Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 My Very Large Collection of Sea Glass
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic My Very Large Collection of Sea Glass Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  06:29:06 AM  Show Profile
Posted a picture of my very extensive collection of sea glass. Do any of you collect this?

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  06:44:21 AM  Show Profile
I do, Nancy...I finally made a stepping stone out of it. Where we go in North Carolina, Buxton, on the outer banks, there is an artist who makes really pretty jewelry out of sea glass. It's pricey, but I'd love to have a piece of her work :)

Isn't it pretty stuff? I love how it's been washed so smooth by the sea.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  06:56:28 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, do you have a picture of the stepping stone that you made?
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  06:59:44 AM  Show Profile
I can take one...I've never really thought about it :)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  07:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love sea glass! I can't wait to see a picture of that jar filled up! How pretty!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  07:11:38 AM  Show Profile
My daughter loves sea glass and she has a bunch of it. We go to a beach in Little Compton in the winter and we are able to find quite a bit of it. In the summer it's usually all gone, lots of summer homes and tourists.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  07:33:48 AM  Show Profile
I like sea glass too. I hope you get that jar filled up. You probably will find some in the mail from everywhere. Hey, that would be fun. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  07:39:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy Jo! I probably have some cousins of your lake glass. I have some pieces and some shells I picked up at Lake Erie from a long ago visit to my friends who now live in Tonawanda. Thanks for the memory! Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  07:50:06 AM  Show Profile
I love sea glass but I don't know what to do with it. I also pick up bits of broken glass and crockery that I find in the woods, but again: why? I need to stop collecting potential craft supplies and learn how to make a few crafts (lol).

My biggest "personal archiving" dilemma: chronological v. categorical. Right now I've got several little containers full of rocks/glass/driftwood/etc. from specific locations that we've visited. Maybe it does make more sense to have a collection rather than a bunch of souvenirs.

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  07:57:24 AM  Show Profile
Amie, you sound like me. I have glass jars sitting all around full of rocks and crystal and other little bits of things that I've found...funny thing is, I know where each one came from, just by it's composition, even if there thrown in together. The only rock I leave out is this beautiful, smooth, flat blue-green stone from Boscastle Harbor that I found my last day in England. That little town and harbor are so much a part of my heart that I look at it daily...it's poignant, too, because a great deal of the village and harbor were destroyed by a massive flood a few years ago, and it is forever changed...but my rock represents the way the harbor will always be fixed in my mind.

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  07:57:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh....Nancy Jo once you start you are never going to be able to stop looking for sea glass...It's positively MESMORIZING

I use it when I make my Christmas boxes for my soap. Mine isn't really sea glass it's more BREWERY glass. Our 1st street here used to be lined with breweries at the turn of the century and they would cart the broken bottles right out the back door and throw them into the bay. Well...that's where I scavenge for mine. Every once in a while the kids will go out for me and pick, but the neighbors don't appreciate it.

Any of you gals willing to part with any?

Let me know and we could do some SERIOUS trading!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com

Edited by - melody on Jul 16 2009 08:06:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:23:17 AM  Show Profile
I love sea glass. My first pieces are from England. We went to visit hubby's family and he found it on the beach. The same beach he used to go to as a kid. We have some from Chrystal Beach in TX. Mostly though we have picked it up in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Our favorite beach. We go in the fall when everyone else is back to work and school. It is just beautiful.

Like most of you I haven't really done anything with it. I look forward to seeing the stepping stone Jonni.

I also have a ton of shells that I don't know what I'm going to do with. My boys find lots of them every year.

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:29:54 AM  Show Profile
Melody, how do you use sea glass/brewer's glass when you make a box?
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:33:15 AM  Show Profile
Tanna, I usually make wreaths out of my shells. I loooove scallop shells. Such pretty variations in colors and sizes. I use a straw wreath and wrap it with an organic looking ribbon or fabric (something in a natural color, undyed) and then just fill it up. I give them as Christmas gifts to my aunt, mom, anyone who loves the ocean.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:52:43 AM  Show Profile
I always wanted to find a piece of sea glass, and I live in FLorida, so was always on the lookout....to no avail. Then we went to the Monterey area of California, and I found enough to fill a small bowl in just a few days! It was easy to find, and I was thrilled.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  09:07:18 AM  Show Profile
Wow I didn't know there were so many sea glass fans out there. I saw a show on tv once about a woman who made really pretty things with sea glass. Maybe I will have a look at the libray or on amazon to see about books on it.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  09:09:40 AM  Show Profile
I love sea glass, too! But I've really never found any. We go to Panama City Beach a few times a year and I always look. I was beginning to think the gulf coast was the wrong location until I read your post, Tanna. I broke down and bought some on a trip to Charleston, SC.

