Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Geeze Louise! Enough Already!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Geeze Louise! Enough Already! Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  5:30:46 PM  Show Profile
I was in the milk room just now milking and Kansas wanted me to make her a little headband for a feather. So I grabbed a collar thinking it might fit but it was too little. So I threw it up on the shelf and there was a darn ole chicken sitting there! Scared me to death! And she's sitting on 10 eggs. And they can't be fertile because Mr. Woo died a week ago. Well, some of them might have been. But I don't want any more baby chicks!!! Palease! Is that all those little Banty hens do? Good grief already. I already have a hen sitting on 13 that should hatch about Tuesday and that is it girls. No more if I can help it.

This morning that hen and the other mother hen were fighting. I could not figure out why they were. But they both look exactly alike and they were both making that mother clucking sound. So I guess that's why. She had gone broody.

So I just went out there and took all the eggs. That's it, Louise. I should throw her out of the milk room and shut the door. That shelf is right over where they had started laying eggs and I noticed there weren't any for a few days. That's why.

Anyway, all but 2 of the first batch are roosters so I really don't want anymore. Also the 7 other little chicks are doing fine. And so are the 13 guinea chicks that are left.

Anyone need chicks?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  9:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
An embarassment of riches? Or is the Chickes? lol

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  9:30:42 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it frustrating to find yet ANOTHER nest?! The first time I found a hidden nest I was totally enchanted with that hen and her determination to have a family. Now, they just tick me off. ;) I want to eat those eggs, darn it! I'm paying enough for them!!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  10:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Kristen, how frustrating but what a sweet story! Made me giggle!! (sorry) I miss all the new chicks that I lost to some scavenger and all I have left are bantys...they can be quite nasty can't they?! I have one laying, about 7 are on strike (I'm sure of it - no production here!) and only 3 are laying???!!! When I go in to retrieve the "few" eggs they give me, all they do is give me gruff, peck at me and throw a tantrum!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  11:40:19 PM  Show Profile
Well Kris, you could always try selling them on Craig's list in your area. That's what a friend of mine did around here, she got an amazing price too. Chicks are more scarce around here, at least they were for a while this spring when everyone was wanting them. She sold hers to "city folk" so they might not have even thought they could order from Meyer(where I got mine).

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  05:08:58 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad all you with banty hens know how I feel. I love the little girls but really, it is kind of frustrating to be getting several eggs a day in a nest that I found then nothing. Then I have to go egg hunting again. Then I find one setting on a huge amount of eggs bigger than she is.

BTW, do ya'll's hens ever lay in an actual nest box that you have provided for their comfort and your ease? My have NEVER done that! They are all over this property. I never know where I will find a nest here. Yesterday I heard one very noist hen out back, went to find her and she's ON THE ROOF of the goat barn! And she looked like she had just layed an egg. I can see up there without a ladder, either. Darned ole bird. And it's just tin roof up there.

I'd love to hear some stories of where ya'll have found your eggs. That would be a good book.

Cindy, if I could catch the little buggars, I'd love to sell them!

Molly, that's just how I was at first. That's why the title!

Melissa, you should go on an egg hunt. I'm sure they are laying somewhere out there. That's what I thought at first then I'll find huge nests full of dozens of eggs. And they are mean little things for sure. They've pecked so hard I have bled.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  06:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristin- I used to go out egg hunting every day at the ranch. It was amazing the places I would find eggs. One time I discovered a board on the hay bar had fallen off and the chickens were jumping up and climbing into a hay bale they had hollowed out! It was the weirdest thing to see!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  03:36:34 AM  Show Profile
Oooo tell me about it!

We have 1 big hen and 4 silkies all broody now.

I do sell the smaller eggs to a customer, so I kinda need these eggs too!

Good news is, we are going on vacation, so checking for banty eggs will be one less thing for our neighbor to have to do.

It is frustrating!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  10:23:21 AM  Show Profile
I've found eggs in the oddest places too. A few months ago I was playing "Egg hunt" and found a HUGE nest of Leghorn eggs (they were all white-- the only hens I have that lay that color) There is a stack of old hay bales in the "Little" shop where we store things, and the hens had made a nest between them. They laid SO MANY that it looked like a waterfall rolling out from between the bales! It was kind of neat. Wish I'd taken a picture.

Some of my hens will use the nesting boxes in the chicken house, but most of them won't. One of my leghorn hens likes to lay in the oven of an old cast iron cookstove stored in the chicken house. My Maran hen lays them in the upturned lid of the old round chicken feeder. She's so heavy she's actually shoved it down inside the body of the feeder. She will also lay them on the floor UNDER the nest boxes and in the far corner, where I can't reach them, under the roosts! She's not a very bright hen, but she sure lays pretty eggs.

Only my Jersey Giant, my adult buff and a few of my Americauna's will lay eggs in the nesting boxes. The rest of the girls like to hide their eggs where I can't find them.... until it's too late.... (LOL!!)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  10:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Tracy! ya gotta take some pics for us! I can imagine how adorable the pics would be!!

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  11:15:35 AM  Show Profile
My Welsummer and Americana hens have been laying in the hay feeder I put out for the goat kids. There is always one blue egg and a dark brown egg. Awhile ago I went out to get them and there was one of the Banty eggs in there, too! The Banty's have been laying in a little bit of leftover hay that the dogs had made a bed out of in the milk room for awhile, too. Then before that they had made a nest under the cedar tree in the tomato cages covered in poison ivy. That was fun, trying to get eggs and not touch that stuff!

Chickens sure are creative little ladies. I wonder where all my new Buffs and other chicks will start laying their eggs, They are all over the place so there's no telling.

Tracy, if I find a nest that has a dozen or so eggs I still use them. I'll break each one separately before I do. Yours a very creative, too.

The hen that's been setting on the 13 eggs in the hay field is having babies right now! I heard some little peeps and she's clucking! There are 2 of the Welsummer eggs in front of her kind of under her but not quite. So I don't know if they'll hatch or not. There may have been too many for her. I can't wait to see how many she has.

Anna, I feel the same way! I need those eggs, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  10:45:56 AM  Show Profile
I was just thinkin'--- if WE were all FEATHERED hens (instead of just HENS, according to the MALES of our species-- HA! HA! HA!) where exactly would we lay OUR eggs.....Hmmmm......? I certainly wouldn't be layin' in POISON IVY!! Even if I'm NOT allergic to it!!!! ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  02:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I can't remember if I posted this chicken cam one other time or not. It's how I get my chicken fix. I so want chickens but my lot is so small there's just no room.
http://www.camchickens.com/?name=camchickens

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Geeze Louise! Enough Already! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page