Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 Clothes for us "petite" people?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Clothes for us "petite" people? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  12:25:37 PM  Show Profile
I usually just call it "short", but anyway......

I'm only 5 feet tall (yes, exactly), and lots of times I see clothing I love, like the patchwork skirt on another posting. Often, though, the cool, funky clothing doesn't come in petite sizes.

Anyone have any favorite stores/websites for buying petite clothes? I'd especially like to hear about any websites-I like shopping from home in my pj's way better than going to the store!

Thanks!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  12:58:20 PM  Show Profile
I don't know what you're style is, but I love Ann Taylor, Loft, and Chicco for things that are a little funky and also Cold Water Creek for that type of thing..

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  4:03:03 PM  Show Profile
You know Jennifer, that is exactly what I was thinking when I saw that beautiful skirt. You got me by 1/4 inch :) If big hair comes back I can be 5'1" :)

I'd like to see what places carry petite clothes that are stylish too. Sometimes I find things at Christopher Banks but haven't seen anything like that skirt yet.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  05:20:41 AM  Show Profile
I have to say ladies, it has been a life long hassle. I am 4'11" and I reached a point in life I just did not buy anything that had to be altered. Too much hassle, and by the time you cut if off, it was not so pretty anymore. I have found some things at JC Pennys, not so cool or funky. Always can rely on my denim skirt. Those really never go out of style. But would love to find a cute denim jacket like I saw in MJ magazine, with eyelet lace on the collar. Yes, coldwater creek has beautiful things. I am pretty budget concious and so look for really good buys. Sometimes, if and when I have time, thrift stores can be surprising. But finding that look can be difficult at our height and size.
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

Edited by - Lynner on Jul 23 2009 05:21:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  06:45:20 AM  Show Profile
Sheri,

I thrift as well. Once in a great awhile I do find something. I hate paying full retail price so I try to find clearance merchandise. Coldwater Creek and Christopher Banks often have good clearance prices on their website. It is hard to find clothes to fit that aren't too long. I have had a hard time finding jeans because even the short or petite ones have an inseam of 30 inches and I am about a 28 inch inseam :(

I am learning to sew this year so I can make my own skirts at least.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  06:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Kohls and my Auntie is only 5 ft, on a good day as she says, she tends to look for things in good fabrics and takes them to a tailor. She always look pulled together and with her own style. The thing I have learned, no matter how short, tall, weight wise or not you are, trends don't always work well on everyone, so take pieces of them. I love the hippie skirt look too but I look like a walking quilt, so I bought a cute purse in patchwork and added a small piece of patchwork to an older jean jacket. It works great.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  08:52:41 AM  Show Profile
Heather,
I love the piece of patchwork added to your jean jacket. What a great idea! I am going to starting hitting the thrift stores for a good jean jacket. Thanks for the idea.
Sheri

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  09:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
You are welcome Sheri. I dress more corporate these days, so a lot of my money goes towards work clothes. I don't have the money to spend on around the house/town things, so I try to be trendy without looking like Oh my goodness, she is trying to be trendy. I just took 2 pieces of my favorite fabric, frayed the edge on one and pinking sheared the other, laid them cockeyed on the jacket and blanket stitched them on. I also added a fabric flower, because that is my chic side!!! ; )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  12:35:55 PM  Show Profile
Sheri I'm with you ... and am 48 years old and still only 4'11" tall :) I usually go to Kohls or Christopher&Banks then hem. Or make my own. Thrift store are always nice but I don't really "dress my age" I prefer jeans ( pants or skirts) and t-shirts, sweatshirts, or long sleeve button down shirts. Even shoes are a hassle to buy. Thankfully my children are taller !!
Tammyb
Sisterchick #541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  3:44:24 PM  Show Profile
Tammy,
I hear you on not dressing your age. I do have to be careful, my daughters tend to keep an eye on my clothing. They are 29 and 31, and prefer to see their mother dressing a little younger. It is really quite nice, come birthday time, we power shop. Knowing it takes me too long to make a decision, they pick it out and if it fits we get it. Correct also, you dont find the trendiest clothes at thrift stores. But sometimes a shirt to match something else, etc. Yeah, I am sorry, I cannot offer you much hope. I am 54 and never made it to five foot, and sounds like pretty soon I will start back the other way. LOL Bummer
But hey, its all good....right?
Sheri

Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  4:57:55 PM  Show Profile
Sheri I do NOT want to think about shrinking :) but then again if no one looks close we can get in for kiddi prices :) I have learned to love me for me ... short and all. But I am glad I've kept my semi long hair although God is coloring it for me now and thankfully I am in my weight range. Now to just keep myself there !!!
Tammyb
sisterchick #541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  04:29:03 AM  Show Profile
Tammy,
You are too funny! Yes, I too have accepted my shortness. In highschool it was thought to be cute, now just annoying at times. But I keep a step ladder in the kitchen, and drag it out when needed. I love the idea, God is coloring your hair. I have been coloring my own for years, though it was against my original plan to let it go gray. But now, I am allowing God the privilege. Not so bad after all, and my husband who has had white hair since his twenties and thirties is liking it too. Growing old gracefully and enjoying the ride. We are not quite there yet, and I still take my granddaughters, 10 and 12 swimming, bowling, etc. and of course I do each of those things with them, and still run our little farm. Looks like the petitness is still being passed down. :+)
Sheri

Edited by - Lynner on Jul 24 2009 04:32:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  09:12:40 AM  Show Profile
yay, i've found my fellow petite girls!!!

i've just discovered wal-mart make petite jeans and pants... though many of them are still too long for me... (i'm also 4'11"). but for a cheaper price, they work pretty well. i know old navy used to have petite sizes as well.

i've lucked out many times.... i've been primarily thrift store shopping for about 2 years and have actually found petite jeans or jeans that someone else has hemmed up! my favorite store is Savers!

