Catherine Seiberling Pond
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Catherine
Knob Region KY
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  12:04:35 PM  Show Profile

Greetings Farm Girls!

I am a long-time fan of Mary Jane's Farm and enjoy many of her magazines and books in my collection of too much stuff. I wanted to take the time to say hello but also if you want to read the on-going exploits of another farm girl, transplanted from New England to Kentucky in the past few years, come on over to www.InthePantry.Blogspot.com

Also, I wrote a book (the book) on pantries a few years back: The Pantry-Its History and Modern Uses [Gibbs Smith: 2007. If you like old vintage pantries and kitchens and their history, this book is about the design and social and domestic history of the pantry within the context of the American kitchen. Lots of beautiful color photographs and vintage images, too.

I'm offering it through my website for a special bargain price of $11.95, plus shipping (check or PayPal). Check it out at www.CatherinePond.com

All best and enjoy the fruits of summer wherever you are!

Catherine

Farm girl at heart and in practice. Food/memoir writer and historian. Check out my blog at www.InthePantry.blogspot.com

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  12:06:55 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Catherine, from another Kentucky girl (born and bred :))...I will check out your blog--one of my favorite cookbooks called Prairie Home Cooking, by Judith Hartig, has a wonderful section on the history of the pantry, and good pantry keeping.

I wonder if you are close to Metcalfe County and Miss Wilma?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  1:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Your book sounds like it's right up my alley. I'll definitely check it out. Welcome!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  1:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Welcome from yet another Kentucky girl, Catherine. Glad to have you here. And what a coincidence that I'm just now in need of a book on pantries! :) My dh and I have been restoring an old farmhouse for some years and in the new addition we put on it, I stole space for a small pantry. The new addition is being drywalled(is that a word? It looks so odd.)now and I'm deciding on paint colors and how to configure my little pantry. Love the slide show of the photos in your book. I'll be ordering a copy for myself. Enjoyed your blog, as well. My dh is not allowed to weed whack anything or anywhere without my guidance anymore! They are dangerous with those things!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  1:42:24 PM  Show Profile
I have your book and get it out often and look at it. I miss having a REAL pantry, like we had at the farm I grew up on. Welcome to the MJ site.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  06:42:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Catherine, I just ordered it. I love books like this.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  08:12:48 AM  Show Profile
I just cleaned my pantry this week and love when it is all clean and organized. Love your blog too~!

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  08:16:47 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo, how did you hear about this book? Was it featured in a magazine or do you belong to a book group? You always seem to know about the things I'm interested in!
Go to Top of Page

Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Catherine
Knob Region KY
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  10:06:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Amie C.

Your book sounds like it's right up my alley. I'll definitely check it out. Welcome!

THANK YOU!

Farm girl at heart and in practice. Food/memoir writer and historian. Check out my blog at www.InthePantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Catherine
Knob Region KY
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  10:11:58 AM  Show Profile
I am enjoying all of your comments, pantry thoughts and good wishes! Now, how do you all find the time to read each other's blogs, live your busy lives and post on Mary Jane's forums?? I think I either have ADD, a scheduling issue or both. The FarmGirl forum is fab and I wish I'd found it sooner.

All best,

Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  10:53:51 AM  Show Profile
Amie,
I can't remember where I heard about it. But I ordered it on Amazon. I'll go back in some of my older posts and see. I think I had a picture of it on my site at one time.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  08:18:40 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, I received my book yesterday and it is FABULOUS! The pics, the writing, I love it! Thank you Thank you Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  10:54:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm on the chapter 'The Great Estate Pantry' in your wonderful book. I have questions. How are you related to Mr. Franklin Seiberling who owned this beautiful home? If so, is it still in your family? Why was it named 'Stan Hywet Hall'? Would you possibly know the paint color on the walls(page 56)? It looks like the color I need to match my old Lindemann & Hoverson stove. This is my favorite chapter, btw. My humble farmhouse was built in 1918 and this is the style I love. The linoleum is so great! The stove, the glass front built in cabinets...I could live in that pantry!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Jul 30 2009 11:21:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  11:49:33 AM  Show Profile
Ooooh Janice, I haven't gotten that far but now I am itching to get there...
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  12:08:20 PM  Show Profile
Miss Bee Haven, I noticed the family name too!

I love the book, by the way. Received it last Saturday and, while I flipped through the whole thing, I'm still absorbing details.

I would love to have an "ell" with lots of workspaces for different activities.
Go to Top of Page

Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Catherine
Knob Region KY
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  12:39:56 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad you are all enjoying the book. Believe me, it is a book that I could have kept writing which is one reason I still blog about pantries on my blog. I dearly love a pantry.

Janice, I am one of FA and Gertrude's great-granddaughters. I never knew them but their spirit lives on in their wonderful home-turned-museum and I wanted to give Stan Hywet (in Akron, Ohio) some PR in the book (plus, they have one of the best preserved, intact "great estate pantries" in the country, even a recently restored canning room in the cellar--I must blog about that sometime, too). Stan Hywet is Anglo-Saxon for "stone hewn" as much of the house, in the English Tudor style, was built with quarried stone from limestone on the property. I've worked and been to many historic house museums. I can say, without hesitation, that Stan Hywet is one of the best preserved house museums in terms of its contents but also the Seiberling family's vision and spirit is still there. Their website is www.StanHywet.org for more information. [I grew up in Akron, until I was 11, but visit frequently. My father had many wonderful memories of family gatherings at Stan Hywet and my own grandparents lived right down the road, so we visited often. It was truly another era.]

And I can't say enough about Akron, either. If you ever plan a trip, I can give you lots of suggestions. It is within 6 hours from us in Kentucky so I do get up a few times a year and have done several talks/booksignings at Stan Hywet in past few years. Also a great time to go at Christmas as they decorate the entire house. The grounds are fabulous, too, and there is a "secret garden," a sunken English garden, that my great-grandmother had built, as well as lookouts, a Japanese garden, cutting gardens, a restored greenhouse.

I will also check on that paint color for you--it may take a bit of digging!

All best and many thanks,

Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  1:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Oh my goodness, Catherine. I have to go there. Six hours is 'doable' for the dh and me. They may have to throw me out, but I will go. I'd love to see it at Christmas.

And extra thanks about the paint color. My kitchen is in our new addition and is only just now drywalled and paint ready. I bought 15 gallons of drywall primer last weekend and I'm ready to start. It's been impossible to get a good photo of my stove, b/c it's stored in a dark room in the old part of the house. But it has a sort of creamy/yellow/green swirl pattern, and I'm trying to find the best color for it and everything else going in there. I'm a paint obsessive person. LOL! When I finally researched and found the primer I wanted, I called and called until I found it here. In the photos on pages 56 and 57, it looks like the ceiling is a darker tone than the walls and the walls look like an eggshell finish, while the ceiling looks like maybe semi gloss. It's all just so beautiful!

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Jul 30 2009 1:46:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  1:26:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh, the blog and book look enchanting!
Go to Top of Page