mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  09:44:32 AM  Show Profile
I have big luscious tomatoe plants - up to my chest - but hardly any blossoms and NO tomatoes. Any ideas - which fertilizer should I use. I know it doesn't need more nitrogen, but what does it need?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  12:01:05 PM  Show Profile
Bury whole uncracked eggs around your plants, as they rot it will do wonders for your tomatos, also coffee grounds. Make sure that you don't have something eating them also, some birds will.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  2:02:51 PM  Show Profile
Sherri, I had a bunch of plants doing the same thing...until I added super phosphate, or rock phosphate....I get it at the feed store..$4 for a 10 lb bag.....that was about 3 1/2 weeks ago, and now I already have baby tomatoes all over the place!!!! I just scratched it into the soil all around the plants (I have 8 of them in halff of a 55 gallon barrel) and watered thoroughly...then applied it again 2 weeks later the same way.....simple as that..you should try it

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  3:26:02 PM  Show Profile
I went to a tomato stand about 15 years ago with my son who was only about 7 at the time. He elderly man had his huge tomato patch next to the stand. He struck up a converstation with my son and said "come here son, let me learn you something". He walked over the tomato plants and pointed out little stems popping out in between the main stalk and the branch growing out from it. He pinched it out saying "now that's a sucker, pinch it out". You will never get good tomatoes till you learn to pinch all the suckers out. He told him to walk his garden every couple days and pinch them or he'd never sell tomatoes like him. LOL Now I don't know if it's true for sure but I've done it every since and I always have tomatoes. I listen to my elder's. LOL
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  3:38:35 PM  Show Profile
My father-in-law used to go out to his garden and touch the inside of each tomato blossom with the tip of his finger. He said it helped them to pollinate and set tomatoes. Worth a try I guess. He was pretty successful with his tomatoes.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Only a peace between equals can last. Woodrow Wilson
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  4:10:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the suggestions - I plan to try all of them! I read about the hand pollination online - but my blooms are pretty scarce too. I have been breaking off the suckers for about a week - hopefully that will help. I'm going to bury some eggs and buy some phosphate this afternoon. I'm bound and determined to make those plants productive as well as beautiful!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic tomatoes failing to set Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page