Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 so mad I could spit at Walmart
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic so mad I could spit at Walmart Next Topic
Page: of 2

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  08:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
BTW, I wish I could cut Walmart out of my life but for us, it's a little bit impossible for certain things....

~~~~
http://nightbirdtrading.etsy.com
http://www.stevietribute.com
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  09:03:51 AM  Show Profile
I've stayed away from wal mart for all the same reasons..and also because when the husband & I delivered the freight for them, all the store managers were pretty fried..burned out..and exhausted. Corporate Hdqt. would push them to get soo much into their stores, regardless of whether or not they had room on the floor for the product.

The sad and ugly thing about the store, is there is such a violent mentality to their overbearing prescence (sp) in a community. The corporate ideal is to price competition out, at whatever cost is necessary. No if's and's or buts. The distribution centers are horribly overcrowded, and once a tractor trailer arrives, there is usually a wait of up to an hour or more to unload the freight..with the corporate chiefs screaming to get the freight moving faster. A viscious cycle. We had to make 3 back-to-back delieveries up to Maryland in a 2 day time span. We made it, but that was near the end of hauling freight for them. Plus the distribution centers have a clever way of "losing" paperwork the truck company needed in order to pay the drivers..I can't count the weeks we got paid less than $120 for driving over 2200 miles.

I didnt go in a walmart for over 2 or 3 years, an' finally went last spring...I felt sick, an' will sit in the car in the parking lot if tom absolutely has to go into the store. The memory of all the ugllieee with them still gives me the creeps. The chain is the very picture of corporate greed gone into overdrive. Don't ask some truck drivers of their experience hauling freight for them..my reaction is pretty mild compared to some others. Some drivers have crashed trying to get the freight to the stores in their (wal mart's) alloted time frame..some companies that haul their products have stopped carrying their freight because of the time constraints placed on the drivers..it's just getting uglier and uglier.

Answer? -- stop shopping there. Plain and simple. When reading the business page, several articles have stated that some of the stores across the country are recording lower than expected sales. It makes the corporate office go into a tailspin. Good. Keep staying away from them, and they'll have to change the way they do business. The maybe/good thing about walmart closing their fabric departments is that now maybe some of the mom & pop stores can reopen and actually make a go of it. It may be awhile before that's a possibility. but it's something to think about.

This went too long,but the rant is sometimes just needed, know what I mean?!!

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  10:25:48 AM  Show Profile
I try to shop at locally owned business wherever I can and I specifically avoid Walmart.
I'm lucky in that I live close to a city that has several good independent fabric stores so I try to patronize those. I have found some good websites for fabric and patterns though including sewmamasew, Rubyjane, Cia's Palette, and equilter.com. Hope that helps - I too would rather hold fabric in my hand but when it comes to cotton yardage, if I'm familiar with the designer or fabric company I know what I'm getting.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

MrsDirtDoctor
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Hallowell Maine
USA
165 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  3:14:05 PM  Show Profile
GRRRRRR at Wally world!!!! My mother in law came to visit last week and we strolled around the fabric and found some we wanted..we waited about 40 minutes for someone to come help us!!! that's when they also told me that the crafts in most stores are going...such a dumb idea
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  3:41:32 PM  Show Profile
I live south of Houston and of the Wal-Marts close to my house only one has fabric. We are lucky though because in our area we have a JoAnn's a Hancock and 4 quilt shops where we can get fabric. I try to stay out of there if I can. I have purchased fabric on-line a few times and get alot of it at the International Quilt Fair that comes every year. I was in Wal-Mart for ant poison and decided to check the fabric department for embroidery thread and with 5 aisles of craft and sewing supplies they had none. GRRRRRRR.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  5:14:16 PM  Show Profile
I get most of my fabic on-line also, JoAnns.com, and Fabic.com , and I have bought some thru ebay, other wise, the closest fabric store for me in down in L.A. and I refuse to go down there, scary, dirty, way crowded place!!

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  5:46:55 PM  Show Profile
Sharlet, I buy the majority of my fabric on line. Our Hancocks went out of business. Now our Jo-Ann's has closed their best store. There are only quilt shops to buy fabric in. I don't know what I will do when I really need something special. Internet, here I come.

There is one Jo-Ann's in Lancaster, CA and I do like it because it is so bright and airy. Of course I can only use it when I am visiting my kids.

Betty in Pasco

Edited by - Betty J. on Jul 20 2009 5:48:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1673 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1673 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  8:25:59 PM  Show Profile
Sharlet, I know exactly what you mean. The Wal-Mart here in Alvin did the same thing ayear or so ago. So livid I was and still am.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  8:38:47 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad I'm not the only one that's had it with Walmart. I have threatened to stop going there for a long time, but now I really mean it.
