Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 Home/Farm safety - mosquito spraying
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Home/Farm safety - mosquito spraying Next Topic
Page: of 2

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  09:27:14 AM  Show Profile
It's quickly moving toward springtime in our area - a time when, due to the large amounts of flood irrigation around, the county sprays for mosquitos with pyrethrin. They drive on the roads around the county spraying from a truck. I understand that most pyrethrins are plant-derived, and I believe that they are generally considered safe, but does anybody have other options that they use on a larger farm-scale for mosquito control?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  12:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message

ummmmmmmmmmmmm.......suffering.
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  6:14:44 PM  Show Profile
Sorry cant help you with that, but we have alot in NZ this summer. :(
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  6:41:18 PM  Show Profile
I live in a humid area right on the Mississippi River where mosquitos are a big problem, so I understand your situation. Sorry, but I don't have any answers.

But I had to chime in and share a sad but almost funny (if you have a goofy sense of humor like me) story. A few weeks ago I found some old issues of Farm Journal magazine from the 40's and early 50's. As I was looking through them, a picture & headline caught my eye. The article was about a new procedure being used in progressive communities around the country that was doing a great job of getting rid of the pesky and painful mosquito. The procedure? Spraying with DDT!!!

Of course, now we know how dangerous that was, but at the time it was something to be excited about. How interesting it is to see how what we now are so careful to avoid was once heralded as a wonderful thing.

Anyway, sorry for the hi-jack, but just thought I'd share.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.blogspot.com/

Edited by - happymama58 on Feb 24 2006 6:41:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  8:32:14 PM  Show Profile
I've seen some of those older stories on DDT, too - scary, huh? Kids used to even run behind the spray trucks, so they'd get sprayed and not be bitten by mosquitos! Yikes!!!

Thanks for the responses (and the sympathy!) - I know we're not the only are in the nation to have mosquito issues, and I just want to make sure that when that spray truck comes around, I'm not unknowingly subjecting my family and myself, as well as my farm and animals, to something that might end up being worse than the mosquitos...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  08:05:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey -- I'm one of those kids! The truck would come around about dusk spraying the DDT fog from the back. We all thought it was the coolest thing to follow behind the truck on our bikes.

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  08:42:40 AM  Show Profile
Wow - I had heard the stories, and really, what's to prevent kids from doing "fun" stuff like that?!? Isn't it crazy the things that we find out later about what we're doing now...

It makes me nervous. I'm not going to panic about our mosquito spraying, but I did want to check around for options.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

jmac1711
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Jane
Lost Nation Iowa
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  4:18:32 PM  Show Profile
Some areas of the country are now spraying enzyme cleaners. They are organic, enzymatic, bio-catalytic agents effective for mosquito larva and pupae control. These enzyme cleaners enzymes, as well as "Enviro-Green ALTER THE SURFACE TENSION OF WATER SO THAT LARVAE AND PUPAE HAVE DIFFICULTY MAKING CONTACT WITH THE AIR ABOVE THE WATER SURFACE film. Adult mosquitoes can not maintain surface contact on water properly treated with preformed enzyme cleaners. Late winter treatment of potential breeding water will preclude breeding. Other insects, as well as leaves, etc., do not remain on surface of water properly treated with preformed enzyme cleaners, but sink below the surface." I know that these products have been tried in local drainage and run-off creeks. We did see a significant reduction in mosquito's last year but it was also a year when we had very little rain too.
This site gives some great info.
http://www.getipm.com/thebestcontrol/chapter-23/Mosquitos-Part2.htm
Hugs,
Jane

Lord, let me be the kind of person my pig thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  8:37:42 PM  Show Profile
Jane, thanks for the information - I've never heard of that before, and I'll be doing some research to see if it's something I want to recommend that our county "sprayer" look into. THANK YOU!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

jmac1711
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Jane
Lost Nation Iowa
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  11:01:23 PM  Show Profile
You're most welcome Libbie. I was reading the posts about DDT spraying and I cringed. Before we moved out to the country we had this neighbor who sprayed like that too. I always worried I'd find him in his garden, legs in the air and twitching. Let me know if you come across an interesting find in your research.
Hugs,
Jane

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  07:21:03 AM  Show Profile
I started reading the book Living Downstream. The author stated that even though DDT was banned in 1972 that there is still evidence of it the environment today. Some of it is past residue and some is carried in the air from Mexico where it is still used.