(Sharon, I'm not sure where you are located in CO, but the Savers in Fort Collins is where I LOVE to shop! I'm sure there are some great ones in Denver, too!)

I think there is better luck when shopping at thrift stores in bigger cities or where there are more wealthy areas... so if you gals take trips to the big cities, i'd check out the thrift stores there for better luck finding nice petite clothing.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  07:32:51 AM  Show Profile
It's hard to find sometimes! I'm 4'7" (yes,really) soon to be 46 and have also went back within my weight range and I love long skirts-I'm a novice sewer & have been buying patterns to make my own-including a Dover book on making patchwork skirts & aprons. I may need to do the patches smaller,I'm not sure yet. Thrift stores are great places for finds,hemming is a way of life-I get some t shirts that I have to hem!
Nice to know there's other petites here!

www.mandochicks.com
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  6:43:57 PM  Show Profile
Thrift store was a great idea. I just got a really cute skirt that is perfect for a wedding shower I'm going to. The tags that were still on it said 60 dollars and I picked it up for 10! Woo-hooo!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  9:27:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you ladies! I'm 4'9 on a good day. Plus I wear a size 4 shoe so finding clothes and shoes that fit becomes a big hunt! My sister is a good size and can just pull something off the rack and it fits perfectly (darn her). That RARELY happens for me!

Caron

"Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation".
Farmgirl #254

Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  7:31:34 PM  Show Profile
It's so hard to find clothes to wear off the rack, and having to have everything altered gets expensive. I can't sew but I'm thinking it's time for me to learn. I'm too old to still be wearing kids clothes, but it's the only option right now -very frustrating.
Go to Top of Page

JudyT
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Judy
Southwest Wisconsin
USA
196 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  05:32:28 AM  Show Profile
I sure fit right in here. I'm 48 and 5' and have actually shrunk about an inch over the years. Cold Water Creek and Christopher Banks is where I go to find things, usually on the clearance racks. I love wearing skits the best, mostly because I don't have to shorten them.

Judy~Farmgirl Sister #599
I was born a city girl, but I'm a "farmgirl" at heart, sharing my life at...http://dailyyarnsnmore.com
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  10:09:22 AM  Show Profile
I am barely 5 feet tall. I usually shop at Christopher's and Banks, Kohls or thrift. So I always just hope I will find something that fits nicely. Some days I am lucky some days not..but oh well. We are all unique and special no matter how tall.

hugs
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  1:07:06 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls! Me, too at 5'2". Western stores are a good resource for jeans. I like Aura by Wrangler. They come in petites with different lengths and in several different colors/fabrics. You might also be able to find jean jackets there. My local SteinMart has a good selection of petite sizes and JCPenney is usually a good source.

I have a terrible time finding dress pants. Not only am I short, I'm straight up and down. I'm not heavy, but have no waist. My rib cage nearly touches the top of my pelvis so I'm not curved in there. If I find something to fit my hips, it's too small for my waist and if it fits my hips it's like wearing bloomers!!!

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

tweedlebee
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Samantha
Spokane Valley wa
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  06:47:47 AM  Show Profile
I shop J.Jill for most of my clothing. They can be pretty expensive, but they have fantastic sales.

www.jjill.com

Farmgirl Sitster #1327

www.tweedlebeeandtweedlebum.com
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  05:07:51 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, I'm 4' 11" according to my last doctor's visit. Of course, this is the same office where one staff member measured me as 5' 9". I argued with her that I was only 4' 11". But no, she said the measure read 5' 9": what it really said was 59 inches. I don't think she ever got the fact that I wasn't five feet, nine inches tall.

I have found petite clothes at yard sales, Lands' End, LL Bean and Dillard's, but I sew for my own sense of style: cool buttons, vests, sweater/shawls, aprons, and I get to use wonderful fabrics. I have to hem even with petite clothes, so I have taught my husband to be a good judge of whether a hem is even or not. My sewing room gets lots of use. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  9:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, I'm not personally petite, but my aunt is, and she likes the petite section of Kohls. They have a lot of good stuff. Also, Old Navy and Ann Taylor Loft sell petite clothes.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  8:56:17 PM  Show Profile
Don't you hate it when capri pants fit you right at the ankle? LOL

I'm with Jonnie, ribcage ends at the hipbone - WHAT WAIST?
Thrifts are great for finding petites, consignment shops usually
have a petite rack or two as well. I use eBay, just search your
size (like 6P, 8P, 10P pants, dress, etc.), then sort by price.
Even craigslist is good, just type "petite" in the search bar under
clothing.

We diminutive darlings gotta be creative!

-Greenhaven Gardens
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  12:07:42 AM  Show Profile
Caron, I'm the same size as you- 4' 8 and wear a size 4 shoe!

I've came to the conclusion if I want to look "good" I have to alter that's all there is to it. :(

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  05:05:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm making overalls and the capri cutting line is my full length line -- and it's several inches too long .........Suzanne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Clothes for us "petite" people? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page