True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  3:05:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,

My boys and I decided to go up to a farm about 30 minutes away that we found on local harvest today. They encourage you to look around the farm, talk to the animals, etc..They also have a little store that is open 3 days a week. I wanted eggs and produce. We were there less than an hour after they were open but they had already sold out of eggs. I was told they sell out in a matter of minutes (see, we do need hens)

What I didn't know is that they have raw goat milk. yea! It was milked today. Not having goats or cows myself that is about as fresh as you get. We also bought some great yellow squash since mine didn't fare that well this year.

The boys just had fun looking around, talking to the chickens, petting the dog. They also have day camps where the kids can learn to milk, take care of animals, and ride horses. I think I've found a little gem. We're pretty excited.

The best part was listening to my 10 y/o talking to a customer that was buying milk. The man was telling us how good the milk was and Lukas starts talking about growth hormones in store-bought milk and meats. Then they discussed milk allergies and raw milk. They had a good chat.

We don't have a farm of our own right now, but at least we can support a nice local farm!

Tanna

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  3:15:17 PM  Show Profile
I think you did find a gem there. You must of been so proud listening to Lukas discuss milk issues with the. That is awesome, and only 10!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  3:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Tanna! That is great! It sounds like they really are doing great! You should encourage them to chat here so we can learn from them!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  3:29:39 PM  Show Profile
Wow Tanna, it sounds like you did find a gem. I didn't realize that you are just north of me in Ft. Worth until I took a closer look at your post. What part of the area is the farm in?
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  4:51:33 PM  Show Profile
Tanna:
Sounds like a wonderful time. I'd love to do something like that. I've never tasted goat milk. If I could find fresh goat milk around my area, I'd buy some.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  5:36:40 PM  Show Profile
Wow, that sounds like a fabulous find! And to think your 10 yo can hold his own in that type of conversation!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  7:00:38 PM  Show Profile
I am proud of Lukas. He is a great conversationalist and I just agreed with everything he was saying. My youngest, Liam, tells me he wants to have a farm like that someday. Yea!

The milk is wonderful. It's funny I didn't realize they had it. It is the first thing on their website. I was more interested in the fact that they let you walk and look around!

Sharlet, the farm is in Keller on Keller Hicks Rd. http://www.sbrowning.net/homestead/ I had to look up Purdon, TX to see where you were. I hadn't heard of it. I would love to be in a smaller town.

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  7:36:45 PM  Show Profile
Tanna, if you ever want a little field trip just come on down. We are only about an hour and fifteen minutes from Ft. Worth. Purdon is a very small community. Population 123 I think. We have a post office, but not a coke machine in sight.
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  9:03:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sharlet!

That sounds like a lot of fun!

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1682 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  9:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Wow Tanna, sounds like you and the boys had a great time.Hope that ypur oldest keeps on talking to people it's so nice that he does. We have a farm that we can go to also and buy veggies etc. It's just about five minutes from me. I do grow some veggies but some of mine haven't faired well either I think it's to hot.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  07:09:53 AM  Show Profile
That does sound like fun. And I'm glad you got some goat milk. I have gotten 2 responses from my ad on Local Harvest for my goat milk so far.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  09:21:21 AM  Show Profile
That's great Kristin. It must be very satisfying!

Tanna
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What fun! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page