Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Hand Wringer question Next Topic  

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  2:00:50 PM  Show Profile
I am looking at a couple hand washers and I was wondering if any of you gals could help me out with a couple questions. I love washing my clothes by hand and hanging them out to dry just like my grandmother did. Never new what happened to her wringer washer. What my question is this hand wringer http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=4071&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=673&iSubCat=674&iProductID=4071, how does it work? Do you put the washed cloths into here for a rinse then run it through the wringer. Then would I need a washboard to wash the clothes, and how do you use them. This one is nice but out of our price range. http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=613&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=673&iSubCat=674&iProductID=613
If anyone could answer my questions it would help me out a lot, we might be buying our grandmas regular washer but I would only like to use it in the winter. Hope I am not asking any dumb questions, I just can't remember how I used my grandma’s old wringer. Thanks, Rose

Remember what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  2:09:45 PM  Show Profile
Sorry about that, I forgot to check my links before posting and I see that the first link didn't work. Here it is, sorry
http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=4071&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=673&iSubCat=674&iProductID=4071

Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  6:39:22 PM  Show Profile
It clamps onto the side of the tub, doesn't matter if the tub is round or square. You start by
starting the clothes between the two wringers, then start turning the handle which turns the
wringers and moves the cloth thru - when it comes thru, you grab the cloth with your other
hand so it doesn't fall on the ground or back into the tub of water. The water from the clothes goes out onto the ground, or back into the tub (depending which way you have the
wringer attached). You might find one at a country flea market or second hand shop or at
a garage sale, or at an antique store. I don't wash by hand, but I surely do hang my clothes
on a clothes line outside ('cept in the winter, then I hang them in the basement to put humidity in the house). You seem quite ambitious to me to be washing by hand. It sounds
nice, though.....and there are no dumb questions, just dumb mistakes because of not asking questions! Gotta love those ole grammas and the wonderful memories they leave us.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."

Edited by - OregonGal on Feb 22 2006 6:40:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  9:46:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh Rose! Hubby & I have the second version, only ours is an old wooden thing! We use it not for washing clothes but for harvesting dry beans! You leave your beans in the garden until the shells get dry, pull the plants up by the roots and then run them through the wringer. If you put a clean sheet on the ground to catch the beans they just POP out and you have a sheet full when you finish. More fun than washing clothes! ;)That new washer can do double duty for you!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  07:24:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the good information ladies. I wanted to check the messages last night but I had a nasty migraine so I had to go to bed early. I just was looking at these washers trying to figure out what we want. I wash a lot of my shirts and fabric by hand now because I think they always get wrecked in the washer. Thanks for the answers, Rose

Go to Top of Page

Suzie
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
7 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  07:21:49 AM  Show Profile
I have a wringer washer, not super old but probably one of the last the Maytag made. My mom picked it up at an auction. It works wonderful! Clothes come out super clean, granted it is a lil more time consuming. I can still remember when my grandmother washer her clothes in one outside on her back porch. You'll need a washtub or two for rinsing the clothes after they are done washing too. This does save on your water bill as well. Happy washing.
Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  07:29:56 AM  Show Profile
I had a wringer washer once.It used to 'walk' around the back porch when it was agitating! Folks would come to visit and ask what all that bumping noise was coming from back there! We finally built a stand to contain it!
I also caught my braid in the wringer one time! Had to scream for mil's help as I couldn't reach the safety latch.Boy my head hurt for awhile! We had a Briggs and Stratton gas engine to run it.Really saved on electricity cost.
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  12:42:40 PM  Show Profile
Your question about wringer vs. washboard is odd to me. The washboard is for washing dirt out of the clothes and the wringer is for squeezing out the water like the spin cycle does in a washing machine. They serve two different purposes.

You still need a baffled plunger or a washboard or something for the washing if you need to do more than just stir the clothes or use the James washer handle thing that beats the clothes.

Also I've given up on wringers. They are too hard on buttons and such. I've switched to clothing that is light (well, I do live in Arizona so that helps) except for jeans. So wringing amounts to twisting my clothes around a pole. That's easier on my hands than anything.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Hand Wringer question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page