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  10:41:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kay, I didn't realize Mexico was still using it (DDT) Alot of people w/ large beautiful lawns are using alot of sprays and we all get it that way too. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

jmac1711
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Jane
Lost Nation Iowa
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  12:03:25 PM  Show Profile
Do any of you have insect control programs that you follow on your farms? We have thought about doing this and just implementing it like maintenance. My brother suggested that adding minnows to the drainage creek around our place would be a good start. They eat the larva before they can mature. It sounds like a possible idea but I'm not sure they could live in the field run off water.
Hugs,
Jane

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  06:57:25 AM  Show Profile
Jane, I was checking out the link above and there is tons of information on mosquito control - I'm not sure about some of them, but there are quite a few that I'm going to try just as soon as it warms up enough for the little beasties to come out around here. I really think a farm insect control program would be a good idea, IF it's a safe one. One of the main problems where we are is that almost all of the farmland is irrigated, which leaves puddles of stagnant water, and when the irrigation canals are drained periodically, they all have puddles that remain, too. Doing things to irrigation water is such a sticky thing - everything that goes into that water goes right onto farmland...I'd worry about minnows in a drainage creek for that very reason - the field run-off, like you mentioned.

Last year, I bought these "mosquito dunks" from Gardens Alive and tied them to the bridges that go across the canal on our property border, and they didn't seem to do a thing, but then, I wasn't that vigilant in checking to see that they hadn't disintigrated or fallen off. Has anyone used these? I THINK, but I'm not sure, that they are Bt.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

jmac1711
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Jane
Lost Nation Iowa
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  11:39:58 AM  Show Profile
Libbie, it is hard to know what the safest thing is to impliment and even harder to find measures that actually work. :) I thought that site was pretty informative too. We too are deeply concerned with anything that is put into the water as we are an organic farm. I have never heard of the "mosquito dunks" that you mentioned. Can you tell me more about them? We are currently working on control plans for black fly, japanese beetles and boxelder bugs in addition to mosquitos. Ideas? Currently we are using the water/smelly bait drown traps, sticky paper rolls in the barn and a electric ultra-violet zapper. I had read the other day about application on "MoldySpore" to control japanese beetles. Suppose to last up to 10 years with one application. Again, a bit worrisome with the chemical application. Anyone used this product?
Has anyone used the newer propane CO2 mosquito traps? They are so expensive and for our large farm would not be practical over all but we were wondering about a couple for the coral and barnyard areas. If anyone has used this type of product can you tell us how it worked for you?
Hugs,
Jane

Go to Top of Page

WednesdaysChild
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Mandy
Suncheon
Korea
33 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  3:33:48 PM  Show Profile
I hear they still use DDT here, and I'm a little worried about breathing it in when spring/summer comes. I've heard the kids run through it here too. Guess it's a universal passtime for youth - funny in a sad way.

When I was little my father had those big electric bug-zapping lamps - one by the house and one by the main work/milk room. When he got them we noticed a significant reduction of mosquitos in our main traffic areas. They may not be cheap but they seemed to last "forever".

jmac1711 - I just have to say how much I love your signiture line - made me laugh and first thing in the morning that's hard to do.

Mandy

A Canadian farmgirl in S. Korea.

Edited by - WednesdaysChild on Mar 02 2006 3:35:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  3:49:58 PM  Show Profile
Jane, you almost made me spit out a mouthful of chocolate milk with your post about your neighbor! I laughed so long my dd came to see what was so funny.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jmac1711
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Jane
Lost Nation Iowa
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  5:11:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mandy and Patti:
With so many things today in chaos around us (economy, daily stresses ect.) it is such a beautiful thing to be responsible for a little laughter. Thank you for letting me know I caused some in your lives. And yes, Patti, "Mike" my imfamous neighbor is quite the fellow. He was a retired industrial engineer and therefore knew machines inside and out. Meticulous about his garage, everything had it's place. This included his lawnmover that hung on the wall of this workshop area. 2 times a week (in addition to his pesticide spraying routine) he would mow his lawn. After which he would leave his mover running til it completely ran out of gas! Usually about an hour, at the entrance to his garage. When we asked him about this he reproachfully stated that "no mower should be stored with gas in it." Apparently it damages the internal works. LOL Bless his heart, if the weed juice don't get him the lawnmower fumes will. I'm just sure he probably had con-nip-tion fits everytime he saw us park our John Deere with the tank half full. Yep, score one for the green-side. Have a blessed evening girlfriends. :)
Hearts and Hugs,
Jane

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  5:29:38 PM  Show Profile
This has all turned too funny! Thank you all for the laughs!!! I, too, had this vision of your neighbor, Jane, sort of looking like a potato bug/pillbug when it's placed upside down...pesticides are such scary things - you just never know what the long-term result will be, as far as I can tell.

