think of consignment shops. We have several in the area, I'll be sure to check them out. I wish you lived close to me, too! We're in the northern part of VT. I hope this works, but am pretty nervous--so much to think about and plan for and I'm crazy busy as it is with writing and the baby. We'll see how it all turns out.

Diana, I think you're right, there's a definite need for good childcare in my area, too. Especially for baby care but I can't see taking another one that little--I have my hands pretty full (literally) with my son! :)

Visit me online! www.achickwithaconscience.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  11:45:07 AM  Show Profile
Remember also, you will need cribs for sleepy times, lots and lots of extra linens and blankets. Extra new bottles and sippy cups, so when they are forgotten at home or mis-placed. Make sure any used equipment is up to date on safty, and has not been re-called. Swing sets are great for older kids, but for wee ones/toddlers, there is a safty issue.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  1:13:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey Joy....I'm with Jonni that you should go to consignment shops...there are really low cost clothes, blankets, little games and such. Another thought is to be particularly careful, as some places need you to insure yourself and property in case one of these little children accidentally gets hurt. Definitely double check with with your state about what you need before moving forward. Depending on where you live, things could get a bit complicated: I know in NY some counties need you to child proof your home, show proof of any early childhood education training you may have had, and insure yourself against accidents, so it's quite a bit! Good luck though, it sounds like a lovely idea!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
Plan to save America the old fashioned way!
http://wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com/2009/05/big-project.html
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  08:29:04 AM  Show Profile
Joy,

Thought that you might like to see this link. Canterbury Creek Farm School is a preschool, but you might like some of the ideas that they use. http://www.ccfps.org/index.html

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
www.forresterfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  5:16:56 PM  Show Profile
Be sure to check your state laws on child care. Many require health department checks and certified nurses on staff. In my state you have to be a liscenced teacher to run a preschool.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Nature Based Preschool Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page