Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 cutting down on paper towel use
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic cutting down on paper towel use Next Topic  

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  7:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
ok, well as this isnt all that organic, its a system that i use everyday and i never have to purchase paper towels. What i do is keep a stack of wash cloths (those cheep 3 dollar 15 packs from walmart) under my sink. Anytime I would usually go to grab a paper towel to clean up a mess, dust or whatever use i needed it for, i now reach under the sink for one of my wash cloths. I use it once, just like the paper towels that you throw away then i put it in its own special bin (under the sink) with the other towels. It usually takes me about a day and a half to fill up the bin, so i wash them and then just put them back in their place. I have not purchased paper towels in about two years and i love not having to spend 12 dollars on a bundle of them.

Happy cleaning!

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  9:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I do something similar too, Claudia! I hate buying paper towels and I even use a bit of flannel to oil my cast iron skillets. The only paper products we use in our house is toilet paper. :D Great post!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  06:33:02 AM  Show Profile
I use tea towels and rags in place of paper towels. I started doing it to save money and just kept on because I was used to it. I don't think I've bought paper towels in 3-4 years. When people come over they always ask "where are your paper towels?" LOL!! I use newspapers, advertisements and flour/sugar sacks to drain the grease off fried foods. This way I never have to worry about spending all that money on paper towels. Yeah us!!

Farmgirl # 639
Go to Top of Page

cajungrammie
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

tina
dry prong la.
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  06:59:34 AM  Show Profile  Send cajungrammie a Yahoo! Message
Great Idea!i too use rags and cheap washcloths,it is so wasteful to purchase paper towels!way to go green!!!!

Sometimes I think I know Everything!!Then I wake Up!!
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  11:36:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
I like the newspaper idea too!

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  12:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have certain rags I keep seperate for really greasy things like bacon, low lint flannel is nice and I have never had a problem. I do try to wash them seperately though. That way I don't get grease on the ones I use for windows.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1672 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1672 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  1:10:07 PM  Show Profile
I use old t-shirts for dusting etc. and I like to use the cheap washclothes. Saves on money and I guess it's green because your reuing the items. I just separate the ones I use for kitchen and cleaning.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  2:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
I cut up my hubbys old nasty work tshirts and use them as rags for everything. He loves wearing a white tshirt so this works both ways..when I take his for rags he has to buy new ones for work..he hates to spend money on anything especially for himself!!

Marcy #257

http://marcysmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  09:38:57 AM  Show Profile
This is a great post!
I'm working on the "no more paper towels or paper napkins" thing too. I just got re-inspired from the "no spend week and big kitchen table discussion" on Rhonda Jean's blog -
http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2009/07/biggest-kitchen-table-simple-home-audit.html
I keep rags (cut pieces of larger towels) under my kitchen sink, too. Cloth napkins are easy to find in thrift shops/garage sales for very cheap prices (I guess a lot of people just don't use them anymore)and washing these rags and napkins is not a big deal, I just add the dirty ones to a load of towels or whites. Don't even notice it!
I lay out several layers of brown kraft paper (from brown bags) on a cookie sheet or plate to drain grease from cooked foods. It might be safer then newsprint (ink) and the paper towel (bleached paper). Besides if you have an option at your grocery store of paper or plastic, always take the paper! I'm finally getting into the habit of bringing my fabric tote bags with me when I shop. That's another change I've made.
One more - crumbled newspaper (with black ink) and vinegar diluted with water in a spray bottle does a great job of cleaning windows!

Cathyjean

www.AuntDaisysCottage.blogspot.com
www.AuntDaisysShoppe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  2:44:37 PM  Show Profile
I use my crochet dishcloths for spills on the counter. One color is for dishes and another for counters. This way you won't get cross-contamination. Also, I found a great site of earth friendly products called "Preserve" you can do a store locator and find their products locally. They have plastic utensils you can wash and reuse. Better than metal ones. They leech out just like pots and pans do.
You can also use your husband old socks for dusting mits.

Marjean

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards and jewelry, vintage tote bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
jeanpatch.wordpress.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  04:35:33 AM  Show Profile
absolutely!!! I have even thought of buying hankies to use instead of tissue paper to blow my nose

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  04:43:10 AM  Show Profile
When you rinse off raw chicken, what do you use to dry it?

I use inexpensive, white terry cloths for wiping up, etc., but I do use paper towels for those chickens.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com

Edited by - katie-ell on Jul 17 2009 04:52:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  4:36:51 PM  Show Profile
For the past two years I use cleaning rags that I buy from Home Depot instead of paper towels. It has really cut down on garbage and the costs of paper towels.I usually buy two packages for around $8 a year. I do use paper towels for meats and spills though, but that's it!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  04:47:53 AM  Show Profile
Love these threads, they are so helpful and give me such great ideas to help go green and save money. Thanks

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  05:05:05 AM  Show Profile
Melanie,
Get a few hankies and you'll never go back to your kleenex box again!!
Tammyb
Sisterchick #541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic cutting down on paper towel use Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page