I'm going to get a whole new education in ordering on line. I have bought a few things on line, but very few. I have never bought one piece of fabric though. I've been checking out some of the sites posted here and it looks like I will be able get most of what I want. So, my new adventure will start soon. I thought it might be good to start a thread with just the good websites posted for fabric and notions. What does anyone else think? I'm not sure if there are that many though. Could be all the good ones are already posted here.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  04:59:30 AM  Show Profile
hubby calls wallmart the devil store

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  06:44:14 AM  Show Profile
Here is another place for fabric. www.voguefabricsstore.com I have not bought from them yet, but you can order swatches and they have deals all of the time. They also have a huge selection of fabrics.

One other thing about Walmart is that they don't always have the best prices. I shop a lot at a local grocery store and quite often their prices are better. Besides that so much of what you get at Walmart is chap quality so the money you save isn't really a savings at all!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jul 21 2009 07:09:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  09:39:42 AM  Show Profile
Monica
Now your getting me into trouble - I thought we where to destash and now I am finding more great fabric - Shame on you!!!

Just kidding - I do not think we can break our habits of fabric stashing but it is better then some habits... I am going to keep telling myself that to feel better.

Thanks for the new site.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  10:50:52 AM  Show Profile
It's funny, I am a 'tactile' kinda person when it comes to shopping for fabric...I need to look at & feel the fabric befor I buy it. But living out here in the country is not always simple, & our local Wally World doesn't sell fabric and I can't just hope in the car & run down the road to Joanns or other local fabric shop, so I find myself planning my "fabric shopping" trips bundled up with in town errands....I now am venturing out of my comfort zone & starting to buy fabric on line from both Frabric.com & e-quilter.com. In fact my latest order just arrived yesterday...I ordered some "I Love Lucy" print fabric for an I Love Lucy themed apron swap.
e-quilter's is wonderful! they communicate with you, ship promptly and even wrap the fabric up nicely in tissue paper. I am very pleased with them.
Well speaking of fabric, better get out side & water my garden so I can spend the rest of the afternoon sewing...

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  11:14:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
I was not all too happy about them shutting down the fabric dept either. Its on my way home from work and i would love to stop sometimes and just look at things to get some ideas... now its an hour and fifteen minute drive to fine something good, and even then their prices are high

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:43:46 PM  Show Profile
Sharlet,

Let me know when you're up this way if you want to have tea, or coffee, or even lunch!

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:57:19 PM  Show Profile
Tanna,

I sent you an email.
Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  1:04:48 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I made a vow on our wedding day never to shop at walmart again since they are putting our little shops out of business. We thought we would end up spending more money, but in fact we ended up saving more money by not being enticed by all of the end cap items that they have in Walmart. I have never been happier!

Amy

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it ~Aristotle

please visit www.amywarwick.com.
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  1:18:26 PM  Show Profile
Claudia, there are two fabric stores in Belleville, and the Peight's store there has some fabric. The Lewistown Walmart still has a fabric department because of the Amish and Mennonites in the area, but it's been drastically downsized.

The availability of fabric has changed in the past thirty years. There is a generation or two of women who no longer make their clothing, because styles of dressing has changed. The fabric manufacturers are no longer here, and those remaining are making specialty cottons for quiltmakers. At my local JoAnn's (twenty five miles away) only half of the floorspace has fabrics, and most of that is devoted to quilting, novelty prints and bridal.

I'm not a fan of Walmart either. As my knees aged and their store expanded, I found myself worn out by the time that I reached the back of the store. My time is worth more than the fifty cents that I might save.

Rosemary
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  5:55:48 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I think you have gotten me into enough trouble so maybe now we are even!!hehe!! I actually have only found about 3 pieces of fabric that I am able to easily part with! I am trying to destash, but it's just not going that well because every time I start looking through boxed to sort stuff out, I am like a kid in a candy shop and I find things I had forgotten I had!

I am going to keep telling myself the same thing!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  6:41:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh My - I went to equilter.com and I must have spent an hour looking at all the fabric I should not get. I think it is good bye to stores and HELLO to on line fabric - I am now going to a site called Sew Mama Sew - it is another site someone gave me. Bad, Bad, Bad Grace

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  6:52:56 PM  Show Profile
I just looked at Sew Mama Sew and it has the cutest patterns. I haven't looked at the fabric yet, but will in a few minutes. Thanks, this is a really cool site. The aprons are great too.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  6:58:30 PM  Show Profile
Betty J., they closed the JoAnns fabrics in Lancaster about 2 years ago, Hancock fabrics in Lancaster is also gone, for at least 3 years, Micheals is gone too.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  9:34:57 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I checked out Sew Mama Sew and all I can say is that it's probably a good thing I can't afford most of it! I did remember another site that I looked at and I know it's not helping matters to post this, but they have TONS of fabric!!!!! http://www.craftconn.com/Main.asp?Task=Custom&Step=Home I am not sure if someone has already posted this or not! I have never ordered from them though!

Sharlet, I think it would be a great idea to start a thread about online fabric sites! It would be good to know if others have bought from places and how the service was!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic so mad I could spit at Walmart Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page