Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 treadle sewing machines
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic treadle sewing machines Next Topic  

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2004 :  9:13:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi all!
I just bought a treadle sewing machine a Singer Red Eye built in 1908. I want to sew with it and it seems to work. I oiled it with some WD40 and added spinning wheel oil for good measure so everything is moving well. But the threading is different than the one shown in the Back Country food issue of MJ's farm also, the tension knob is in the front & the bobbin is drops in from the top and doesn't appear to require a case. I'm wondering if I should have bought a newer machine. Has anyone been able to actually sew on one this old? Has anyone else found helpful info on the internet?
Thanks, Elizabeth

teripittman
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Teri
Camas WA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2004 :  03:49:42 AM  Show Profile
I used to own an old treadle with a shuttle (instead of the round bobbin.) Yes, you can sew on them. Have you looked around to see if you can find more information on it? I'm sure that there are sewing machine groups on Yahoo that could help. You might try the "wefixit" group. They are sewing machine mechanics and there are also a few machine collectors.
Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2004 :  12:13:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi, yeah I did find the entire manual for the sewing machine on a website and prinited that up. It is moving but I guess the threading on these old machines can be tricky. Today I'm going out to buy Liquid Wrench, which is made up of mostly carosene I don't know if that is a very good product for the environment, but I think I need it. I actually know a man who works on these machines but he costs an arm and a leg so I was hoping to get this one running by myself. So if your machine had a shuttle it must have been pretty old huh?
Go to Top of Page

teripittman
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Teri
Camas WA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - May 11 2004 :  04:21:16 AM  Show Profile
It was a turn of the century machine. I had to give it up when we moved into the Airstream as there just wasn't enough space to set it up. People tend to give me old sewing machines for some reason. I'd like to have another treadle some day. They're very pleasant to use. You can have threading problems with any sewing machine. Sometimes you just have to play around with it to figure it out.

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  7:25:50 PM  Show Profile
I love my old shuttle machine...its the best for making heavy quilts with...when I was in my early 20's I found it at an antique store & the lady let me pay $5 a week until I paid its off ($85)...Its a old Montgomery Wards machine & it has traveled with me for over 30 yrs now....I do all the repairs on all my machines & the best product to use for everything is the sewing machine oil....WD40 thickens as time goes on & its a mess to clean out of your machine...the nice thing about the sewing machine oil is you can clean it out fairly easy with rubbing alcohol...then use a damp rag with lightly soapy water to wash the areas you can reach...let dry a few hours before you oil it again....also the old machines have lots of screws that really should be cleaned...I have a small screw driver & take one out, clean it, lightly oil it, wipe it & put it back in..i do this will ever screw I can find. Also if your wheel has a leather cording to make it move you should oil that as well so it doesn't get brittle...they are getting harder to find....I use lemon oil & let it soak in really good. I still have the same cording as when the machine was new back in the 1930's. Another thing is not to forget to lightly oil the trendle foot screws....& to keep the metal clean & rust free, put lemon oil on a rag & rub the metal areas.

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  9:04:32 PM  Show Profile
I sew regularly with the same model you have. It sews straight and true. My DH downloaded the owners manual off the internet. My bobbin winder even works! I love my old red eye! I have pictures on my blog if you want to take a look.
If it helps I could take a few pictures of the threading route if you need them. Let me know.

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/
http://littlehouseonthebumper.blogspot.com/ (My "glamper" page)

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  11:06:46 AM  Show Profile
OMG! Elizabeth,,,,where in N.P. do you live? I grew up there & graduated from NPHS!
I lived off Reino rd in the old Cal Classic tract....my sister still lives there.
We moved up here 3 1/2 years ago.(from Moorpark)..and I can not tell you how much I miss home..... sigh!
Anyways, how cool that you have a Singer Red Eye.....for sure search the internet,,,typing in "vintage Singer sewing machine info"...there are a ton of sites, just plan on doing lots of reading....one site to check out is:
http:/www.april1930s.com
http://possumjimandelizabeth.com
hopefully these 2 sites will help.
from one NP'er to another : > )

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  11:09:59 AM  Show Profile
Michele.....
I just sent you an email...I have (I think) the same machine,,,I just bought it 2 days ago....and the cool part,,,it is the size & weight of a Singer Featherweight, with out the Feather weight price tag!!!!
I think mine was made between 1935 & 1941,,,still researching it.....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic treadle sewing machines Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page