Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 They Paved Paradise and Put in a Parking Lot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic They Paved Paradise and Put in a Parking Lot Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  5:38:43 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I know NONE of my farmgirl sisters do this so I can rant and rave all I want here, right?

It seems to be getting worse and worse where people just drive all over the place through the parking spaces going to another row. I have almost been hit I can't tell you how many times by stupid people cutting through trying to beat someone else out of a good spot. People are crazy! I HATE this so much. I almost don't want to ever go to a store with a big parking lot again. Or just park so far away I'd have to walk. But then I'd probably get run over for sure.

And they don't seem to care at all when it happens. Like they have a right to do that. There are lanes for a reason, aren't there? I use them. That's what they are there for, so there won't be wrecks. Just one time I'd like to just ram right into the side of one, just like on Fried Green Tomatoes. Just once. I am so tempted. I would have the other day when this girl, ON THE PHONE, driving really fast, cut right in front of me. I almost kept going, til I saw the little boy sitting in the front seat. That is against the law anyway. She didn't even slow down or stop at the stop sign. Kept right on going.

Oh, I hope I don't offend anyone here, but I just had to rant for a minute or two. Thanks. And if someone has to boot this off, that's ok, too. Just had to get this off my chest.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  5:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
I so understand. I hate big parking lots and crowded streets. Instead of going into Corsicana where the Walmart is and where most people shop here , I would rather go the other directions to a small town that has one small grocery store called David's. It is a small parking lot and the store is only about three thousand square foot with about one tenth of the selection. They have all the basics though. The get you checed right out,they sack your groceries and carry them to your car. No one tries to run over you in the parking lot either. Actually its a joy to go to. I hope your next visit to the store is better. You know that country song....God is great, beer is good and people are crazy. I think the writer might have been driving in a parking lot when they wrote it.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  6:50:15 PM  Show Profile
Another Joni Mitchell fan!!!! Love her music------

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  6:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
That is why I like driving my truck. I can see OVER the other cars and see if anyone is cutting across. My problem is, with a big truck, they think they can race me and I can't just stop on a dime, ya know?!?

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

LisaTwo
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Lisa
Hampden Maine
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  7:14:25 PM  Show Profile
I'll one up ya'. I have two little boys in wheelchairs. One in kindergarten, one in preschool. There are two handicapped spaces at my kindergartener's school. EVERY morning these spaces are taken by people without a placard. EVERY morning. It just burns me. My guys are little, so it's not a huge deal to have to walk across the parking lot, but how lazy do you have to be to use a handicapped space that is obviously there for a handicapped CHILD, just to be ten feet closer to the school? Some people are just crazy and self centered and rude. Phew, that feels better.

Smiles,
Lisa

http://pinkporches.blogspot.com/

*And you know when the truth is told-- you can get what you want--or you can just get old.* (Billy Joel)
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  7:24:56 PM  Show Profile
Melody, I didn't know who wrote it. In fact I just heard it a couple of weeks ago. I'm a little behind most of the time. I really like it though. In fact it comes to mind often when I'm out and about and watch the crazies in this world.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  8:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh it gets sooo bad out there! Especially at Wal-Mart and Costco. I avoid the first but love the second. I guess people don't like pushing the big heavy carts. I don't mind but I do keep my eyes peeled and my feet ready to run in case someone doesn't see me.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  03:17:16 AM  Show Profile
Isn't parking in a handicapped space illegal??

I'd take this to the school superintendant.

I burns me up when people cruise all over looking for that close spot even morse when I have to ride with them. I;d rather park in the middle of nowhere and walk

No wonder our country is so flabby!
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  04:55:45 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, I would talk to the school 1st, if that doesn't help call the police. It is illegal to park in a handicapped spot. I would also wait next to the car and ask if they are mentally or physically handicapped or just plain lazy.
I try to find a spot in row 7 just so I can remember where I parked the car when I get out. Usually someone left a cart in a parking space so I'll grab that also, makes me a bigger target and makes it easier as I put my purse in it. In the winter thet doesn't work as well.
Kristin, Almost everyone will agree with you I know I do. I hate it when a car comes out of no where, especially one with a stupid person behind the wheel.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  05:17:25 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad to see all these great comments. I do like to park farther from the store just to get a good walk in, but sometimes it is a little dangerous. And also people do tend to drive a little too fast in these parking lots, too. Isn't there a speed limit in there? And then when I have grandkids with me it's even scarier because they don't like to walk right beside me but out in the middle of the road.

