Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic aphids on my black eyed peas Next Topic  

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  11:28:02 AM  Show Profile
I have some peas just putting on blooms and now I see aphids getting on them. Does anyone have a remedy other than sevens dust. I know if I asked my Dad that's what he would say to use. I haven't used any chemicals in my garden at all and I really don't want to start now.

thanks
~Sharlet~

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  12:46:15 PM  Show Profile
Use dishsoap or dirty dishwater. I fill my sprayer with it and you have to be meticulous and get the undersides of leaves and everywhere. It kills them on contact. However, check the plants daily for more as eggs hatch and they will be right back...but only for a little while.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  7:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Sharlet:
Gross. Are aphids wormy thing? I hate those thing.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  07:21:58 AM  Show Profile
Hey Marly,

No their not worms. They are a green colored bug that leaves a rust colored residue on the stalks. I am trying to get rid of them before my plants get any bigger. I don't have peas making on most of the plants yet, but they are blooming. Hopefully I can save them. I need my peas! I am a peapicker you know. lol
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  08:23:07 AM  Show Profile
You could run up to Colorado, there is a town there that has turned red for all the ladybugs they have this year, and ladybugs love aphids

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  08:31:12 AM  Show Profile
I would love to run up to Colorado right now. The cooler weather would be worth it alone. You know I don't know if I have seen that many lady bugs. I really should get some. Do you know which town has turned red. Just curious. We used to go to Colorado a couple of times a year. I loved it and my picture albums show it.
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  08:52:37 AM  Show Profile
Other than the soap I really would get Ladybugs. We never have had a problem with aphids because of the abundance of ladybugs. We even get them in the house. Besides being pretty they love to eat the aphids!

Tanna

Edited by - Tanna on Jul 14 2009 08:53:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  08:57:14 AM  Show Profile
I had more lady bugs when I lived in town (Weatherford). I wonder if the ones here are being killed by the farmers and ranchers that use chemicals. My other question is....if I buy some lady bugs and release them here, will they stay here or be affected by pesticides in the area.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  11:04:59 AM  Show Profile
Lady bugs will stay as long as they have food and water, as far as being affected by pesticides in the area, I would think as long as the chemicals are not on your plants, or in the air on your land, they would be safe.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  1:53:06 PM  Show Profile
BTW, Sharlet,

Black Eyed Peas..YUMMY! I had some for lunch today and thought of you. It only took me 10 years but DH Loves them now too. I hope yours turn out ok.

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  10:19:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sharlet. I'm not a fan of bugs. However, if I have gloves on, I can handle most of them. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  10:25:08 AM  Show Profile
They are delicious! Just can't seperate summer memories and the taste of black eyed peas with fresh tomatoes from the garden. Yummy!

I guess most bugs don't bother me too much, I just don't want them eating my stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  2:00:13 PM  Show Profile
Now you've made me hungry!

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

Greyhound Mom
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

57 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  11:58:01 AM  Show Profile
I have been using an old time bug remedy for a long time on all of my plants and it works great! Boil together 1 cup Dawn Dish Detergent, 6 whole gloves of garlic, 2 cups of water, and 1 whole onion, pierced. Let this concoction cool, then strain it and pour it into a spray bottle. Spray plant and leaves once every two weeks. It's fabulous and organic too!

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth, and we have a sacred duty to protect her and return thanks for the gifts of life."
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  12:14:27 PM  Show Profile
>> I found a wonderful product a couple years ago up in Virginia Beach at one of the local nursery's << Organica brand "K*Neem" -- it is a concentrate liquid, that you dilute to spray on just about everything that grows!! We had black eye peas that went to town up in our city garden, an' then got covered with aphids..Yikes!!

I bought the concentrate, after reading about it in an organic gardening catalog..(saved$$ by buying it locally) -- it works wonderfully!! I had some teeny bugs on my tomatos early in the season, and discovered they were thrips !! Never heard of the things before, an' right away made up a batch of spray, an' hit those plants like there was no tomorrow.

I think the bottle of concentrate was something like $12.00 -- seems steep, but it's lasted me 2 years now!! The directions are on the bottle, so it's virtually foolproof to make up a batch in a spray bottle. If I can make up a batch (with my horrible math to figure out ounces per spray bottle) an' make it work, AnyBody can!!

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic aphids on my black eyed peas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page