The mosquito dunks that I mentioned above from Gardens Alive are, to quote their website: "Destroy mosquitoes while they are still larvae-before they can bite! Mosquito bites are not only irritating, but they are also quite hazardous to people and pets. The bites are known to transmit West Nile virus, and can transmit heartworm disease to cats and dogs. Drop the easy-to-use water-soluble pouch directly into standing water. Within minutes its granules will release fast-acting Bt israelensis into the water to target mosquito larvae. No-Squito! Mosquito Bioinsecticide: won't harm pets and wildlife close by, including fish, amphibians and other aquatic organisms. is effective in any area that retains water, including fountains, drainage ditches, water gardens, roof gutters, bird baths, tree holes, rain barrels, discarded car tires, flowerpots, spas and pools! will even control mosquitoes in salt marsh areas."

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

jmac1711
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Jane
Lost Nation Iowa
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  9:55:35 PM  Show Profile
Hey Everyone I got a great reference link tonight in my Agriculture Online Newsletter about the mosquito issue. Take a look:
agriculture.com/ag/story.jhtmlstoryid=/templatedata/ag/story/data/1141243653253.xml&catref=ag4001

Hearts and Hugs,
Jane

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  6:55:17 PM  Show Profile
Jane - would you mind double-checking the link for me? I'd love to check out the article, but I couldn't get to it. I tried searching for "mosquito control" on [www.agriculture.com], but of the 11 stories that came up, the latest was in 2005.

Actual mosquito update on our farm: zero sightings so far....however, flies are starting to emerge. Yuck, too.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

jmac1711
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Jane
Lost Nation Iowa
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  7:25:31 PM  Show Profile
Here's the link copied and pasted Libbie. If you still have problems let me know via jmac1711@aol.com and I'll forward the newsletter with links to you.

Hearts and Hugs,
Jane

agriculture.com/ag/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/ag/story/data/1141243653253.xml&catref=ag4001

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2006 :  8:42:38 PM  Show Profile
That's a good article - I am really interested in the differences between Bs and Bt, as well as putting minnows/mosquito fish in the sheep troughs - really the only bug problem we have around here are the 'skeeters, and they sure do put a damper on those lovely, cool summer mornings and evenings. I am just at such a loss since we are surrounded by flood irrigated fields, as I mentioned before. Maybe it's just the best plan around here to use Bt/Bs when feasible and get a loverly wall tent with 4 netting sides!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  05:28:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi JMac! I just started using the Milky Spore Diseases (sort of). I researched it all out and found that it's supposed to be a great product and also seems to be environment friendly. Only problem is it is fairly expensive and you need to apply it at least 4-5 times preferrably spring, summer, and fall. Why I say I used it "sort of" is because I told my husband about it and he used it on the whole yard except where I had planned to use it on my roses and told me later---Men! So, I have to go buy another bag for $36.00 (the co-op did give me some rebate coupons that maybe I can use) and I'm a season behind. It's supposed to really work though. Once you get it in the ground it keeps multiplying on its own. YEA! As far as mosquito's ---the best thing I found was when a colony of bats moved into the trees near the creek. Over the years, our little colony has dwindled on the other end where they migrate and we're down to one lonely little bat. You can sure tell the difference with the mosquitos as one bat eats aprox. thousand mosquitos a day. I used to be afraid of them until I learned more about them. Still wouldn't touch one though--rabies. Does anyone have any ideas about how to attract bats? No, I'm not batty :)

Be true in heart.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  11:27:29 AM  Show Profile
Terre - I really think that bats can make a difference, too. We have bats that live in our trees and they come out every evening, spring to fall, and absolutely FEAST around the yard - I hate to think what the mosquito population would be like without them! I don't know how to attract more bats, but I do know that you can buy/make "bathouses" like birdhouses, and that might attract a friend for your lonely little guy! I don't have a link for a bat house design, but I'm sure if you "google" it you'll be able to find a few.

What does Milky Spore treat? I have heard of it, but what pests/diseases does it help? It just might be a good option here, too.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2006 :  11:32:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi Libbie! Milky Spores Diseases treats Japanese Beetles while they are in the ground in the larva stage. They don't seem to harm anything else. I decided to try it, so I can enjoy my roses---not the beetles feasting on them. Enjoy your bats!

Be true in heart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Home/Farm safety - mosquito spraying Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page