Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  6:45:30 PM  Show Profile
I don't know what weird phenomenom is going on at our house, but it seems like we are getting hit with the plagues of Egypt.

We bought a box of diapers a couple of weeks ago and when we opened it up (the next morning) it was crawling with maggots!!!!! (insert gagging noise here!) We cleaned as though the apocalypse were coming. Everything gotten taken out of its spot and cleaned and put back and recleaned. We mopped floors, cleaned windows, wiped down cupboards. I was just sure there was no place untouched! I did every stitch of dirty laundry and some that was probably clean but might have touched the floor or didn't look as clean as I thought it should (this might be pregnancy hormones helping this part along) so I washed it all too!

So, that was about two weeks ago. Nice clean house, upkeeping well, staying on top of everything chores wise.

Then tonight, the next plague seemed to roll in IN DROVES!! FLIES!!
100s and 100s of flies just all of a sudden showed up. Hubby and I were sitting here on the computer and this one fly was perstering me like crazy. I looked up at the window and tons of them were all along the curtain. I got up to get Hubby the fly swatter and when I turned the light on over my kitchen sink, there were 100s and 100s more!!! I have never seen so many flies in once places. Just about the time that he got them down to a mere 50 or so, I pulled opened the window blinds and a good 50 more were all along the window pane.

Hubby finally swatted every single fly...we thought..now, we are contended with the last three that seems to be driving Hubby nuts. But we'll get him!!! (I say this confidently, because I am not sleeping here if we don't! LOL)

What in the world??? I am wondering what is next?!?! It's just crazy!
I am just hoping and praying that this is the end of all things gross and nasty.

I blame the diaper box for the whole problem. You can believe me when I tell you that we trucked that box of diapers back and told the stores we got them front just what the problem was!

ugh!
well, enough of my ranting and raving ( I promise these pregnancy hormones will subside sometime and I will be "normal [whatever that is..lol] again. :D )

hugs all

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com

LisaTwo
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Lisa
Hampden Maine
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  6:58:01 PM  Show Profile
I don't know what to say 'cept...eww.

But congrats on the baby anyway!

Smiles,
Lisa

http://pinkporches.blogspot.com/

*And you know when the truth is told-- you can get what you want--or you can just get old.* (Billy Joel)
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  7:02:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the Congrats, Lisa!! and I wholeheartedly agree with that EWW!!!

hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  7:22:35 PM  Show Profile
Gross...maggots! We have had those big flies after a rat or rats died in one of our walls and I almost had to move out. The smell was sickening too. I use about fifty candles to try to cover it up. I think it took a couple of weeks to go away. The flies we chased down one by one. Hope you feel somewhat sanitized soon.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  8:08:56 PM  Show Profile
You have something dead around there, besides just the diaper box from a couple of weeks ago, attic, in the walls, in the under crawl space. Also, I would right a letter to the diaper company and tell them what happened and where you bought them from, so they too can investigate, also call your local health dept, that is just too nasty.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  8:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ewww! I wonder if a bunch of the maggots got out and were able to mature to flies somewhere? EWWW EWW EWW! Hope the plague stops there for you!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Wow....what a strange place for the flies to lay their eggs which eventually hatched as maggots. That is just too weird and I can understand why you feel like you'd had a plague strike your home. I wonder if maybe a rat or mouse had died in the warehouse where the diapers were probably stored close to that package and you got the end result when you bought them. I agree with Teresa. I would contact the health department and tell them what happened so they can investigate that company warehouses. I bet the rats or mice were getting into boxes of diapers to use the fluff for bedding and one died which started the whole deal. I would also write a letter to the company. Too bad you didn't take pictures. The company may offer you free diapers but makes you wonder if they do...will you even want to bring them into your home?

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  05:20:59 AM  Show Profile
Eeww...maggots! Can't stand them, the sight makes me physically ill. I'm almost scared of them. I hope the flies were just the result of the maggots and your plagues will stop there.
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  06:34:18 AM  Show Profile
Well I have to agree with everyone ewww! I wonder what in the world they were doing in a box of diapers of all things. Weird!

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  07:07:45 AM  Show Profile
We finally got all of the flies before we went to bed last night. It was just crazy.Out here where we live, there are tons of animals. I just posted about the lovely skunk stand off I had not too long ago. I wouldn't doubt if maybe one of those died or something like that.

Amie--I know what you mean. I can't stand the sight of maggots either. I spent most of my time going between throwing up and cleaning them up. No fun no fun no fun!

We switched diaper brands.It was just too much to look at those types of boxes without wanting to gag.

I am hoping this is the end of all things yucky and gross!!

hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  07:44:49 AM  Show Profile
Jessie,
I will never be abel to look at a box of diapers the same way again.EWWWWWWW!!

Tina
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  07:49:50 AM  Show Profile
Ok. That's just gross. Guess I'm glad I use bumgenius cloth dipes :)

I felt like we had the plagues a few weeks back, too, only it was fleas. Our dogs (and cats) apparently have fleas that don't respond to Frontline (?????) and they were everywhere, all at once. Controlled now, but for a while it felt biblica.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  08:05:33 AM  Show Profile
Oh no, Jonni! Fleas can be wicked! Just about the time you think you've got them all it seems like round two hatches. Glad to hear you've got them all under control. Crazy things my friend, Crazy Crazy!!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  08:16:49 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree, Jessie! It was exactly like that, too. You think you got em licked, and BAM, there's another round. I took the baby and slept at my mom's for almost a whole week!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TurkeyGirl
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Carrie
Wellington OH
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  7:19:25 PM  Show Profile
Eww Eww Double Eww. I really hate to admit publicly that you aren't the only one with this problem. My house is crazy, and cluttered in places but not icky or dirty... but I've been finding maggots. And I HATE maggots. And Flies. Yuck. I don't have anything dead, I'd smell it for sure. I think it's been so dry, the flies were looking for some moisture and they must have found it inside my house?? (They have plenty of places to live in my barn, but in my BATHROOM?) I think the flies have been hatching somewhere around the window sills because I find them there. I brought the shop vac in and sucked up every crack around my windows and the floor by the sliding glass door. I was thinking about putting some diatomatious earth dust in some of those cracks where the maggots seemed to be coming from. I have gone double time on mopping around here.
I've been plagued with itty bitty ants too. This lasted even through the winter. I've tried everything short of calling in someone with chemicals, and I still have them.
We used to have the flea problem, and I am really sensitive to flea bites. Luckily, we seem to have them gone this year. So far. Probably jinxed myself.
Carrie

Opportunity is often missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  8:57:57 PM  Show Profile
Carrie---are you sure we aren't neighbors?? The dumb window sills seem to be where the flies are swarming out of. We thought we had them all last night before we went to bed, but we went back to battling again today and then before we went to bed. I don't know what the world they want with my house. It is clean here--I PROMISE!!
I've got ants too, but I have those every summer. They are the puny ones that can't do much damage except crawl around and drive me bonkers..lol

Hoping we both have some good luck getting rid of our pestilences!!
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic the 10 plagues???? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page