Lisa, I would try to find out who parks there, too. Is it always the same car? Have you told the school patrol person?

My 92 yaer old friend always wants me to park in the handicap spot. She says she does. She does not have a handicap sticker. I just drop her off then go get her. I'm not wanting to get a ticket in that spot.

Joni Mitchell is so cool. Still is after all these years, too. That song popped in my head as I thought about writing this and it just fit.

Ya'll be careful out there, OK?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  08:15:28 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Kristin, I am so there with you! We got a big Safeway store here in my small town a few years ago and it is a nightmare to drive in. They are coming from every which way and as some have said on the phone, speeding or just weaving every which way. We are a college town so it is a little better in the summer but they are not to blame for all the idiots. I mean it just takes a second to drive in the lanes. I was hit by a car in a parking lot when I was in my twenties when he thought I was driving too slow and whipped around another lane to swing right in front of me and of course, it was my FIL's car! I was newly married and had never had an accident and had borrowed the car...so I never forgot that lesson! BE WATCHFUL!

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  1:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Actually I enjoy terrorizing people in the parking lots Ask my family! But really I am very careful when I go which is less and less all the time because I really hate to shop.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  5:57:39 PM  Show Profile
I feel your anger and I am going to add my rant too! Know what I really hate? Is when you have looked carefully to the sides and behind you and deem it safe to start backing out of your parking spot. Then someone comes roaring by behind you when you are at least half way out. It scares the daylights out of me. If I see someone backing out, I always wait until they are out. Then go by. There are so many blind spots in a situation like that. To me it is just stupidity to go behind and around someone who is already backed more than half way out of a spot!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  7:43:57 PM  Show Profile
Kristin:
I know and understand what you are screaming about. I hate it too. I went to Wal-Mart just today and there was this young girl in a car racing me to get a close spot. When I noticed her picking up speed, I went ahead and parked a mile away. Really! So, vent away. Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  8:21:15 PM  Show Profile
Any more, I park as far away from a stores front door as possible and just walk. I need the exercise and so enjoy watching everyone play "BUMPER CARS", while I'm walking in....LOL!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  8:56:17 PM  Show Profile
Well. I'm glad I don't live in MN! I'll know who to watch out for if I ever go there. HaHa!! What do you drive, Rae?

Aren't there any laws for parking lots? I would think there should be. Like Mary Jane says about the backing out. I always have a problem with that. Who has the right of way? The person already halfway backed out or the one coming at them. And isn't there a speed limit in parking areas? Especially directly in front of the store when people are coming out to get to their cars.

I guess it's all an etiquette thing. Just be nice and treat others like you would like to be treated kind of thing.

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  03:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I heard on the news a few weeks ago that they were looking for a guy driving a duel wheeled pick up truck in Green Bay after he apparently got upset over having to wait for a disabled person in a motorized wheelchair to cross a street. After the man in the w/c crossed and started around the corner and down another street the guy in the pickup followed him onto the side street and very intentionally ran him down, killing him. I haven't heard if they ever caught this lunatic. I don't think I would confront the persons parking in the handicap parking spots but rather do as some of the other gals have suggested and notify the school or take down the license plate number and call it into the police. You just never know anymore what might happen if you confront someone.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  05:29:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kris be brave

Seriously though at school is the worst, the parents come flying in at all directions. What really upsets me the most is though when I walk out at the end of the day and there is the handicapped spots are people that have NO excuse for being there other than being stupid. Maybe that is how they qualify. Really burns me up fast anywhere!!!!
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  08:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Too bad you can't post a sign near the handicapped sign, saying, I am watching you and will report you.....
All parking lots are private property so there are no speed limits and no real rules. I have been hit backing out and the insurance company just bases how far out you are by a % so each driver pays some but usually it is the one backing out that takes the brunt. Not really fair as it is so hard to see with all the bigger cars parked.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic They Paved Paradise and Put in a Parking Lot Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page