Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic To the Elders Next Topic  

Rosenwalt
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Rose Marie
NY
77 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  5:28:21 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so here I am a greener than green, newer than new, city-girl newbie soon to be farmer girl.
My question to the "elder" girls here is: Am I starting too late?
Now I know you can say 'no, it's never too late', but seriously what about your backs....are they killing ya? Your hands? Are you super tired at the end of the day? Will I be able to keep up?
I'm starting all this new stuff (new physically also) at the ripe ole age of 51.
Tell me....tell me true lol!

Rose Marie,
Central New York

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  5:49:30 PM  Show Profile
Rose Marie, I'm not one of the "elders" here and am still looking for my farm, but I wanted to stick my head in for a minute and say "Welcome"! I can tell you, though, that dh's grandma was still gardening and doing all sorts of things on her huge farm until she was 83! I think you've got a great adventure ahead of you.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  5:51:56 PM  Show Profile
It's not too late. Start slow. You'll find muscles you didn't know you have. You'll learn an incredible amount of things. Some days are harder than others. A lot depends on what you want or need to accomplish in a day. Some days our backs do kill us, our fingernails are disgusting, we have shore hands and feet and we're definitely super tired - but it's a good feeling. When you can slowly straighten that stiff back up and say, "look what I did!" it's a great feeling.

You can start now. Start exercising now. Build up the amount of weight you can lift, the distance you can carry the weight, and how long you can work without a break. You'll sleep better than you've ever slept before. The house could fall down around me some nights and I swear I wouldn't know the difference.

What do you plan to do on your farm? Garden? Poultry? Livestock? Good for you on getting started. Better now than never, right?

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
http://www.localharvest.org/store/M572
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  8:10:36 PM  Show Profile
I am 47 and I say go for it. Sometimes I have achy muscles..but it is a good kind of ache. I would rather ache from USING muscles than from not using them I guess. Just take a break when you need it and sleep as much as you can (I don't follow my own advice there...insomnia)
I am sore as all heck after the first sheep I shear each spring and fall...but thats okay. I do one per day (I don't have very many) and that helps. You find ways around the long hard stuff.
Boy I can relate to the disgusting fingernails..especially in summer.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  12:04:11 AM  Show Profile
I am 62 and I love my farm and what I have to do on it. One day I hurt and the next I don't but I don't want to give it up until I really have to. I do my own work because If my husband had his way a bout it we wouldn't have anything but a TELEVISION LOL. The things I do on my farm are very rewarding. I think the best thing is to just pace your self.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  04:49:45 AM  Show Profile
Remember the commercial and Just Do It. I'm 51 too, and I've been doing this for about 25 years. I'm in better shape now than when I started. There's a huge difference between starting a project, working hard at it, being sore and tired but eventually triumphant, and putting in time on a treadmill or weight machine. Both can make me fit, but only one makes me satisfied.

When you see your seeds sprouting, when you see the crops growing, when you see those jewel-like jars lined up, you'll know it's worth it.

My biggest aches and pains come as the result of training horses. I've been kicked, bitten, bucked off, thrown sky high, stepped on, wiped off on trees and smashed into walls. I see a chiropractor and she keeps me feeling really great. If you don't already, I'd advise it.

You won't get any younger if you wait; pace yourself, but go for it!

"What another would do as well as you, do not do it. What another would have said as well as you, do not say it; written as well, do not write it. Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself, and there, make yourself indispensable." ---Andre Gide
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  10:59:47 AM  Show Profile
I am 34 and I have a lovely neighbor who has started a cottage garden/farm/industry in her mid-fifties and she is AMAZING. I doubt that these ladies here and you are any different. Since I am expecting, I, too, am having to start this season slowly and build up what I can do and when I can do it. You will be surprized, proud and so happy with yourself! Welcome! And everyone here is right - your fingernails will SUFFER! I periodically cut mine as short as I can, then paint them bright red. That's my favorite salvage!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  12:10:20 PM  Show Profile
Yep, with spring cleanup and seeding season upon us, I figure it will be about..ummm..maybe November now before my hands even resemble something feminine again.
My best advice - which I hasten to add I need to follow myself - is not to let yourself get out of shape over the winter. By fall I can keep up with the best of them, but come spring (like now), hips and lower back are killin' me trying to get back into shape. And Mary Ann's advice is good too...make a chiropractor your best friend! I could never get done what I do without mine.
Despite the aches and complaining body, it feels to good and rejuvenating to be playing in the dirt again. I raked and burned fallen branches from winter storms and prunings yesterday. I'm stiff today, but I feel so alive again. Wouldn't change it for the world!
And Robin...I think you and I are married to the same guy!
Diane
Go to Top of Page

Rosenwalt
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Rose Marie
NY
77 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  6:37:13 PM  Show Profile
Yuppers, I'm looking forward to losing some weight. My only prob is I have a disability and I'm afraid that I won't be able to keep up and I don't want to disappoint my husband so it's a little daunting to say the least. But I think it's going to maybe help me to keep moving and get some sunshine! Well anyway, say a prayer for me okies?

Rose Marie,
Central New York

Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  04:33:23 AM  Show Profile
I am 48 with 2 preschoolers and a farm. And many days I am dead tired & achey at the end of the day. Garlic harvest and garlic planting time are the hardest for me. Some people ask if I work out and I just Laugh!
I love the hard work and well my hands and fingernails never look good! And during garlic Harvest time I swear I smell Like garlic all the time. Our off season around here is short just enough time to rest not to get out of shape. Your not to old but robin has a good idea about getting in shape now! Before farming I taught PE and Coached so I went into this in better shape than some.
Once you start farming you may never have to work out again!

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  09:43:09 AM  Show Profile
I dont have that farm yet BUT, it's never too late to do something you want to do. Im 54 and God willing will have my couple of acres and die in my garden. Even in this small yard in this small mobile home, every inch of it has something growing at all times. That gets tiring because I mow w/ a handmower, rake etc. but you just take breaks when you need too. I even told myself I didnt want it anymore, cause I was afraid it wasnt coming. Stupid, I know. My little peice of heaven will be wherever I am. Just go for it and enjoy it. These smart farm women gave you great advice. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  04:45:42 AM  Show Profile
I'm 46, with Lymes disease, bad back and stiff joints, but I'll tell you, if it weren't for gardening and taking care of this place, I'd be high on meds and useless to everyone! I don't take meds, just herbs and vitiams and good ole fashion labor of love! Go for it, you will find a connection that full fills you to no end!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic To the Elders Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page