Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Angora Rabbits fur...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Angora Rabbits fur... Next Topic  

my5kidzmom
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Jill
Sparks NV
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  3:45:06 PM  Show Profile
My family are the proud owners of 7 beautiful angora rabbits..As I was brushing one today, it occurred to me I should be doing something with it. How hard is it spin or should I donate somewhere? I hate good things to go to waste if someone can use it for sweaters, mittens and such.. Let me know what you ladies think. Jill

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  09:56:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jill, what a wonderful idea....
We have serveral gals here on the forum who spin....I just can't remember who they are...
Try reposting with a title like: "Spinning Rabbit Hair Info" or "How to Spin Rabbit Hair Info" and you might get their attention.
I know it can be done because I had a French Angora Rabbit named 'Puffers' aka "poops-a-lot". A gal doing a spinning presentation said she could spin "PAL' cast off fur as well as the hair from Samoyed dogs & Himalyan & Persian kats.....
Have fun and just keep bagging that cast off hair....
hugz

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  6:02:09 PM  Show Profile
Try posting on the Sheep and Goat thread under barnyard buddies. Most of the spinners post there.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  6:51:03 PM  Show Profile
If you are interested in seeing what spinning is all about I can send you a book on spinning. It is a easy read for beginners and show's the different ways to spin. I looked and there is a part on your rabbit and the best way to get the hair. Let me know.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  07:20:36 AM  Show Profile
Congrat's on those sweet bunnies - I raised Angora bunnies for many year and am always on the look out for their fur for spinning. If you are looking to sell please contact of list and I would love to talk with you.

Give those sweet ones a big hug from this farmgal.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  11:06:28 AM  Show Profile
I just love angora rabbits and raised them (had up to 28 before moving here 7 years ago) for years. My last one passed away at an old age last year. My girls have mini lops now for a 4H project.
I have spun their wool alot..it is wonderful stuff. Be sure to talk to Grace..she is our "leader" in all things wooly...she will have lots of ideas for you.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  3:18:51 PM  Show Profile
Jill, Welcome to farmgirl connection! You could always donate some to me!! Just kidding!. If you are going to sell some , let me know! I spin yarn, but I have not spun angora yet. There are a lot of videos on you tube about spinning and there are probably some about spinning angora, so you can see what is involved!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Angora Rabbits fur... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page