I collect random little things, too. Shells, driftwood, cotton bolls, buckeyes, you name it! I think it means more to collect some little something from nature rather than a souveneir shop!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  09:17:36 AM  Show Profile
Wow I didn't know there were so many sea glass fans out there. I saw a show on tv once about a woman who made really pretty things with sea glass. Maybe I will have a look at the libray or on amazon to see about books on it.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  12:52:40 PM  Show Profile
I don't live anywhere you can collect sea glass, but, I do collect gizzard glass, anyone who butchers their own poultry knows what I am talking about, the little pieces of glass they eat to help grind their food, green glass looks like emeralds, white/clear looks like diamonds, red/brown looks like rubys, I have little apothacary jars full. So , am I weird or what, LOL.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  1:26:33 PM  Show Profile
Geesh, long time no post :) Anyway, yea, I am starting to collect this stuff. Hubby and I went to the beach at Coney Island a couple of weeks ago. I was not even searching for it and then when we reached a bend on the beach, there was some stewn about. I even found a piece of the sea pottery (which is grouped in with the glass, from what I have seen online anyway).

It is very pretty....a treasure that definatley came from the trash. Your collection looks neat Nancy :)

Heart of Ohio Farmgirls

Proud member of Bees w/o Borders and ArtFuL SisTeRs

http://artfulheart.blogspot.com
http://farmgirltales.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  4:23:21 PM  Show Profile
Cherry,

I think the reason we have found glass in Gulf Shores is because we go in the Fall when it is almost empty. The last time we went was right after a hurricane. Some of the streets were still flooded. We found lots of stuff on the beach. Sea Glass, big shells, sand dollars. We also spent hours cleaning up trash that had washed up though :(

Jonni,

Thanks for the idea about the wreaths! I was just thinking about what I was going to make for Christmas presents this year and I know a couple of people that would love that. I will even make one for myself as I am redoing my guest bath in an ocean theme.

Tanna

Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  4:57:59 PM  Show Profile
I love sea glass! I started collecting it a few years ago. When everyone saw what I was doing, they all begged me to start collections for them. Of course, beaches are something we have plenty of. We are not called the ocean state for nothing. Next time I go, I will collect some to send out. I have no problem finding browns, yellows, whites and greens. Blues and yellows are rare and red? I think I found one piece. Still, just going for a quiet walk and looking for the pieces is so peaceful and you never know what you are going to find. I'm not a beach person as far as spending my day there or even swimming--honestly I would rather go in our small above the groud pool. But I do love to go for walks on it.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  02:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Sea glass is so pretty. I had no idea you can find it at lakes too. I should post a picture of something I found while walking through a cemetery. It's a pretty blue colored something..LOL I'm not sure if it's glass or stone. I'll try to remember and post a picture here later today and see what you all think.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  04:41:44 AM  Show Profile
We'll be headed to South Florida next week. If I find any, i'll be sure to let you know and send it!

It is pretty
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  08:02:50 AM  Show Profile
I love sea glass. I make jewelry out of some and also just collect it. I also collect rocks and seashells. I also have a sands of the world collection. I get a little bit of sand from places I visit and friends bring it back for me as well.

I just went through some bags of seashells and added some to my sons sand box. He loves digging them out as treasures.

The best time to get seaglass is early morning. So many people collect it if you arent early, it will be gone.

I have some dump glass or campfire glass too. They used to toss trash by the ocean and then burn it in big bonfires. It melted some glass and then the sand and water polished it over the years. I have some really beautiful pieces.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  09:00:03 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes artists that make sea glass pieces and jewelry manufacture their own sea glass by tumbling it and wearing away the shine, etc. I like the real thing. It has a look to it that just says it has been in the ocean for a long time. I always imagine some long ago sailor tossing a wine bottle overboard, longing for home.......but really it is probably broken glass thrown out as trash by cruise ships over the years! HA!

I found one piece of crockery, dark green on the outside and brown on the inside like a pickle jar or something. It has oriental designs embossed on it.....I always wonder what that was and where it came from.

I have a friend who also finds amazing glass along old railroad tracks. HAs anyone ever heard of that? There is a name for that too but I cannot remember it.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 17 2009 09:02:35 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic My Very Large Collection of Sea Glass Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page