Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  3:29:21 PM  Show Profile
Going to be traveling thru Kentucky and Tennessee on our way to spend time with a group of friends who are meeting up in Gatlinburg -we are coming from PA, and I know, KY is out of the way but I REALLY want to go there so hubby agreed. Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions as to "must sees" while we are in these areas? We have rented a chalet for a few days in Gatlinburg that is supposed to have views of the Great Smoky Mountains...nature and good friends, who can ask for a better vacation???

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  5:27:14 PM  Show Profile
Well, my vote would have to be Pleasant Hill, in between Lexington and Harrodsburg, Kentucky, just off I-75. My words fail to describe it--it is 500 pristine acres of farmland (once many, many more) that was inhabited by the Shakers. The village is still almost exactly the same, and is in a historic trust and fully restored. Here is the link to the village itself, but I can't find the pics I took on one of our many, many visits that I posted here. It's our home away from home! Suffice it to say the place stills your heart and your soul and makes you long for another time.

http://www.shakervillageky.org/

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  02:53:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jonni, I think I read about that, it sounds like somewhere we would definitely enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  05:45:24 AM  Show Profile
I hope you get the opportunity. Even if you just eat at the trustees dining room, it's worth it--the food is wonderful, southern style-family style, and the low candle light just transports you back to another era. Further out on the acreage are hiking trails and horse trails that go down to the Kentucky River and the palisades, where you can see "High Bridge" which traverses the space across the high limestone is the precursor to....New York's Brooklyn Bridge! They are suspended cantilever bridges, and all still in operation...amazing!

I will try to dig up the pictures I took last year and posted on the forum. Simply can't say enough about it :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  06:05:41 AM  Show Profile
I remember those pictures! From everything I see in the postings of all our Kentucky farmgirls, this state is high on my list of places to visit too.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic KY and TN farmgirls Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page