Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  7:05:15 PM  Show Profile
I finished building and moved into my house about 9 years ago. I've seen ONE hailstorm that entire time until this year.

We had one in June that destroyed my school's organic garden, we had one on July 2nd when we came home from a trip, we had a bad one one week later, and then today we had a hailstorm that had hail that ranged in size from ping-pong ball size up to two inches in diameter!!!!

I've got a bunch of dents on my car and on top of my beehives. Luckily, I'm in the woods, and I think the trees gave us a lot of protection, or it would have been worse.

I'm going to go to school tomorrow and see how our poor garden there is doing!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  9:03:23 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer:
Sorry to hear that. I hope the school garden is not ruined. Mother nature is something else!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  05:44:31 AM  Show Profile
Oh wow, thats terrible I sure hope the garden was spared. Hope that was the last one for you all.

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  07:54:09 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer, I am so sorry about all your hail storms. I hope you're having a better weekend.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  02:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Oh Jennifer I'm so sorry you've had so many hail storms. I hope your garden at school is okay. Sometimes it will hail one place and 2 miles down the road they get nothing. I've heard stories about using dry ice and a plunger to pull dents out of cars. Not sure if that is true or myth. Maybe do a search online or try u tube? Might save you some money and a headache. No idea how to spare your hives though. Poor bees. Do bees have ears? Can they hear the hail hitting the hive? Dumb question I'm sure.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  1:24:06 PM  Show Profile
Here's an update-

The garden at school fared about the same as mine at home-some holes punched in a lot of the leaves, but it looks like the plants will be fine. Whew!!

A neighbor of ours down the road runs a body shop, and when he stopped out he said to bring the car to his shop and he'll fax an estimate to the insurance company so I don't have to deal with it. I know he'll do a good job at a fair price, so that's all set.

The bees seem fine. The dents on top didn't go all of the way through. I bet they weren't happy, though-it probably sounded like someone was pounding on the top of the hive.

Maybe it will quiet down here for a while now!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic This is getting old fast! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page