Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Counted Cross Stitch Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Counted Cross Stitch Question Next Topic  

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:17:18 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know if counted cross stitch is alot harder than a printed pattern cross stitch? I've done printed patterns before but never the counted cross stitch. I'm thinking of making christmas stockings for my 8 grandkids. I was going to do needlepoint ones but they are way too expensive. I found a site that has counted cross stitch kits for half the price of the needlepoint kits, but I don't know if I could do them and if I can get 8 done by Christmas. Any help or suggestions appreciated!

Shari

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment, it's not just about survival. Live every second to it's fullest!

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:36:15 AM  Show Profile
Counted cross stitch goes pretty fast too if you don't have abunch of 1/2 or 1/4 stitches and a lot of color changes.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  08:18:24 AM  Show Profile
I really like counted cross-stitch. I've actually never done a printed pattern. Once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty fast. I bet your christmas stockings willbe beautiful!

Farmgirl # 639
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  08:27:10 AM  Show Profile
Depending on how big the stockings, if you have to fill in the background and how fast you stitch, but realistically eight by christmas is ambitious! If you do this, set a goal of how much time you have to work each stocking, and build in time for the unexpected and for resting your hand. When you finish post pictures!

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  08:52:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi Shari,

I made counted cross stitch stockings for our family of four. It took me just about a year to complete them, because they were very heavily stitched. I have to say that it was really worth it though! Every year when I get them out to hang on the mantel, I still just LOVE them.

I found that I couldn't work on it at night when I was tired or in dim lighting. The next day, I would always find mistakes and have to take it out and start over anyway. It's really just a matter of paying attention, since you do have to count the stitches and rows. Other than that, it's really not difficult.

I bought extra fabric, so that someday I will be able to make our stockings for any new family members.

All the best with your project,
Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  1:28:05 PM  Show Profile
:) I find that counted cross stitch is only more difficult than stamped because I get my rows off pretty often. You have to make sure you follow right to the graph, or your picture will show fanorky.
It is just as easy as far as the stitching.
I'm not the best at paying attention, but both ways to cross stitch are pretty nice. imho :)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  2:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I have done both and I like the counted so much better...though too small for my eyes now.

The printed fabrics just weren't enjoyable to me like watching a plain fabric gradually have a picture appear on it! That's an awsome joy! I also prefered the type of design that was very forgiving because I still made mistakes....by forgiving I mean clouds, trees, etc. shapes that are not very rigid or detailed.
I agree that 8 by Christmas is ambitious...depending on how much time you plan to work on them...and also remember your hands and fingers could get sore.

I only do plastic canvas needlepoint now because it's bigger....but I'd be bored stitching over an already printed pattern. If I make a mistake sometimes I just turn that into part of an altered creation!
Good luck and have fun!!

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1676 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1676 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  2:14:25 PM  Show Profile
I've done both counted and stamped I prefer the counted. You do have to pay attention to your graph,but the results will be worth it. Doning 8 stockings by Christmas is very ambitious but I'd gage myself like Merry said. Good luck and would like to see some pictures when your done with them.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  7:08:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much everyone! I think that I'm going to start on them and if I only get 3 done by Christmas then I will send those 3 to the 3 grandkids that will be stationed in Mississippi ( their Dad is in the Navy)and won't be with the entire family at christmas. Something special for them and the other kids won't be able to get upset or jealous. Thanks so much for your encouragement and thoughts. I'll post pictures when I get them done!

Shari

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment, it's not just about survival. Live every second to it's fullest!

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Counted Cross Stitch Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page