Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 anyone use a dress form?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic anyone use a dress form? Next Topic  

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  8:55:09 PM  Show Profile
I have always wanted one. Just wondering if anyone really uses one or if it would end up in the attic collecting dust. I have thought about buying clothes at Goodwill or yard sales and altering them extensively and the form would make it easier.

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  05:01:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sharlet,
I've never used one buy my Aunt sewed for other's and did. As a kid I watched her adjust that thing to the exact size she needed. The dresses she made for other always fit perfect. Well unless they and a little to much chocolate cake the day before! LOL
Once when I was with her and bored to tears cause it was raining outside and I was stuck inside, she gave me a Styrofoam head to decorate. Armed with her stick pins and beads and crayon's she said "that form needs a head, fix her up". Oh what fun that was. Women back then wore hats, and had lots of them. She would put a hat on it to match the dress she was making just for fun. Gosh, Sharlet I had not thought of that for a million years. What a nice memory.
Yes, I think you should get one. And when not in use decorate it with aprons or a Victorian Lawn dress. How cute would that be??
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  06:50:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh how much fun decorating the head sounds. I like art, so that would have been right up my alley. I see clothing all the time at sales and like the prints or material and I think to myself " now,if I just ripped out those sleeves amd changed this or that it would suit me just fine." I just don't like trying things on over an over. I think a form would be fun to have too. My granddaughters would have entertainment here for sure. They like to dress everything.... the dolls, the cat, the newest little grandsons...... and now a new toy idea, when Nanna is not in her disign mode.
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  07:48:54 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 dress forms I actually bought at Wal Mart a few years ago. They were billed as "accessory" displays. They're fully pin-able, and about a size 8-10. First I used them when I had some vintage clothing displayed at a local antique store; now I use them in my home for decoration.
Go to Top of Page

Greyhound Mom
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

57 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  06:17:47 AM  Show Profile
I do the same! They make great displays at Halloween when I want to decorate with Ghosts! Although, I do use my dress forms a lot when I sew. Sometimes it just makes it easier to fit what you are making on the form. I am involved in Renaissance re-enactments and I make all of our dress garb. Some of those costumes are very hard to handle and the dress forms work great for that, especially if I am making a Corset!

B~

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth, and we have a sacred duty to protect her and return thanks for the gifts of life."
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  5:35:40 PM  Show Profile
I have a dress form called "My Double" made by Dritz forty years ago. It looks like a chicken wire suit of armor and is in two halves which snap together center front and back. I'm not the same size anymore, but it's still very useful for hanging a garment in progress overnight, adjusting the pinning of a center back zipper, and shaping a collar and facing in place.

Rosemary
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  6:00:57 PM  Show Profile
Sharlet, I have a dress form and it really does come in handy when I sew! It also is the best thing to take pics of clothes on!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  6:56:50 PM  Show Profile
I have never used one, but I think I will put it on my list of things to look for. I will probably look for a used one first. Thanks for all the input ladies. I absolutely hate to try on clothes in a store. I would rather sew most of them myself.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  8:15:22 PM  Show Profile
Sharlet,

I have one and do use it..it's wonderful getting my tops to fit the right way. I used it for altering ready to wear and also for tops that I make..I would love to have one for making pants! I can't seem to find one under $300 though.

You can find the newer forms on sale at Hancock's or Joann's fairly reasonable these days..I wound up with mine through a friend that had it given to her and it was the wrong size but the perfect size for me. :0)

Good Luck,
Steph

Queen of Dreamsz ~ keeper of dream kingdom
* * * * * * www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com * * * * * *

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Albert Einstein ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  8:25:17 PM  Show Profile

Steph
I do a lot more sewing in the fall and winter, so hopefully I can locate one in the next few months. I haven't sewn for myself very much in a while, but now that I live away from any really good clothing stores I plan on getting back into it seriously. Besides, I really can't find what I'm looking for most of the time. $300.00 is too steep for me too.
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1672 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1672 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  9:02:11 PM  Show Profile
Yes I have a dress form and use it all the time for myself or my girls. It is ajustable on by dirtz and about 30 years old. It really came in handy when I made my daughter's wedding gown two years ago and the bridesmaids dresses. Then I used it again for my other daughter's wedding gown last Oct. They are great to have.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  1:26:40 PM  Show Profile
I don't have one but wish I did. A friend loaned me hers when I made my daughter's wedding dress 4 years ago. It was adjustable and you could pin to it. Worked really well.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9327 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9327 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  6:36:20 PM  Show Profile
I have one and I use it. Not as much as I'd like due to lack of time for sewing. I used it when making dd wedding dress and it fit her perfectly when it came to trying it on. I got mine on ebay at a wonderful bargain

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  10:28:27 AM  Show Profile
I just got one at a Joanns sale. I'm going to really make it my double by following suggestions on: http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/digest.pl?c=58

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  11:16:38 PM  Show Profile
I want one, lol. I have been looking for one for a long time now but they are quite expensive :( BUT will keep looking, ya never know....

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I got at pottery barn on sale for 99 dollars flower one that one is the exact size I was at 16-27 I have one I bought for 90 dollars off of etsy cream one that one is the size I was from 27 till 35 I now have one I bought at a garage sale burgundy one that is adjustable ( the other two are not) and it fits my siz from the age of 35 till now. The fully thing is the sizes are not that much differnt the only change came because of kids and so my hips got 2 1/2 inches bigger after the first and 2 1/2 more inches bigger after the last. So the forms are size 7 size 8-9 and size 9 -10. Use them all the time on my blog as I make things and want to take easy photos. I just barely got the one that fits me currently so I plan to go back to making things for me to wear for the last 12 years I pretty much made things for my kids and when I needed to fit something I always just said I need to borrow you for a few moments they knew that meant they had to be my mannequins and would come stand next to me waiting to be little dress forms.

Here they are in aprons and my prom dress

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Farmgirl Sister #115
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store vintage threadshttp://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=79144

Edited by - sunshine on Jul 27 2009 08:35:14 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic anyone use a dress form? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page