Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Help with my son's senior pictures.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Help with my son's senior pictures..... Next Topic  

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  8:02:13 PM  Show Profile
My youngest child will be a senior this year. He's been getting bombarded with Senior picture advertisements in the mail. The cheapest picture packages available are $600.00...who in their right mind spends $600.00 for Senior pictures?
So, we decided that I'm going to be taking pictures of him, for him. I'm pretty good with my old 35mm camera. I've already set up going to a local sawmill and taking some pictures of him near a huge pile of logs with his bass guitar. And borrowing his brother's new big red Dodge Ram pickup for some glamour shots...lol...anybody else ever taken their kid's Senior pictures and can give me some ideas for scenery or props?

Thanks,
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  8:04:50 PM  Show Profile
Debbie:
That is exactly what I would do. I'd never pay $600.00. What a rip-off.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  9:44:24 PM  Show Profile
In the service they super imposed the flag behind my picture. Maybe one with his school logo behind him would be a nice memory. I think it is wonderful that you are going to do them yourself. We got a college photo student to do our wedding pictures. We saved a fortune, he used them for a class grade and we got wonderful pictures. Hope you will share your finished photos.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  10:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
And you might want to consider black and white, very popular with the seniors. And yes, let's see what you come up with. How smart of you to do this....so many just bite the bullet.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  10:46:47 PM  Show Profile
I lucked out and have a friend who is a photographer, he took a small fee-which was split between me and my son's dad. In exchange, I give out his business card, and recommend him to anyone who will listen to drum up business for him. I also let him use Josh's picture on his website.
He took great shots, and threw them onto a cd rom for us to do with what we wanted. My only problem was walgreens was a little hesitant at first to develop them for copyright reasons. I had to explain the situation, and offered to call him on the spot to get consent.

I see no reason why you couldn't take your own. Just take a lot of shots, so you have a lot to choose from, and get it put onto a cd when you have them developed.
With technology today, you can do all sorts of things with it at the computer photo kiosk at walgreens/target/walmart/etc.
My total cost for Josh's pictures was $55.00-including my half of my friend's fee.
The local pro photogs here started at $800.00
We just had to have a wallet size to submit to the yearbook.
I think that cost me $0.39 at walgreens.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Jul 10 2009 10:55:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4195 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4195 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  03:56:48 AM  Show Profile
I will be doing son number 3's pictures this year. I figure I do everything else homemade, why not their pictures. They turn out just fine too. It is helpful if you have someone come along, to look over everything while you are shooting. Making sure no collars are turned up, no twigs in the way, and backgrounds. Those are little things that you can easily miss.

Good luck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  07:31:56 AM  Show Profile
I teach at a school and I do pictures for about 10 seniors every year. I charge them $75 for up to two hours and 4 outfits and as many locations as we can get to before time is up. They get a cd rom of all the pctures but are responsible for getting thrir own prints Just remember that the picture is more about the kid than the scenery. Do several head shots and a few body shots. Turn your camera. Horizontal, vertical , even angles! Be creative! I am working on a gallery of some of the pictures I have done. When I get a few posted I'll let you know.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  07:32:54 AM  Show Profile
Debbie My husband is a professional photographer and does a lot of senior photos so this is his advice.....keep the photo session as short as possible as boys don't like doing it, for props use things that he likes doing or being around (pets, sports equip, hobbies), keep the backgrounds simple, and don't have his friends or girlfriend around when shooting the photos.
Hope this helps,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Help with my son's senior pictures..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page