willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  4:01:28 PM  Show Profile
I have a question for those of you who have made pickled peppers before. I have had a few banana peppers coming in here and there. My intention was/is to pickle these. Since I have only gathered a few so dar I dont even have enough to process one pint yet. Do you think I would be able to slice the peppers I have, freeze them and then add them to fresh ones when more com in?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

MissDotty
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Anna
Coralville IA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  11:47:00 PM  Show Profile
I've pickled peppers before, but I've never frozen them. Some peppers, but not all, become bitter when frozen, which would be a bigger problem than any textural changes.
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  05:05:24 AM  Show Profile
I would not cut them up first, just put them in a freeze bag whole and try it. Take one out the next day thaw it and take a bite. I've not had any get bitter yet. I did find that green bell peppers taste bitter after freezing to me so I only freeze red and yellow now. I have sweet and verrrrry hot ones in my freezer and take them out as needed for my salsa and cooking. The only problem I had was thawing them in the plastic bag held to much moisture so I take them out of it and thaw them on a paper towel.
Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  10:24:44 AM  Show Profile
I freeze peppers all the time (chopped for use in cooking through the winter) BUT...I don't know if they would stay nice enough to pickle if frozen first.They would likely be a little mushy. They do stay pretty nice in the fridge for a week easily if they are in a bag and in the veggie drawer. Maybe you can collect them until you have enough to can some up. I love canning pickled peppers..so handy! I grow alot of peppers for my salsa too..and I agree..they sure don't ripen all at once. It would be helpful if they did! For salsa I do chop and freeze them, to add to my salsa pot when the tomatoes ripen..sometimes a month later.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  1:41:44 PM  Show Profile
I always freeze chopped and sliced green peppers for use in cooking throughout the year. I lay mine on a tray and freeze. Then put them in pint or quart plastic bags so I can remove the amount I need without thawing the entire batch. I have not tasted any bitterness with mine, but they do get soft so I do not think they would hold up for pickling.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  1:43:05 PM  Show Profile
Sorry - just noticed I only said green peppers. I also do banana peppers, jalapenos, etc. All for use in stir fry, crock pot, and other types of recipes.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic pickling peppers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page